CX towbar?
  • Help

Thread: CX towbar?

Icon5 CX towbar?

Quick question does the cx have the same sort of towbar mounting brackets as the BX cause I'm afraid that as with the bx I will be forced to make my own tow bar as have recieved no feed back on avaialability of one in WA and the towbar fabricators get all girly when confronted with citroens and start spouting ADR regulations etc ?

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL
    Quick question does the cx have the same sort of towbar mounting brackets as the BX cause I'm afraid that as with the bx I will be forced to make my own tow bar as have recieved no feed back on avaialability of one in WA and the towbar fabricators get all girly when confronted with citroens and start spouting ADR regulations etc ?
    Getcha self one off an older CX (possibly checking for bumper clearance may be required). This way you don't need to worry about ball weight spec's etc, etc... as the car and towbar are both to old to need any standards stamped on them.

With the Xantia I can only tow about 1200kgs, with only a tiny little 75kg ball weight (from memory). Yet the DS that weight about the same can legally tow 1800kgs, and basically have infinate ball weight (as long as the hydraulics have the power to lift it .... You'd be fine).

The towbar fitted to my CX looks like a lightweight peice of sh!t. I've had it all apart with the intention of fitting a towbar off one of my other CX's ..... Only to find it was actually quite well mounted, the mountings are just hidden from site. I've had car trailers with DS's swinging off the back, and nothings broken to date ....

EDIT: Are you sure the CX doesn't already have a towbar. It would be quite unusual for a car the CX size not to have been used for towing in the UK (size wise it's similar out here to driving an F250).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 26th July 2005 at 06:32 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon11 good question

Haven't see the cars rear end yet !!!!
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

I'm assuming your talking about the CX from shannons? (you lucky bas...d!)
    I'm fairly sure it did not have a towbar fitted. There was certainly no protrusion from the rear anywhere. I couldnt look underneath as the car was set to low while it was parked.

Icon14 Big Brother is watching

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    I'm assuming your talking about the CX from shannons? (you lucky bas...d!)
    I'm fairly sure it did not have a towbar fitted. There was certainly no protrusion from the rear anywhere. I couldnt look underneath as the car was set to low while it was parked.
    Thanks this forum is a bit like having CCTV and spys every where ask a question and somebody knows the answer

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Getcha self one off an older CX (possibly checking for bumper clearance may be required). This way you don't need to worry about ball weight spec's etc, etc... as the car and towbar are both to old to need any standards stamped on them.

With the Xantia I can only tow about 1200kgs, with only a tiny little 75kg ball weight (from memory). Yet the DS that weight about the same can legally tow 1800kgs, and basically have infinate ball weight (as long as the hydraulics have the power to lift it .... You'd be fine).

The towbar fitted to my CX looks like a lightweight peice of sh!t. I've had it all apart with the intention of fitting a towbar off one of my other CX's ..... Only to find it was actually quite well mounted, the mountings are just hidden from site. I've had car trailers with DS's swinging off the back, and nothings broken to date ....

EDIT: Are you sure the CX doesn't already have a towbar. It would be quite unusual for a car the CX size not to have been used for towing in the UK (size wise it's similar out here to driving an F250).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Shane, I don't know if you've read the owners manual, but the maximum recommended nose weight of any trailer on a CX is no more than 100kgs!
    The turbo can according to the book tow a braked trailer of upto 1300kgs.
    Mind you, we all know the turbo can handle more if you are carefull, and don't get caught! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Thread Information