DS Spheres
  • Help

Thread: DS Spheres

Default DS Spheres

so one popped sphere seal this morning on my DS23... lots of LHM everywhere and that sinking feeling!

what price would I expect to pay for a second-hand one? can they be easily re-conditioned? how much is it to get a sphere re-gassed?

or should I just bite the bullet and get the pros to do it?... thoughts anyone

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Seals just don't 'pop' for no reason, simply unscrew the sphere, check the seal, if it's a square section seal, sit if first in the cylinder and screw it down.

Only screw the shpere on hand tight. Ensure the seal doesn't pinch. Nothing to it really. Where abouts in Melbourne are you ?? Maybe there's someone nearby that can demonstrate.

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Sorrry - not good with terminology. The O-ring where the sphere screws in is fine, I mean the seal at the join of the 2 halves of the sphere that have sprung a leak. It looks fairly user unfriendly to me - no idea how to unscrew it for starters let alone sourcing the innards...

How much should I expect to pay for a replacement sphere and a re-gas?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo
    Sorrry - not good with terminology. The O-ring where the sphere screws in is fine, I mean the seal at the join of the 2 halves of the sphere that have sprung a leak. It looks fairly user unfriendly to me - no idea how to unscrew it for starters let alone sourcing the innards...

OK... I understand, the sphere diaphram has probably died. The good news is DS sphere's are rebuildable. I suggest contacting Plaides up in Queensland and getting the sphere rebuilt. Is there anyone that can lend you a sphere in the short term so the cars still usable ??

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo, Sounds like you are talking about a failed diaphram.. replacing is not a DIY job, you will have to get the sphere (if I were you I would also whip off the sphere on the other side - i.e. if it's a front do both, if it's a rear do both) to a Cit service centre or someone like David C at French Connection for replacement diaphams and re-gassing.

I've got the same problem with mine at the moment, if it's just regas expect around $30 - 35 each, I am getting new diaphrams so I'll let let you know how I go cost wise.

You can also replace the original D sphere with the later non-repairable (just need to match pressure and damping) spheres at some loss to ride comfort (not recommended whilst we can still get the originals repaired).

When in doubt it's a good idea to join your state Citroen car club, these guys will set you on the right path..

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

In melbourne you could try Citro Motors, tho they can be pricey. They would have the origional type sphere diaphram or a rebuilt sphere. You could pay 150 to 200 for a fully rebuilt sphere. Sounds a lot but would be worth it if you have a nice car.

While youre at it, check the pressure in the other spheres so they don't do the same as the first one.

The cheapest way to do the pressures is to take the spheres off yourself, (I can assist if needed) and take them to a guy in Williamstown for regassing. I can give you a contact offline.

A further thought, I have never heard of spheres leaking through the thread, but have heard of spheres cracking bin the middle, .....

Thread Information