c5 steering
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: c5 steering

  1. #1
    Member tom currie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bundanoon NSW Australia
    Posts
    30

    Default c5 steering

    my c5 v6 exclusive has a slight "out of balance" shimmy above 100kph, but only on smooth, straight roads where there is no loading on the steering. the problem is not present if the road is a bit undulating or on curves etc. the wheel balance and alignment have been checked, and rechecked, but they are OK. it feels as if the steering is "hunting" in the straight ahead position. has anyone experienced this sort of thing? any suggestions as to whether it can be adjusted out.

    Advertisement


    tc

  2. #2
    Member Bob Cav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom currie
    my c5 v6 exclusive has a slight "out of balance" shimmy above 100kph, but only on smooth, straight roads where there is no loading on the steering. the problem is not present if the road is a bit undulating or on curves etc. the wheel balance and alignment have been checked, and rechecked, but they are OK. it feels as if the steering is "hunting" in the straight ahead position. has anyone experienced this sort of thing? any suggestions as to whether it can be adjusted out.

    tc
    Tom ; I had this problem with my 2002 C5 TDI after changing the original wheels to Cit aftermarket alloys and even 3 wheel balances failed to fix the problem .I was sorry I had interferred with it in the end, but I had not retained the originals so I was stuck! it was the same just after 100 km per hour on a smooth surface. I now have a 2.2 TD C5 "no problem so far" And I am going to leave wheels on this one alone!. Have you replaced the tyres lately? If not try rotating, this worked on a Nissan Patrol I had once with the same problem.

    Bob Cav

  3. #3
    Member tom currie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bundanoon NSW Australia
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cav
    Tom ; I had this problem with my 2002 C5 TDI after changing the original wheels to Cit aftermarket alloys and even 3 wheel balances failed to fix the problem .I was sorry I had interferred with it in the end, but I had not retained the originals so I was stuck! it was the same just after 100 km per hour on a smooth surface. I now have a 2.2 TD C5 "no problem so far" And I am going to leave wheels on this one alone!. Have you replaced the tyres lately? If not try rotating, this worked on a Nissan Patrol I had once with the same problem.

    Bob Cav
    Bob

    Yes, I recently replaced the front Michelins with Continental Eco Plus. I still have Michelin's on the back so I will swap them around and see what happens. (there's still good tread on the rear Michelins).

    Thanks,

    Tom

  4. #4
    Good Sport danielsydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    4,918

    Default

    Slightly off topic is the C5 steering the electric type like the C3?

  5. #5
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom currie
    my c5 v6 exclusive has a slight "out of balance" shimmy above 100kph, but only on smooth, straight roads where there is no loading on the steering. the problem is not present if the road is a bit undulating or on curves etc. the wheel balance and alignment have been checked, and rechecked, but they are OK. it feels as if the steering is "hunting" in the straight ahead position. has anyone experienced this sort of thing? any suggestions as to whether it can be adjusted out.

    tc
    I have seen this probelm on a few C5's.
    Firstly, they DO work better with Michelins (they are round - unlike most brands of tyre) - try the XH1, it's good value.
    Secondly, (this won't aply to the exclustive with mag alloy wheels) there is a recall campaign on some C5's that have wheels with hubcaps. Check with your dealer. The wheels may require (free) relacement.

  6. #6
    Member tom currie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bundanoon NSW Australia
    Posts
    30

    Default c5 steering problems

    Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Slightly off topic is the C5 steering the electric type like the C3?
    No, the steering is hydraulic, but I understand that the Exclusive V6 has a different type to the other C5's. I have driven the new 2.2 diesel and it has a different feel to it.

  7. #7
    Member tom currie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bundanoon NSW Australia
    Posts
    30

    Icon7 C5 Steering problems

    Update on the steering problems on my C5 V6 Exclusive.

    I bought two new Conti CP Eco Plus tyres (similar tyres were put on the front 10,000km ago) to replace the original Michelins. I swapped these new tyres to the front and so far the steering problem has vanished. This is strange because the all wheels had been balanced twice and the steering alignment checked. Maybe the problem was with one of the wheels. I don't know. Maybe it was the mixture of Michelins on the rear and Contis on the front.

    Now I have Contis all around and I must say they are much quieter than the Michelins, the ride is smoother and the car seems to handle better too.

  8. #8
    Good Sport danielsydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    4,918

    Default

    Tom
    This is interesting as these are the tyres i plan to put on my c3 soon.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •