Fitting ID 19 heads to Light 15 engines??
  • Help

Icon10 Fitting ID 19 heads to Light 15 engines??

Has anyone here ever fitted an ID motor to a Light 15 motor? The early 1911cc ID 19 motors (with 3 main bearings rather than 5) had essentially the same block, I believe. The ID 19 head was cross flow, rather than having the carbie and exhaust manifold on the same side... which would have improved the power somewhat.

So my question is, can you fit an ID19 head to the block of a Light 15 engine?? If so, is any modification required? Would be interested to hear from anyone who's done it

Advertisement

Hi Tony,

I think you would be better off fitting the whole engine - the lack of an oil filter in the TA, and the white metal bottom end of the old engine, would I suspect, mean it was going to be a bit strained by the extra power from the cross flow head.

By the time you did all that work I suspect it would be simpler to fit the whole ID engine - you get an oil filter and proper shell bearings - and you could go the whole hog and put in a 4 speed - keeping the old bits for some time you might want to make it original again. (You do have to look seriously at the brakes if you go down this path! )

My .

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith
    Hi Tony,

I think you would be better off fitting the whole engine - the lack of an oil filter in the TA, and the white metal bottom end of the old engine, would I suspect, mean it was going to be a bit strained by the extra power from the cross flow head.

By the time you did all that work I suspect it would be simpler to fit the whole ID engine - you get an oil filter and proper shell bearings - and you could go the whole hog and put in a 4 speed - keeping the old bits for some time you might want to make it original again. (You do have to look seriously at the brakes if you go down this path! )

My .

Paul
    Yep to the above .... Except the long stroke 'D' motors don't have an oil filter either

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by acreid
    Has anyone here ever fitted an ID motor to a Light 15 motor? The early 1911cc ID 19 motors (with 3 main bearings rather than 5) had essentially the same block, I believe. The ID 19 head was cross flow, rather than having the carbie and exhaust manifold on the same side... which would have improved the power somewhat.

So my question is, can you fit an ID19 head to the block of a Light 15 engine?? If so, is any modification required? Would be interested to hear from anyone who's done it
    Yep - you sure can.
    Its been many many years since the guys & I last did it.
    The absolute best head for it was the early DS however they are extinct now.
    But, as mentioned, usually people put the whole engine in as the block had better bearings (slipper - not poured Big Ends) and clutch than the L15 setup. The problem was the flywheel - you can try & use the L15 one (bolt pattern different) or machine down the ID one to fit the bellhousing. A huge amount has to come off. Then its a simple matter of covering the hole for the ID hydro pump and switching timimg covers. Also neeed to bend the gear shift rods to clear the carby, plus a few other little things.
    Although it makes a big difference it exagerates the need for a 4 speed gearbox.
    So many projects - so little time.

Thread Information