ID19 for free
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: ID19 for free

Default ID19 for free

Hi guys, I've just been offered a 1973 ID19 for free. However, there is no way on earth that the car would ever be able to go back on the road, as it is a wreck! However, there would be some usefull spares on it, like engine, gearbox, headlight units, and glass. Trouble is, the car is at the top of a REALLY STEEP driveway, about 50ļ, and hot problem is how on earth to get the car back to ground level safely, without it rolling away into the house opposite. The car has a towbar on it, and I thought about using a solid bar with a caravan attachment on the end. What is the towbar attached to on a D? The car would need to be jacked up to clear the apex of the driveway. I'm told the car drove up there, but that was 15 years ago, and the rust has killed it since then. I opened the drivers door, and it fell off! (I mean it really fell off!!!) Suggestions welcome! john s

Advertisement
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi John,

see if it's handbrake works, they are quite a good handbrake (unlike the CX's) if adjusted up and working.

Most certainly ensure the car is anchored to something before trying to lower it down the drive. Would it be possible to back the trailer up the drive and load the car on at the top of the hill. You would then just use the tow car and trailer brakes to when leaving ...

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

If it's as rusty as you say, will you even be able to jack it over the crest of the driveway without putting the jack through the car?

How about cutting the wreck into smaller pieces with a 9-inch grinder and loading the pieces onto a trailer? Or hire a truck with a little crane on it...

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

Any chance of getting a couple of photos of the situation.

Is it possible to strip it were it is? If you take out the Engine and Box its pretty light then. With all of the other panels unbolting or falling off it would be alot easyer to get it down the hill. Over here we have free car body removals, do they do that over there?

sounds interesting. let us know how you go.

Cheers
    MattG
    2002 Xsara VTS

Quote Originally Posted by chris
    If it's as rusty as you say, will you even be able to jack it over the crest of the driveway without putting the jack through the car?

How about cutting the wreck into smaller pieces with a 9-inch grinder and loading the pieces onto a trailer? Or hire a truck with a little crane on it...

Chris
    You would never get a truck up a slope as steep as that, It really is a nasty place! john s

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Hi John,

see if it's handbrake works, they are quite a good handbrake (unlike the CX's) if adjusted up and working.

Most certainly ensure the car is anchored to something before trying to lower it down the drive. Would it be possible to back the trailer up the drive and load the car on at the top of the hill. You would then just use the tow car and trailer brakes to when leaving ...

seeya,
    Shane L.
    It might just be possible to get a trailer upto the car, maybe one of those tilting bed ones I showed you. I think I might have to talk to a few more people first, as this really does look difficult to do safely. The thought of a runaway car scares me stiff

Fellow Frogger!

I know this might sound optimistic but have you tried to start the engine? It might even lift!
    I would remove all the panels as they are all easy, We have moved cars using a large pully attached to something solid with one end attatched to the car and the other end attached to the tow car. Be careful with the tow bar as if there is too much rust it could tear out. The other place you might find an anchoring point is to use the seat belts i.e. remove the rear seats and the panel into the boot and attach the towrope through the boot to the 2 seat belts. You will need a very large pulley with ahook at the end and a long very strong rope. And Good Luck

I have not yet tried to start the engine, as you can't get round the front of the car. There is a lot of overgrown tree branches in the way. Also, there are no keys for it!! How do you remove the steering lock, and how would you hotwire it?
    The car belonged to an old girlfriend of the man who currently has it. He's not heard from her for more than 5 years, so as far as he's concerned, the car is dumped in his garden. I think a chat with Guido (ccc uk) might help....
    john s

Fellow Frogger!

Hotwiring a D is easy, I just wrote up the description, but decided that maybe not everyone needs to know ! pm me if you need more info

Fellow Frogger!

I would be very suspicious about the structural integrity of the car, and would not be using the tow bar, or seat belts to take the weight, I have seen 2 d's over the years that were more rust than metal.

I would ease the car back a bit, and because the car is facing uphill, i would attach a rope, pref wire, or a chain, around the lower suspension arms, and lower it down that way

you could put it in gear and use the handbrake if you need more control.

failing that i would be looking at dismantling the car on the spot. Take off as much as you can, then chop the roof off, and chop the chassis in half with an axe. you could then lower the engine, gearbox,front suspension as one unit without excessive weight.

UFO

There is no such thing as a free car. They have probably had a quote to have it taken away and are freaking out.

If you reckon there are useful bits, then go through with some sort of dismantling, but as others advise, do not try to move the car in its current state.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Gee's guys,

where's your sense of adventure, I say tie it's front suspension arm(s) to the front tie down points of your CX and give it the heave ho down the drive.... With someone backing the DS down the drive and you in the CX with your foot on the brake keeping the speed down ....

