CX Thermostat Housing
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default CX Thermostat Housing

Yo Froggers

My sons CX 2.4 has a small hole in the housing. I have bogged it up using Sellys Kneed-it but I must say this is a temp fix.

Aluminium welding and machining is out of my league. Hole is literaly the size of a 2 cent.

Has anyone got a spare or know where I can get one this is not as urgent as a beer on Sundays but I would rather have one than a melt down down the track.

Assistance if any greatfully recieved.

Advertisement

Hoo roo

Cooch

Do you guys get Araldite in australia? It's like a chemical sort of thing you have to mix , and then use it like filler. It will work with metal, and I think plastic. Worth looking for at an auto accessory shop. john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    Do you guys get Araldite in australia? It's like a chemical sort of thing you have to mix , and then use it like filler. It will work with metal, and I think plastic. Worth looking for at an auto accessory shop. john s
    Yeah Smiffy we have the aforementioned Araldite. The Sellys Kneed-it is simmilar as its an epoxy type resin that comes in a length that you need to mix by kneeding. Looks like metal and sticks like sh!t to a blanket.

I just won't trust glue patching up a hole 3/4" diam. especialy with the extremes in pressure and temp it has to endure.

I must thank you for your thoughts though,
    Cooch

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cooch Goodwin
    Yeah Smiffy we have the aforementioned Araldite. The Sellys Kneed-it is simmilar as its an epoxy type resin that comes in a length that you need to mix by kneeding. Looks like metal and sticks like sh!t to a blanket.

I just won't trust glue patching up a hole 3/4" diam. especialy with the extremes in pressure and temp it has to endure.

I must thank you for your thoughts though,
    Cooch
    Years ago the water pump on the CX wagon died in the middle of Melbourne traffic. It blew a hole in the alloy.... My father walked over to the local petrol station, bought a packet of the 2part ribbon you have used, dropped a bolt in the big hole, and covered it with the 2part stuff. It was so hot the epoxy ribon actually boiled after it was applied. We then filled it up and drove straight over to French connection and got another pump. I think the pump was finally fitted several years later when it was off for some reason .... As a 'temporary repair' it certainly lasted the distance

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Cooch,

I'm a bit flat out at present, but I'm pretty sure I'd have one here somewhere but connected to an engine unfortunately, so I won't make any predictions as to whether I can get it off.
    First chance I get I'll give it a whirl and PM you.
    I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain I had one of these changed on my old 2200 engine and the replacement was plastic! (Pssst; Don't tell Shane though)

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Cooch,

I'm a bit flat out at present, but I'm pretty sure I'd have one here somewhere but connected to an engine unfortunately, so I won't make any predictions as to whether I can get it off.
    First chance I get I'll give it a whirl and PM you.
    I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain I had one of these changed on my old 2200 engine and the replacement was plastic! (Pssst; Don't tell Shane though)

Alan S
    Alan,

mate you'll have no problems at all getting a plastic one off ... Think BX ... Snap crackle pop .... Of she comes in 3 peices

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: I don't think I have any spare that would be worthy of even bothering to remove.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Alan,

mate you'll have no problems at all getting a plastic one off ... Think BX ... Snap crackle pop .... Of she comes in 3 peices

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: I don't think I have any spare that would be worthy of even bothering to remove.
    Allan if you can get one that would be realy cool then again Shane you recon that the poxy might do the job. Now do I plead with Alan to whip one off for me or do I trust the God of all glues

Tell ya what I'm gonna do.

Alan: If you can get me one, great
    Shane: If my son seizes it, I will say DID'NT YOU SEE THE BLOODY IDIOT LIGHT.
    Next time I'm in Syd I might call in to one of these Frog car places

Any way it seems that the little sucker will hold for a fair while as is.

Could be an experiment to see how good this kneed-it is.

Copulater
    Cooch

I once did a very successful water pump repair this way, but it was sticking the bits together not filling a huge hole. I'd be game to leave yours if it had metal plates each side with a small nut and bolt holding them together, but not as described, as you said.

JohnW (back from holiday, hence total silence)

Quote Originally Posted by Cooch Goodwin
    Allan if you can get one that would be realy cool then again Shane you recon that the poxy might do the job. Now do I plead with Alan to whip one off for me or do I trust the God of all glues

Tell ya what I'm gonna do.

Alan: If you can get me one, great
    Shane: If my son seizes it, I will say DID'NT YOU SEE THE BLOODY IDIOT LIGHT.
    Next time I'm in Syd I might call in to one of these Frog car places

Any way it seems that the little sucker will hold for a fair while as is.

Could be an experiment to see how good this kneed-it is.

Copulater
    Cooch

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    I once did a very successful water pump repair this way, but it was sticking the bits together not filling a huge hole. I'd be game to leave yours if it had metal plates each side with a small nut and bolt holding them together, but not as described, as you said.

JohnW (back from holiday, hence total silence)
    wELL jOHN i WILL ASSUME THAT THE THING WILL WEEP A BIT BEFORE IT BLOWS ITS LID. "BL00dY cAPS LoCK". So I will leave alone till another one lands in my lap

Hoo roo
    Cooch

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    Araldite is great stuff. However, domestic Araldite goes soft at 95 deg celcius. At 100 deg it will return to a liquid. It's very strong. Originally designed by the krauts who used it to stick the skin onto the wings of aircraft. Is resitant to chemicals but not heat.
    Not recommended for the cooling system.

Thread Information