Fitting of a CD Player in a 70s DS
  • Help

Default Fitting of a CD Player in a 70s DS

I am contemplating the fittment of a CD player under the glovebox and I was wondering whether or not it would be safe to take the car to one of those Strathfield/JB HI-FI sort of places.

Is there any other good location for where the unit could be kept horizontally?

Being a hydraulique, I would be quite paranoid just leaving it there with them. That 1st to 2nd gearchange requires a tai-chi like movement from a zen master to make it oh so perfect.

I've been in scenarios in the past with valet parkers and tyre merchants who think they can drive anything, but I think you guys know where I'm getting at. These types always insist a "No, it's okay - leave it with us" sort of attitude. My partner's GS needed tyres and the tyre fitter couldn't find the handbrake - I could just see him from a distance, fiddling about with the height control lever for a good few minutes while I was pissing myself laughing from inside the shop. With a DS, I don't think I'd be laughing as much - if you know what I mean. No matter how much you explain the car's oddities, the more they think it's a piece of cake and the more they laugh as well. I don't mean to stereotype people, but...

Advertisement

I have the feeling they might screw something up as the car is so "different" to a Ricer, etc.

Just two speakers on the parcel shelf and a CD player is all I want - nothing too out there.

What do you guys think?
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

I think you'd be best doing it yourself.

While I don't know much about any D's, I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble installing a bracket (I'm assuming there isn't already a dedicated place for a radio or you don't want to remove that) below the glove box yourself. You shouldn't have much trouble removing part of the dash to feed the wires through the console/dash for power/speaker wires. Then it's just a matter of running the speaker cables along the door sills to the parcel shelf.
    This all may be easier said than done, as I said, I really don't know the cars.
    If you're conscerned about the techincal side of things, the installation guides provided with CD players are quite simple to follow and you won't have any trouble.
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi
    '04 CitroŽn Xsara VTS missed

UFO

Ralph Hibble from Perth makes a fibreglass overhead shell that rests on the lip of the roof rubber (or I suppose the velour if a Pallas). It is horizontal under the visors and comes out about 20cm or so from the centre of the roof front and has a vertical panel that just so happens to be right to accomodate a single DIN unit. Some who have bought this unit then mount speakers in it also facing down. Although from that point you can run wires rear to the parcel shelf.

You can pick up the single live electrical feed you need from the live post behind the dash (another tricky Citroen feature) then run it up one of the rubber on the door pillar. Of course your aerial connection is exactly where you want it.

I have bought one from Ralph for the outrageous price of $65 inc postage from Perth. It is on my list of things to install. I would take a pic but the shelf is sitting in the car which is in the rent a shed.

A couple of advantages are that the ICE then ends up easily reachable above your head. Is relatively out of the way of knees etc and public view and can easily be completely removed (shelf and all if you wish) for shows etc.

Ralph is somewhere in the middle of Scotland at present probably sleeping of World 2CV meet and I believe is not home for a couple of weeks. Email me then and I will send you his addy.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Ralph Hibble from Perth makes a fibreglass overhead shell that rests on the lip of the roof rubber (or I suppose the velour if a Pallas). It is horizontal under the visors and comes out about 20cm or so from the centre of the roof front and has a vertical panel that just so happens to be right to accomodate a single DIN unit. Some who have bought this unit then mount speakers in it also facing down. Although from that point you can run wires rear to the parcel shelf.

You can pick up the single live electrical feed you need from the live post behind the dash (another tricky Citroen feature) then run it up one of the rubber on the door pillar. Of course your aerial connection is exactly where you want it.

I have bought one from Ralph for the outrageous price of $65 inc postage from Perth. It is on my list of things to install. I would take a pic but the shelf is sitting in the car which is in the rent a shed.

A couple of advantages are that the ICE then ends up easily reachable above your head. Is relatively out of the way of knees etc and public view and can easily be completely removed (shelf and all if you wish) for shows etc.

Ralph is somewhere in the middle of Scotland at present probably sleeping of World 2CV meet and I believe is not home for a couple of weeks. Email me then and I will send you his addy.
    Wow, Craig - I didn't think of that part of the car for a CD player. Now that I have, I've just cottoned-on to the fact that I also need an aerial (the roof-mounted one)! I will seriously consider Ralph's idea - it certainly sounds interesting.

Someone suggested I get the real deal, like a Continental Edison radio and use the speaker space that's on the middle of the dash, but if Ebay prices are anything to go by, then paying $800+ for something that's authentic is a little on the stupid side of things. Besides, it would only be AM at best - not that that's a problem.

My DSpecial had a radio stuffed into the map pocket, but CD players don't like being mounted vertically as they prefer horizontal action and I like putting my unmentionables there - it's quite handy!

I really would feel guilty about getting a rectangular space cut out just under the glovebox and I guess that also mean that the passenger would be DJing, as it would be a bit of a reach to navigate around stereo controls when driving... unless I purchased one with a remote.

Thanks for the input, guys.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

You've all struck a chord with me, that's for sure.

As far as having a unit fitted, there are some very clever people working on some very diverse cars out there, usually without destoying any bits in the process. That being said, there are also a lot of barely trained monkeys also doing the job who would not look upon your car in the same light as you or I. (Not a commalcon or rice = not a car!) I guess you really have to ask questions of people who have had installations done, then talk to the people they recommend to see if they are up to your standards. Worst case scenario is that you stay on hand (but not looking over their shoulder) to move the car if required. If you were in Melbourne I could recommend a place that I know has done one installation on a DS, (and I trust their fitter a lot) but as much as driving a DS is rewarding, driving it from Brisbane to Melbourne to get a CD player fitted seems excessive!

I'm in the process (very slow) of fitting a centre console to my DS. The plan is to adapt a plastic console from a 504 Peugeot with two DIN mounts. I need to also accomodate a CB radio. So far I've got the basic assembly together, now I have to work out how to mount it!

I thought of making a roof console but couldn't convince myself that I could make it strong enough to support itself over the full width of the roof. A fibreglass jobbie sounds almost ideal.

The main problem I would have with the roof console idea, however, is that this car will be running in speed events next year, and I don't want to give the scrutineers a fit. (Or miss out on my run) I don't particularly want to be removing it for each event, either.

In the console I plan to have the units mounted about 20 degrees or so off vertical so they will be accessible, but still workable. The top of the console will have a tray to carry all those little thingies we accumulate when driving.

In addition I plan to have a couple of bins on the rail between the door and the seat on each side, as well as a fire extinguisher on the floor of the driver's side.

As a 'pie in the sky' bonus I was planning to leave enough space in the bottom of the console to mount an evaporator unit in the future when I finally get around to adding airconditioning to the beast. You never know, it might happen!
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by donat
    I am contemplating the fittment of a CD player under the glovebox and I was wondering whether or not it would be safe to take the car to one of those Strathfield/JB HI-FI sort of places.

Is there any other good location for where the unit could be kept horizontally?

Being a hydraulique, I would be quite paranoid just leaving it there with them. That 1st to 2nd gearchange requires a tai-chi like movement from a zen master to make it oh so perfect.
    Doughy, I agree with you re trusting anyone other than a Cit enthusiast to drive a hydraulique D, I would be very nervous

Maybe drive it directly to the workshop and be on hand to move it if necessary i.e. book it in for a specific time.

The roof mount console sounds like a good option, handy to the driver and passenger, I had a head-unit installed under the dash where the hand brake would have been on a manual car, on one of the hydrauliques I've owned, worked well without permanently changeing the dash - these days you will find the installers would have a din console that would mount well down there.

Good luck..

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    ...Ralph is somewhere in the middle of Scotland at present probably sleeping of World 2CV meet and I believe is not home for a couple of weeks. Email me then and I will send you his addy.
    I saw one of these overhead units when the troops came to Canberra for the Battle of Waterloo. I thought it was great. Plenty of room for a DIN headunit, plus a CB etc. The unit hides all of the wires and I guess is easily removable.

From memory, it even comes with 'authentic' embossed chevrons!

Fittment is also on my list of 'things to do'. (So UFO, can you email me Ralph's details?) I plan to replace the current headunit which is now hanging just above the emergency brake (surprisingly, it doesn't interfere with operation) with a CD, tuner etc.

Next problem will be how to hide the speakers. Previous owner fitted one in each front footwell, and two more hung from the roof in the 'safari bit'.

Paul in Canberra

1974 DS Safari (aka Sophie Safari)
    1972 SM (aka Simone, aka S'Moan)
    Subaru WRX

What about a CD-stacker in the boot and a compact controller unit in the (rather small) factory dashboard slot? I guess most controller units are the single-DIN size for reasons I don't pretend to understand, but surely someone makes one in a "classic" style...

Think you've got problems with a D, try and mount a stereo in a Series I GS wagon without cutting big holes in it... speakers, what speakers

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

Quote Originally Posted by chris
    What about a CD-stacker in the boot...
    Good suggestion, but I think you'd still need to fit a DIN head unit in the cabin, despite some units coming with small remote controls.

I've just moved from a (work) car with a 10 stacker in the boot to a 6 stacker in the dash. I prefer the new system as I now change the discs more often. I used to 'forget' about the CD's in the boot - usually until I'd just set off on a weekend jaunt!
    Last edited by pajamas; 2nd August 2005 at 11:37 AM.

Paul in Canberra

1974 DS Safari (aka Sophie Safari)
    1972 SM (aka Simone, aka S'Moan)
    Subaru WRX

I was more thinking along the lines of a DVD player, so then you can play DVD-Rs and have 1,000+ songs in mp3 format and thus have more tunes than most radio stations! I just wouldn't bother with getting a screen.

Technology - it can be a lovely thing sometimes.

http://www.brilliant-electronics.com...c_kddv5100.htm
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Thread Information