Even if you can park the CX beside it, tie the rope on and give the DS a good shove ... In a cars length it won't have accumulated enough speed to do any damage to the CX's tie down points. Use a snatch strap if your worried about sudden loading of the tie off points.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I have a thought (a rare occurence i know!) I have a very heavily made box trailer, you know the sort, you take garden rubbish away in them. This would easily take the weight of a car leaning on it, It has a heavy gauge box steel chassis, and thick sheet steel sides with angle iron framework. So if damage does occur, the ID would come off a lot worse than the trailer! Also, there would be no risk of damage to my CX! Then the ID could be winched onto a car trailer.
    Now, what is the structure like at the back of a D? The car is facing nose in, so it would have to be reversed down the drive. This is why I haven't yet even lifted the bonnet - far too many bushes in the way so a bit of gardening will be needed too!
    john s

Quote Originally Posted by petermelb
    I would be very suspicious about the structural integrity of the car, and would not be using the tow bar, or seat belts to take the weight, I have seen 2 d's over the years that were more rust than metal.

I would ease the car back a bit, and because the car is facing uphill, i would attach a rope, pref wire, or a chain, around the lower suspension arms, and lower it down that way

you could put it in gear and use the handbrake if you need more control.

failing that i would be looking at dismantling the car on the spot. Take off as much as you can, then chop the roof off, and chop the chassis in half with an axe. you could then lower the engine, gearbox,front suspension as one unit without excessive weight.
    Don't worry, I'm EXTREMELY suspicious of the integrity of the car!!!
    In fact, my friend saw the sills move when i got in it, so I'd say the car was totally compromised. john s

Those box sections you step over to get in the car are it's main strength bearers. If there gone, the car may well bend in half as you winch it onto the trailer

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    In a cars length it won't have accumulated enough speed to do any damage to the CX's tie down points.
    You can tell Shane lives somewhere flat Friends of my parents had a BX written off after it gathered enough speed rolling down a driveway to flip over Luckily no-one was hurt, but it was just luck

Take the back bumper off before you try any lowering-down tricks, being stainless it should still be good and you won't want to bend it

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

This is beginning to look more likely. A friend of mine has just got his landrover back from the workshop, and he can get a car trailer very cheaply.
    We don't have time to do much this week, as out group is preparing for a big steam rally this weekend, where much drinking will take place.
    Next week however, 2 or 3 of us will go back there, to see if the car moves. We don't know if the brakes are seized or not. I will have to borrow a bow saw to do a bit of gardening too! john s

It's easy then, put the Landrover in low 4wd, back the trailer upto the back of the DS. Tie the DS to the back of the trailer and ease it down the drive. There's nothing with enough strength on the back of a rusty DS to allow you to use a solid bar... Maybe just try throwing a couple of tires betweent he trailer and the back of the 'D'. Once at the bottom of the hill, winch the car NOSE FIRST onto the trailer. You will damage the 'D', quite extensively I imagine if it's really rotten .... However it's all buggered back there if it's rotten anyway.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Tadpole

Smiffy,

Pity the car is (presumably?) near you in Bristol, otherwise I'd come and watch. Should be a good afternoon's entertainment!

Quote Originally Posted by richardw
    Smiffy,

Pity the car is (presumably?) near you in Bristol, otherwise I'd come and watch. Should be a good afternoon's entertainment!
    I think it should be very interesting. The car is in Stroud, about 30 miles north of Bristol. The ID would be taken to the farm near Stroud where I keep all my other basket cases. I reckon about a day with some spanners, screwdrivers, and forklift, then 15mins with a 9inch grinder, will see the car rendered down very quickly! john s

Fellow Frogger!

Lots of photos please smiffy!!
    cheers
    Helmut

Fellow Frogger!

Smiffy you will have the time of your life, a little spice mixed with adrenalin, a drizzle of fear and a knob of accomplishment, rounded off with a beer mmmm

Cooch

Hi guys, I have a question! Am I right in assuming the D/ID can be started with a handle? Where is the hole for it? what does it go into on the engine?
    The reason I ask this, is to see if the engine is seized, or if the hydraulics will pump up. I doubt they will, as I rekon as soon as there is any pressure in the system, all the steel pipes will burst, but it's worth a try! I'm going up there tomorrow night, armed with some shears, and a bow saw, to get rid of the bushes growing around the front of the car. When I post the photos, I'm sure you will like the registration plate! john s

Well, you wanted some pics, so here they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ID19 for free-id1.jpg   ID19 for free-id2.jpg   ID19 for free-id3.jpg  

and some more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ID19 for free-id4.jpg   ID19 for free-id6.jpg   ID19 for free-id7.jpg  
    Last edited by smiffy1071; 18th August 2005 at 07:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information