C2 Trip Computer
  • Help

Default C2 Trip Computer

Jeeze, nothing from me for a while, but now I'm on a roll!
    Just seeking some more anecdotal feedback, out of curiosity?

The tank in the C2 holds 'approximately' 41 litres (as per handbook)
    The trip computer consistently informs me that I average 7l/100km.
    My math therefore tells me that I should have an expected range of 'approximately' 585km per tankful? (Even the computer indicates 600km available range after filling up)
    The most I ever got from tankful is about 520km...the available range display goes blank after 30km avail, and I went well into that range (this was not by choice, by the way....I was away from my usual territory and couldn't find a service station - I was in a bit of a cold sweat actually!)
    BTW, I usually fill up at around the 500km mark.
    Is this everyone's experience?
    Where does that 60-or-so km of available range disappear to??? Thats approximately 4 litres of fuel???
    Also, does anyone know whether the fuel gauge runs off a physical sensor in the tank, or if it derives its input from the trip computer functions?

Advertisement
    Last edited by Grayballs; 13th August 2005 at 10:49 AM.

Trip computer functions?

In my mind there is only one way to calculate how much fuel is in the tank - put a fuel level sensor in there. Most likely a float device, as they are the cheapest/most reliable (doesn't that pose an interesting side discussion... ).

The trip computer would definitely be getting its fuel level component from that sensor - and using past/current consumption to work out the rest.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

i find it very inaccurate...especially when you vary your driving a lot....
    its more of an estimate i find according to how your driving at the time if its on the highway or city driving...
    it trys to make the car look economical...
    it would be good also if it gave an estimate of ltrs/100kms all the time rather then when your driving..you do use fuel when ur idling. maybe thats something they might do later on..

520kms? Not bad, the most i can pull out of the C4 is 350kms!
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

350km, out of a full tank? either its a small tank, it's a thirsty car, or you got lead in your right foot I can if I'm carefull, get 500km out of my CX 22. john s
    I dread to think what the turbo will be like, guess I'll find out soon.
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    350km, out of a full tank? either its a small tank, it's a thirsty car, or you got lead in your right foot I can if I'm carefull, get 500km out of my CX 22. john s
    Yeah, well for what it is... i do drive it in a "spirited" fashion
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

My C3 is the same, although I think we have a 47l tank instead of 41 l. I have the C3 Panoramique Exclusive auto 1.4. I leave the climate with the aircon on and set to 22C. I'm sure I could do a bit better if I turned this off, but I prefer the steady temperature all year round.

I generally get about 500-525 km out of 35 - 40 litres. I tend to worry after 525 km as there is only the little light on and no more info from the trip computer. The furthest I've driven on a tank is 550 km (requiring 41l to fill).

The low fuel beep occurs around the 32l mark, leaving 15l in the tank or around 200 km range or more before dry. So I ignore that beep. The last segment turns off around the 35l mark. I ignore that. When the trip computer goes to no more distance left, that's the 37l mark. I ignore that, but know that I need fuel within the next 100 km.

I had a time when the top digit of my fuel indicator never came on, but that seems to have sorted itself after I *really* filled the car up one day.

Has anyone made the average fuel consumption or average speed trip functions work? Mine always say 0 or 1.

Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

Andrew
    I have the same 1.4 automatic also and have never been able to work out how to set it.
    Does anyone have details on how to do this? I dont think its in the owners manual.
    Im still loving my car BTW. Going great guns. Andrew you said that the last indicayor light means there is 35 ltrs left in the tank is this right?
    I have driven my car when the warning light came on but how many more miles can i go before I have to refuel?

with most citroen cars I've ever had, the warning light starts to come on, and go off, for some time before it's on permanantly.
    When the light is on all the time, there is only about 5 litres left in the tank.
    But you would be silly to let it go that far, as it drags up all the sludge and crap from the bottom of the tank. john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    Hey Smiffy,

the most fuel efficient petrol CX I've ever driven The GTi Turbo ..... Easily surpasses the economy of the old carby motors. I used to struggle to get 28mpg out of the CX2400 5spd. 34mpg is consistanty returned from the turbo. I used to get 22mpg out of the 2400 around town .... The turbo is about 24mpg (last tank was 21mpg, but gee's they were low speed, frozen torturous km's for fuel economy).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Andrew
    I have the same 1.4 automatic also and have never been able to work out how to set it.
    Does anyone have details on how to do this? I dont think its in the owners manual.
    Im still loving my car BTW. Going great guns. Andrew you said that the last indicayor light means there is 35 ltrs left in the tank is this right?
    I have driven my car when the warning light came on but how many more miles can i go before I have to refuel?
    It's not in the manual. I tried cycling through the trip to average speed and pressing B for a short while, but all it does is flash and reset the trip distance. I'd really like to know how to make them work.

I meant that I've used ~ 35l when the last indicator pops off. I use this figure as a rough guide - it changes depending on the phase of the moon, how /what type of driving I'm doing, etc. Generally, I consider there to be 100 km left when the last segment turns off (leaving just the little orange warning light).

