hmmm... what's happening?
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default hmmm... what's happening?

hmmm...

The newcomers to the marque aren't so friendly with Citroen etiquette... it seems.

Well, i was behind a blue C5 (not the new ones), so i decided to beep the horn and give him a wave (since it's usually a privaledge to see a fellow Citroen driver - we're still rare, but not so rare anymore)..

What does he do? Stick's his finger out at me....

Advertisement

I also had a similar experience with a C5 wagon, nevertheless, it seems the new owners aren't really fans and couldn't careless about other Citroen drivers.

What happened to the days when you'd stop traffic to let in a fellow Citroen driver infront of you? (even tho you shouldn't)

Seems the newcomers aren't really interested in the marque, so to say.

Is it worth seeing so many Citroen drivers around, even tho they're not true fans of the marque?
    Last edited by Uga Boga; 31st July 2005 at 01:49 PM.
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

I know what you mean. In this country, there are so many citroens on the road, that I just don't bother waving, unless they are driving a DS, CX, 2cv, H, or Traction Avant. BX's, ZX's, AX's xsara, xantia, etc are just cars, and it is VERY unusual for the drivers to be enthusiasts. john s
    PS, I still have not seen annother CX on the road while driving mine!! (2 years now!)
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Guys,

to many that bought a C5 they bought it for it's looks, or so they could have one up on "The Jones" by buying an "expensive/exclusive" Sightrone (nothing wrong with that --at least there's some for the future).

This is what you will find:

--GS/CX/DS/2cv/Tractions drivers will wave to all.... The fact there still driving an aging french car says there true fanatics. Actually it's kinda fun to drive past drivers in these in my CX ... You can see the confusion on there face... Is it a CX .... It looks like one ... staring at you ... You wave and they just about fall over trying wave back ... Yes it was a bloody CX (bloody idiot boy racer putting plastic sh!t on one )
    --BX : now in the hands of enthusiests (sometimes), a lot of the time there simply being driven to destruction by someone that bought them as a cheap car .... So you may not get a wave (possibly will)
    --Xantia ... very few will be in the hands of true enthusiests yet, slowly getting there as price drops (enthusiests wives may drive them But do they wave ).
    --C5/C2/C3/C4/etc... forget it .... Highly unlikely you'll get a wave from them. To new, not yet in enthusiests hands.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    --BX : now in the hands of enthusiests (sometimes), a lot of the time there simply being driven to destruction by someone that bought them as a cheap car .... So you may not get a wave (possibly will)
    --Xantia ... very few will be in the hands of true enthusiests yet, slowly getting there as price drops (enthusiests wives may drive them But do they wave ).
    --C5/C2/C3/C4/etc... forget it .... Highly unlikely you'll get a wave from them. To new, not yet in enthusiests hands.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I'd suggest you leave Town before Uga reads this!!

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I'd suggest you leave Town before Uga reads this!!

Alan S
    Don't forget, Mark M, Greenblood, etc.... There's a few enthusiests out there with them, sadly they woudl be in the minority though.

seey,a
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Default Give up?

Sounds like the next step will be a road rage attack on you for being friendly!!

Is it an Australian thing Not to Wave?

When I used to be a motorcyclist in New Zealand every other motorcyclist waved travelling in the opposite direction exept the 1%.

Now a motorcyclist was just that ,we did not have the money for a car and a bike so if it was minus 7 degrees you still got to work on your bike.

I came to Australia early 80s and tried the wave thing all I ever got was stunned looks!

I wonder if it is because things were tougher back then you were riding alone at night another M/C comming other direction we would often stop share experience of conditions ahead and any traffic patrol activity. We were often cold and wet.

When I came to Australia, Bunbury WA everyone was much wealthier and a motorcycle was for posing on Saturday mornings then put away for rest of the week while the car was used.

We tried getting the posers to come for a ride ie Nanup- Bridgetown they folowed us to the 110kph sign out of Bunbury and then turned back home.

Strange, they all owned bikes we could only dream about at that stage in NZ.

I then lived next to an old codger a real old one, and he still reminiced about every weekend they would ride Kalgoorlie to Perth when it was dirt road just to go to the dance hall. This on ancient unreliable bikes. Now it is all so easy and few if any would do this.

Once apon a time you had to be an enthusiast to do this battling the odds, this built up a camaraderia amongst us.

When you look back, the runs we remember most vividly are the ones where it was wet windy and cold. My last big run in Australia on CBX 1000 was thru a cyclone!

Any other theories.

Graelin

XTC

For most it seems it's just a car, not a lifestyle.

Sign of the times.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

When I was a young fella my old man had a bright green/ white 2 tone Kombi and every time we passed another out would come a 2 finger then 3 finger VW wave - we loved it cause you felt like you were in a club of sorts.

Maybe I should start an inverted forks (twice)wave. Hang on I might cop a punch in the nose - road rage

I'm new to the marque and just love my C4. I'll definitely wave.

ps. I've been trawling the net looking at DSs. Wife is horrified but she''ll come around sooner or later

I rarely see any of the older cits on the road since I got my Xsara, (of course when I was in my F*** Telstar I saw plenty). I've had a wave from a C3 and waved back. Last night a black C2 cut in front of me to get out of the way for a fire engine, he didn't even look at me and when I cut back in front of him, he didn't wanna chase me. Very disappointing.
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi
    '04 CitroŽn Xsara VTS missed

Its not just Citroens. I used to wave madly and get waves back all the time when driving the old 504. These days, other 406 owners just give me blank looks, assuming i dont get the finger. Sitting in traffic the other day next to my cars twin - same colour and everything - and the lady driving didnt even give me a blank look. was totally ignored .
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

It's not just French cars, my girlfriend drives a 72 Beetle, and you certainly still get the wave from other Bugs, Kombis etc. But from a Bora? No chance.

