Xantia Towbar
  • Help

Thread: Xantia Towbar

Default Xantia Towbar

Can anyone shed some light on where I can get a towbar for a Xantia wagon? Am looking at a potential purchase and need to do all my sums. I have had a quote of circa $800 fitted by a Citroen dealer in Melbourne. From what I have seen of the Xanita towbars, not sure how I'm going to get my bike rack to fit to it. The bike rack needs a tongue with a hole (which normally takes the ball) Maybe you can get an adapter?

Advertisement

Sparkey

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey
    Can anyone shed some light on where I can get a towbar for a Xantia wagon? Am looking at a potential purchase and need to do all my sums. I have had a quote of circa $800 fitted by a Citroen dealer in Melbourne. From what I have seen of the Xanita towbars, not sure how I'm going to get my bike rack to fit to it. The bike rack needs a tongue with a hole (which normally takes the ball) Maybe you can get an adapter?

Sparkey
    Three years ago, the only option I could find was an imported one through Taylors in Adelaide - about $500 plus $120 or so to fit it if I remember correctly. And it is the standard European "curved tubing with ball on top" type. I couldn't find secondhand ones, perhaps not surprisingly, and few dealers were much interested in helping, from the ones I phoned in various parts of the country (from Perth).

You might have to get what's on offer (while it's available) and get a rack fabricated to suit.

Others may have different suggestions of course.

good luck

JohnW

A factory towbar will not suit a towbar mount bike rack, however you could get some roofbars to fit the roof tracks and mount them up there. That is how we transport bikes on our Xantia Wagon.

Ken W

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Sparkey,
    My Xantia wagon carries a European towbar. People laugh about them, but they look so much neater AND don't damage your shins as much as the ones with a plate.
    Bike carriers; go to the land of the bikes; the Netherlands. All sort of types and models made for European tow balls. Have a look here, it is in Dutch but the pictures show a lot:
    http://www.fietsendragers.nl/scripts...ail.asp?m=rh2f

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W
    A factory towbar will not suit a towbar mount bike rack, however you could get some roofbars to fit the roof tracks and mount them up there. That is how we transport bikes on our Xantia Wagon.

Ken W
    Thanks for those suggestions. Have bike mounts for the roof racks but when doing a long trip 3000kms - it doesn't help much with the fuel consumption!!!!

May try to get something made up that will go on the tow bar and fit the bike rack.

Any more suggestions welcome or know where stuff like this can be done.

Tadpole

Hi Sparkey,

I went through exactly the same dilemna. I finally spent the bucks and bought a new factory towbar. Then to allow a bike rack to attach I purchased a standard Hayman Reese tongue and had a metal fabricator weld on a steel block with a hole through it using the supplied Euro tow hook as a pattern.

It got damned expensive, but worked well. Carries up to 4 bikes happily without flexing, and the ball height is very close to original. If you like contact me off list and I'll send you a photo.

Greg

Default Xantia Towbar Options

Quote Originally Posted by gregx
    Hi Sparkey,

I went through exactly the same dilemna. I finally spent the bucks and bought a new factory towbar. Then to allow a bike rack to attach I purchased a standard Hayman Reese tongue and had a metal fabricator weld on a steel block with a hole through it using the supplied Euro tow hook as a pattern.

It got damned expensive, but worked well. Carries up to 4 bikes happily without flexing, and the ball height is very close to original. If you like contact me off list and I'll send you a photo.

Greg
    Thanks for the photos Greg, this really did save a lot of running around. It just so happens we finally purchased a Xantia which already had a factory towbar, just required an adapter to accommodate a bike rack. The tongue customisation as per your photos worked perfectly it cost $89. Exhaust & Towbar Centre 257 Plenty Rd, Preston 03) 9484 1090 also indicated they could make up a towbar for a Xantia for around $500 fitted. Their exhaust system prices look like they would also be a fraction of a Citroen price, so when I need that stuff will probably be in touch with them.

Sparkey

Xantia '01
    Peugeot '78 504
    ID19B (yesteryear)
    DS23ei "
    Renault 16 (x2) "

Thread Information