CX LHM Leak Question
  • Help

Default CX LHM Leak Question

Yet another problem has surfaced since the car was registered 4 days ago.
    It has developed a smallish leak from what my research tells me is the passenger side "octopus", which I think is a juncture for several return lines, before it goes back to the reservoir.
    It seems to be leaking from the hose that comes up from underneath,(I think from the steering governor ??), and the hose has a small split right where it enters the rubber block.
    I was wondering, can I cut the hose off at the spilt, insert a piece of tube into the block and reattach the hose to the tube, (as the tube seems to be moulded into the block), or do I have to replace the whole thing?.
    I realise that the block acts as a non-return v/v as well, so I guess I cant push a tube too far into the block.
    I thought about doing a temp repair on it with some sikaflex, or something else, but not sure what to use. (if it is at all possible).

Hopefully I wont get too many other problems with this car, but it has only been on the road for 4 days, and I am slowly getting on top of everything. It was off the road for at least 6 years that I know of, so I am not surprised with the problems I have had, but it is such a nice car to drive when it is running ok, I prefer to drive it to the 206cc!! ( Until summer comes )
    Thanks
    Terry

Advertisement

IIRC there is no n/r valve in that rubber block ?
    Just go ahead with repair as you suggest. You better learn yourself doing it perfect - as there will more of the kind in the future

It's not that complicated - but time consuming - doing up a homemade leak-off return rubber complex. Doubt you can get it as spare in your woods.

Note : It's not working retun flow from these rubber hoses. It's leak-off & ventilation returns. No (not supposed to be) large LHM flows here.

If the spit is not too close to the moulded block, then yes insert a small length of nylon pipe as a connector. This is a great short term bodge, that can last for years, as some of the connections from the octopus go into nylon tubes anyway. There ARE non-return valves in the moulded block. They are little ball bearings.
    I don't know if sikaflex is compatible with LHM fluid.
    You will keep finding jobs to do on your car, but then, that is what makes the CX such an engaging car to own, and drive!
    john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

I got a new one from Auto France about 6months ago.
    Cost about $70.
    Personally I wouldn't bother patching it up, as the ends of the rubber hoses will have hardened where it has been in contact with heat and oil. (ie. the return from the brake value and steering).

I actually had one these hoses split and fall off as I drove into a servo for a safety inspection. Strangely the mechanic was not impressed by the river of green running out from underneath!

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Thanks for the replies, I prices a new one, today, and was quoted $156 + GST
    so I might try the nylon insert for now, till I get time off work, as I spoke to a guy at ENZED, and he reckons I could make one up using a brass 4 way block, or a couple of brass tees, and then just put in a NRV in the line back to the reservoir, to prevent air being sucked back in the system.
    Be a lot cheaper than $156 + GST, and probably more durable. But I will ring Auto France, and a couple of others tomorrow, to see if I can get the original cheaper.
    Thanks, Terry

Be sure you are ordering the correct part! The CX has 2 octopussies! I learned the hard way!!! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Thread Information