Driving the Xantia I've certainly gotten the wave from older Citroens (probably shocked I recognised them..), and a Xantia with 'Xantia' number plates (anyone here?) but other than that time not even from a BX. I do seem to see quite a few Citroens about, but I guess i'm looking for them.
    Time Flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana
    Xantia

UFO

Wanna feel like a Citroen leper? Try driving an XM in Aus. Practically NO ONE waves back

Mind you, in the D it's different.

As others have said the new people to Cits have no idea. With the lack of recognition from the new dealers is it surprising?

Mort parked his black safari on the forecourt of a new dealer in the geographic centre of Sydney recently and they had ZIPPO idea that it was even a Citroen.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

i know this is a citroen thread, but, its becomeing the same in other french makes

i approached a high school kid who was getting into a red 505 gti at the shops one afternoon.

i said nice car, ive got a wagon over there!

he said, pfft, its a piece of shit, i only drive it because it was given to me...then he went on to describe the super duper nissan he wants to get.....

i am still kicking myself because i didnt see the opportunity, i should have said, let me relieve you of this piece of shit, how does 1000 bucks sound??

i need to be thinking on my feet next time if i see him...

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Wanna feel like a Citroen leper? Try driving an XM in Aus. Practically NO ONE waves back
    Speaking of XM's, anyone know if the owner of the white XM always parked in their driveway on Victoria Rd near Ryde Aquatic Centre?
    Do they even drive it?!?!
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi
    '04 CitroŽn Xsara VTS missed

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by OG15
    Speaking of XM's, anyone know if the owner of the white XM always parked in their driveway on Victoria Rd near Ryde Aquatic Centre?
    Do they even drive it?!?!
    As Daniel lives just up the road, I think he should be responsible for answering this one.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Default recognition

It was the same in the 70s when a completely different group of people bought CXs as a better looking alternative to Volvos...

Being what I am, if I find a car locally, I just wave and keep on waving just to piss them off until they wave back.
    I had one instance when I had the CX where a guy with the only CX in town would totally ignore me no matter how often I waved, flashed lights or blew the horn.............then one day it happened..................he broke down, on a suburban street and was stranded. I was approaching and I could see his little eyes gleaming as he saw me approaching as he stood there with the bonnet up all stranded and he waves, all friendly and as though he was wanting to get involved in a deep and meaningful conversation. This was after about 3 years of ignoring my attempts at being frindly...#3 son sitting in the front seat says "look whose ahead, he's broken down. Let's see if he knows what a CX looks like now!" as he waves and I begin to slow, he continues "Nah, F*** him; usually he doesn't recognise a CX., today it's our turn," So I (as usual) waved as we went past.
    Methinks he got the message; he's been a constant waver ever since.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

In Brisbane, it's the same thing - you don't get waves from anything later than a CX, but thankfully (by way of miracle perhaps), I see a pre PSA Citroen on the road at least thrice a week and can apply the Citwave (tm) - and with great gusto, too. I always get a wave back - even without a Fiamm air horn tooting!

Have yet to pleasure a wave at or a wave from a Traction or an SM driver - it must be quite a fulfilling experience.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Default The Wave!

Greetings all;

Well, I drive one of the "new" C2's and proudly display an AF sticker on it...so I certainly wave at other Cits

Graelin, I understand where you come from regarding motorcyclists and the wave..I wave to all the mo'bikes I see when I am piloting my Trumpy around country roads...and most of the time I get a wave back from other riders.

Except for Harley drivers...who very rarely wave back..I guess it is because they have their hands full trying to steer their over priced, underperforming land barges! My

Cheers
    Tony - '04 C2 - Black
    '02 Triumph Sprint ST
    '05 Vespa PX200e

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Nil Time
    Except for Harley drivers...who very rarely wave back..I guess it is because they have their hands full trying to steer their over priced, underperforming land barges! My

Cheers
    You left out incredibly noisy.

We have just had the Mt Kembla Mining Heritage festival here this weekend and some of the local Harley dudes had their appendages on display. They made a LOT of noise arriving and even more when they left. A pipe band that was in the parade made less noise!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Nil Time
    Greetings all;

Well, I drive one of the "new" C2's and proudly display an AF sticker on it...so I certainly wave at other Cits

Graelin, I understand where you come from regarding motorcyclists and the wave..I wave to all the mo'bikes I see when I am piloting my Trumpy around country roads...and most of the time I get a wave back from other riders.

Cheers
    Glad somene else shares my lack of appreciaion for Harleys.

Graelin

Well, tonight I was coming down the motorway from looking at a car, and I overtook a 2cv, on its way back from the 2cv world meeting in scotland. (the scottish flags flying was a big clue) I tooted the horn and waved, and got a wave back. I'm surprised they were still awake, as they must have been travelling all day (it's over 1000km from the meeting, to where I saw it)
    john s
    Oh, yes here in england, nearly all bikers wave at each other, I used to on my GPz 900!
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

There are 2 other Xsaras in Shepparton and they both wave back, I guess it is still the country.

when I was 5 we lived on King Island tassy. every car you passed the driver would lift there index finger off the wheel to wave. 4 years ago we went back to look around and they still do it we were chuffed when the first car we passed coming out of the airport gave us the island wave. Love that place.

Cheers
    MattG
    2002 Xsara VTS

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by mattg
    when I was 5 we lived on King Island tassy. every car you passed the driver would lift there index finger off the wheel to wave.
    It's rude not to wave to the relations

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Shane i will always wave to other french cars......Dont run down all C3 owners....

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information