16v Spare connectors
  • Help
    twm

Default 16v Spare connectors

Hey There

Advertisement

I have found a cable that runs acroos the top of the firewall in the enginebay through some plastic tubing, brown and gree wires, any no what this should connect to?

Also found another coming in from the rh guard just behind the LHM container

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

Brake pad warning wires maybe? john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

I think I've heard it said that they're there due to the LHD/RHD of the models. I've got a few kicking around that if they are supposed to be fitted to something, I haven't noticed in 5 years.
    One of those plugs though, I think you'll find is associated with this.

Citroen BX TZi ECU diagnostic codes

for pulling the fault codes from the ECU.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

That reminds me terry, did you recieve the reader I sent you yet?
    john s

twm

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    That reminds me terry, did you recieve the reader I sent you yet?
    john s

John How you doing???

Yes I did thanks havnt tried yet would you believe.

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

twm

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I think I've heard it said that they're there due to the LHD/RHD of the models. I've got a few kicking around that if they are supposed to be fitted to something, I haven't noticed in 5 years.
    One of those plugs though, I think you'll find is associated with this.

Citroen BX TZi ECU diagnostic codes

for pulling the fault codes from the ECU.

Alan S
    Hi Alan

Yes that wouldnt suprise me that there are spares.
    I have sent a couplle of family photos for your interest, not sure what is msiing off the gearbox thing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16v Spare connectors-p8130223.gif   16v Spare connectors-p8130218.gif  

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

Hello

I'm pretty sure they are for the brake pad wear warning light. I have two yellow connectors with green and brown wires (one each side of the engine bay). I removed the wiring from the connectors to the brake pads because:

1 Regular maintenance is better than driving the car until the warning light comes on.
    2 The wiring was knackered because someone had cable tied the wiring to the strut in the normal or low suspension position. When the suspension was set to high it stretched and snapped the wires....

Cheers,

Chris

1000+ Posts

Maybe the ones from the guard are ABS sensor wires where your car doesn't have ABS?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

twm

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah
    Hello

I'm pretty sure they are for the brake pad wear warning light. I have two yellow connectors with green and brown wires (one each side of the engine bay). I removed the wiring from the connectors to the brake pads because:

1 Regular maintenance is better than driving the car until the warning light comes on.
    2 The wiring was knackered because someone had cable tied the wiring to the strut in the normal or low suspension position. When the suspension was set to high it stretched and snapped the wires....

Cheers,

Chris
    Chris could very well be I will have to trace then to see, thanks, although A warning light is a good backup to low pad wear checks, got caught one where one pad on one side went metatl to metal while I was checking the other wheels at about half. I dont know if these have sensors on all wheels.

Thw car is suppose to have ABS but havnt had it cut in do they have a sensor on the front and back? or just back.

In the bottom LH Corner of the first photo there is a round fitting that has a hole in it, this goes straight into the gearbox
    I am not sure if there should be a plug or cap or what over the top, it almost looks like a pipe fitting ?????? any ideas
    Last edited by twm; 13th August 2005 at 09:53 PM.

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

Hi Terry
    My BXs both have that fitting - nothing goes on it so don't worry about it - don't know what it is - maybe a vent or a plug from manufacturing
    Cheers,
    Roscoe
    1991 BX TZD
    1990 BX 16V (x 2)
    2004 307 Touring
    1990 Mitsubishi Express Van: Alpaca Transport:

Terry,

I forget what that open hole thing is there for (breather?) but they're all the same.

ABS; easy tested. Find a bit of grass, get above 10kph and stand on the brake pedal. It should pulsate under your brake foot.
    ABS light should come on when the ignition is turned on ("K" light on LHS and ABS on RHS of the speedo) and go out as soon as the car is started.
    ABS sensors, there's 4 of them, one for each wheel and they operate by sitting 1mm away from a serrated wheel attached to the hub. In easy talk, the sensors count teh speed the teeth pass by them and if one starts to get slower than the other 3 it eases pressure on that one to allow it to catch up.
    Sensors look like this:

If you remove any of them anytime, be careful not to snap the retaining bolt (bigger hassle overseas with salted roads than out here, but need to be careful anyway) and do as shown here and smear the outer section with grease before you reinstal to prevent rust growing inside the mounting hole and jamming it in.

Alan S

Terry,

The connector near the sphere is the ECU diagnostic connector. This is what you will plug the reader from Smiffy into.

Ken W

twm

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W
    Terry,

The connector near the sphere is the ECU diagnostic connector. This is what you will plug the reader from Smiffy into.

Ken W

Thank you all thats great I will have some time tomorrow to have a good play underneath and around the wheels, I goona do the LHM mod to the struts as well, Also I will try and get at those fiddly hose clamps I bought some wobble extensions and a 75degree drive attachment.

The car has an ABS badge but havent noticed the ABS light will have to look harder. ALso around the brakes just to see whats what.

I will get some more photos as well if interested.

I want to change the gerbox oil as well. I like Alan are a follower of nulon and like the products so will add some to the gearbox. Hopefullfy have a look at the linkages as well.

With some good luck I moght get some reving around done as well

Let you all know how it goes

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

twm

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W
    Terry,

Ken W

Ken fantastic, just saved me much head scratching as to where to find it. I will check the codes as well could be very interesting to see what she says to me.

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

Quote Originally Posted by twm
    Ken fantastic, just saved me much head scratching as to where to find it. I will check the codes as well could be very interesting to see what she says to me.

If the "K" light's not on, probably nothing.

Alan S

twm

Hi Alan

K light is OK I just cant remember seeing the ABS Light.

The 16v brakes work well, but dont seem as effective as the TRS, The TRS are really touchy. I will try and find some dirt to play in somehwere. Ive also being reading some of your older posts about the clutch. I have noted that mine is much higher than the brake pedal, so I f I get the time tomorrow I will ferret around under the dash for an adjustment, and check the pedal.

I think my indicator in the LHM resevoir is stuck on up, ge those little tanks hold a bit, I put 500ml and didnt notice any difference in level. I hope my finger is the same length as yours for cheecking the level.

Cheers

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    If the "K" light's not on, probably nothing.

Alan S
    Don't forget Alan, the ECU will remember any "events" until they are cleared.
    So, the car will tell you all sorts of stuff, even if the "K" light is not currently on. The reader I sent terry, can read, AND clear faults. john s

Thread Information