That leaves 10-12 litres, which means at least 100, and up to 200 km if you're driving at slow highway speeds. I use those 100 km to try to sync with the cheap petrol day (usually Tuesday around here), but I usually lose my nerve fairly shortly after 525 km has been racked up.

Most of my fuel top ups take between 35 and 38l, and very very rarely takes more than 40 l. That leaves seven (15%) to twelve litres (25%) in the bottom of the tank which prevents the sludge from getting into the fuel system.

I assume the car is going to get about 7.2 l/100 km for my driving style, and that helps calculate how much further I *really* have to go if I need to push it, but I try not to.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by jasC2
    i find it very inaccurate...especially when you vary your driving a lot....
    its more of an estimate i find according to how your driving at the time if its on the highway or city driving...
    it trys to make the car look economical...
    ?? How is it ever going to be accurate if you vary your driving style a lot? It's (basically) responding to your right foot.

It's not trying to do anything other than tell you how you are driving at the time
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by vanderaj
    Most of my fuel top ups take between 35 and 38l, and very very rarely takes more than 40 l. That leaves seven (15%) to twelve litres (25%) in the bottom of the tank which prevents the sludge from getting into the fuel system.
    *sigh*

If the fuel pickup is at the very bottom of the tank (as it is on pretty much every car) how does the tank level effect sludge? You're always getting the fuel from the bottom of the tank.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    *sigh*

If the fuel pickup is at the very bottom of the tank (as it is on pretty much every car) how does the tank level effect sludge? You're always getting the fuel from the bottom of the tank.
    Not entirely true, Simon.
    I don't know about the C2 tank particularly, but most fuel tanks have a recessed area in the bottom of the tank for sludge to collect. It is usually lower and on the opposite side - or at least away - from the fuel pick-up point.
    And I think I may have just answered my own question...that part of the fuel quantity, which is undoubtedly included in the tank capacity, is unuseable.
    Of course!

I've posted a few "secrets" of the C3 to the CCCV website, here:

http://www.citcarclubvic.org.au/arti...50831205843826

thanks,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by vanderaj
    I've posted a few "secrets" of the C3 to the CCCV website, here:

http://www.citcarclubvic.org.au/arti...50831205843826

thanks,
    Andrew

"Want to wash your car?

Take the key out of the ignition. Press the wiper stalk *down* and the wipers move to the top of their movement. Handy to wash the bottom of the screen. Or not. "

Well that explains how I managed to get the wipers on the C4 I was driving into the high position. I was a bit puzzled by that.

Troy.

I have just registered for that site and your instructions are great keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayballs
    Not entirely true, Simon.
    I don't know about the C2 tank particularly, but most fuel tanks have a recessed area in the bottom of the tank for sludge to collect. It is usually lower and on the opposite side - or at least away - from the fuel pick-up point.
    With respect, it sounds like a bit of guessing going on here. So if the tank then goes empty, how does all this sludge then get into the feeder? I think this is a bit of an old wives tale. From my trusty 'ol '73 Corolla to my current ride, I have been driving till the tank is empty (ie. usually less than 5-10 litres) and then filling it up. Either my car runs well on all that nasty sludge, I'm the luckiest guy alive, or in fact it's a non-issue.

I'll certainly concede it's probably an issue with a car that's been sitting idle for a long time (ie. a few months) with the same tank of fuel.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Most tanks these days are odd shapes (being made of plastic and all), and there is usually a small filter and a low pressure fuel pump inside the tank.

The feeder line or internal filter is usually a few mm off the bottom of the tank to prevent random sediment from entering into the fuel line / filter / pump. There is not much unusable fuel volume - it would be no more than 200 ml or so, but it's certainly not just a hole at the bottom either.

Modern fuel is a lot cleaner than older fuels, and I have no issues with filling at most petrol stations. However, during or just after a tanker has been or at places which don't sell a lot of fuel, I am always dubious about the fuel quality. That's why we have fuel filters in our cars. If our fuels were perfect unadulterated fuels, fuel filters would not be needed.

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C2 Trip Computer-sv200109009.jpg  
    Last edited by vanderaj; 6th September 2005 at 03:05 PM.

Is that picture above a C3 Tank?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Is that picture above a C3 Tank?
    No, it's a Siemens diesel tank, but petrol tanks are fairly similar in construction. They all have a fuel return line, and the fuel intake line is usually connected to an in-tank low pressure fuel pump. The low pressure fuel pump is either attached to the roof and has a dangling feeder line (a la the Honda Civics and so on), or is like the above tank with inbuilt fuel filters hovering just over the bottom of the tank. The pump also creates a partial vacuum in the tank to remove oxygen, which helps reduce the chances of a fire in the very unlikely scenario of a tank breach. Most tanks are double skinned now, so a breach like the Ford Pinto is simply not likely to ever happen again.

All components in the car industry come from a limited number of suppliers, like Bosche, Delphi, and Siemens being the largest suppliers.

Here's the supposed pictures of the fuel pump and fuel tank from a C3 I obtained from a UK parts website. YMMV.

thanks,
    Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C2 Trip Computer-fuel-tank.jpg   C2 Trip Computer-fuel-pump-tank.jpg  

Thread Information