ID parcel shelf
  • Help

Thread: ID parcel shelf

Default ID parcel shelf

Sure it's not the most glamorous enquiry to come Aussie Frog's way, but what's the best approach for getting something to cover up the big ugly steel plate covering the rear of my cars interior?. Should I just throw an old sack across it, or get a replica cover made up?. What's the best place in Sydney/NSW to head to. I'm not looking for hardcore authenticity, just something that complements the car.

Advertisement

regards,
    Keith

UFO

Go to your local foam supply place. They usually have car carpet. Buy some. Make a paper template in the car (that's fun - not) Cut carpet to shape ensuring to NOT use your wife's "good" scissors.

All up it should cost about $20.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Default shelf

The original was probably a black vinyl covered felt...in Pallas it was a padded with foam piece...years ago I covered the parcel shelf with an off white carpet square..and the difference in heat in the cabin was well worth the effort...consider the colour...and we also had those CX style roller blinds in one of the Ds...they work well too.....

UFO

I forgot to add that I have also fitted rear fixed slat blinds to my D. Haven't had the car out much in summer, but I suppose it helps keep the heat down.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Remove the rear window and rear seats and strip all remaining upholstery off the shelf. Take the measurements for a piece of 3mm foam and some vinyl the colour of your choice. Cut the foam to fit the flat surface only and the vinyl to go over the rear edge and stick with contact adhesive. The window sealing rubber will keep this in place when fitted. Pull the vinyl down over the boot opening lip and adhere. A few clothes pegs will hold this until it sets, then replace your rear squabs.
    I did mine a few months back.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    I forgot to add that I have also fitted rear fixed slat blinds to my D. Haven't had the car out much in summer, but I suppose it helps keep the heat down.
    ..so you drive it in winter just to tease our UK posters?

The heater in the DS is fantastic, isn't it? I like the fact that you can have cold air through the vent and warm air at your feet, or vice versa. Quite a neat innovation.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

UFO

Yes I love driving the D in winter, especially as I now have a Pallas heater box and blower. As you say the ducting methods though primitive by today's standards, work very well.

Mind you, as I have said many times before, driving a D whether aircon or not in a hot summer is not fun
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information