Xantia activa
  • Help

Thread: Xantia activa

Default Xantia activa

I had to take a friend to collect his latest car today. It's a 2.0 CT (constant torque) activa Xantia. After all I had been told about the car, I was a bit disapointed. It handled ok, didn't really have the chance to try it on the bends, but given that it is a turbo petrol engine, the performance won't exactly set the heart racing.....
    I like the equipent level, very high spec, electric seats, aircon, alloys, traffic master, 6cd changer (genuine) lots of toys. Frankly though, I still prefer my CX turbo john s

Advertisement
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yeah

it's the 'CT' Contant torque motor. It appears they only bolted the turbo on to give it heaps of torque. It'd be brilliant to drive if your lazy and let it lug through the gears.... However on paper it's no faster than the 16valve 5spd Xantia (lookup the roadtests). I'd prefer the effortless torque of a turbo motor anyday over the 16valve screamer.

The Active is apparantly an incredible car ... I've never driven one. You will probably find it feels unspectacular as it does everything, even cornering at downright suicidel speeds with consumate ease ... Infact so easily you don't realise how hard your driving.

I have an 8valve Xantia slugomatic ... It does everything I ask of it extremelly capably. It however bores me stupid (maybe it doesn't break down enough ).

An excellent car for "the wife". Though even Ang tells me she misses screaming around it the light agile BX. The slugomatic gearbox completely kills the Xantia.... NEVER get a Xantia with a slugomatic (unless maybe it's bolted to a 24valve V6).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Shane's comments are reasonably accurate. I've had my Series 2 Activa now for 18 months (after 3 years of a Series 1 CT) and, while I've not driven a CX turbo, it's the best Citroen I've owned (starting with a Light 15 in 1964).

The Activa's cornering ability is the most obvious point of difference with other Citroens, not to mention many other cars of often more sporting pretension. You really should find a bit of fast winding road to try one on, to appreciate the superiority. The ride isn't as soft as the earlier cars, in particular the D Series, but, contrary to some reports, isn't reasonably described as "hard" (we can safely leave that to German cars). It would be interesting to know if anyone has tried softer spheres on an Activa.

With high speed motoring not freely available in many parts of the world, now, cornering power is the only legal outlet for the spirited driver. When the Activa stops making me smile, I'll sell it!

Cheers

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobA
    Shane's comments are reasonably accurate. I've had my Series 2 Activa now for 18 months (after 3 years of a Series 1 CT) and, while I've not driven a CX turbo, it's the best Citroen I've owned (starting with a Light 15 in 1964).

The Activa's cornering ability is the most obvious point of difference with other Citroens, not to mention many other cars of often more sporting pretension. You really should find a bit of fast winding road to try one on, to appreciate the superiority. The ride isn't as soft as the earlier cars, in particular the D Series, but, contrary to some reports, isn't reasonably described as "hard" (we can safely leave that to German cars). It would be interesting to know if anyone has tried softer spheres on an Activa.

With high speed motoring not freely available in many parts of the world, now, cornering power is the only legal outlet for the spirited driver. When the Activa stops making me smile, I'll sell it!

Cheers
    Around a twisty bit of road with equally skilled drivers all the CX turbo driver would see is the Activa rapildy dissapearing into the distance.

Really the Xantia is a far more modern car, it's capable in all areas. The CX is softer, handles brilliantly (for a CX), there is no disguising all that nose weight though. The CX is MUCH, as in heaps faster than a Xantia CT in a straight line (0-100km/h in about 7.8 seconds).

I drive the CX simply because I like the way CX's drive, the power just makes it all the more fun. However ask me again on a day where the thermometer is hovering into the 30's Like I said, the Xantia does *everything* extremelly capably, including cooling it's interior. The Xantias biggest let down is the gutless slugomatic gearbox.......... And that's my fault 'cos I bought one with a bloody slugomatic in it First and no doubt last slugomatic that will ever grace our drive.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Nice writeup Rob, good to hear the Activa's live up to their promise!

It's a weird car alright! come to a stop, and the car starts moving on its suspension. Now, I've got that with my CX sometimes, when you stop and put the handbrake on, count to 5, and then the back end dips. With the Xantia, it does that, but it also moves side to side! It seems that it takes a while to make up its mind what is level. john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Thread Information