BX 16v clutch - Where should the 'friction point' be?
  • Help

Default BX 16v clutch - Where should the 'friction point' be?

Hello

Advertisement

My 16v requires the clutch pedal to be almost at the floor before I can have crunch free gear changes. Is this normal?
    To my mind it would be nice if it was mid way through the pedal travel.
    Could this be due to wear in the bellhousing pivot shaft bushes (they're plastic)? The clutch adjustment is minimal other than no free play and a measurement for the clutch pedal travel. The clutch was changed about 40,000km ago and it works fine otherwise so I don't think that's the problem. I fitted a new clutch cable (the old one broke) and the cable does seem to be on maximum adjustment.

Any suggestions welcome...

Cheers,

Chris

Sounds like you need to adjust the cable.
    However, speaking of bellhouse bushes, when my mate bought his 16v, I drove it back from London to Bristol (about 250 km ) and the clutch was fiendishly heavy. When we pulled the engine out (it needed a stripdown anyway, the cams were shot, and so were the big-ends) when we seperated the gearbox, the clutch arm was still stiff, even with no clutch behind it.
    I took some brake cleaner, and squirted it in the bushes, and so much crap came out you wouldn't believe it! I carried on till the fluid ran out clean, and the arm was free to flop around just like it should.
    I've driven the car since the re-build, and the clutch action is now so light, it's probably the best I've ever used.
    john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Mate,

Scroll down this page until you see a pic and read the article associated with it; chances are you have a cracked pedal.

http://www.citroenz.com/BX/Tips.html

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Mate,

Scroll down this page until you see a pic and read the article associated with it; chances are you have a cracked pedal.

http://www.citroenz.com/BX/Tips.html

Alan S
    Thanks for that Alan,

I'll have a look on the weekend when I have an assistant - my leg is not long enough to stretch so I can see what's going on ;-). Funnily enough, I came across this somewhere on the 'net and the official fix was a thick large diameter washer welded in place (does the same as what is described in the link above). The clutch was stiff before the cable broke in midday traffic.

I'm astonished at the build quality of these cars - just when you don't think they can get worse they suprise you!

It has the ride quality of a knackered EA falcon taxi - yet handles like a go-kart....

Cheers,

Chris

Given the mileages some have done, I don't think the build quality is the real issue. From what I've seen, it seems to be that because they are so awkward to work on, the general rule seems to be to try to find shortcuts and these tend to turn small niggles into major hassles in the long term. Associated with this problem, it's a bit like speedo cables and the hassles there, all due to us driving a car designed for an 8 valve engine with a 16 valve one shoehorned in and a LHD car that is now a RHD so ad all that together and what we drive isn't exactly what Mr Bertoni designed.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information