citroen c5 gearbox problem
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member tom currie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bundanoon NSW Australia
    Posts
    30

    Default citroen c5 gearbox problem

    my c5 exclusive v6 has a distinct thump when it changes from 2nd gear to 1st when coming to a stop. the thump is hardly noticed when the car is cold but very noticable when it has warmed up to operating temperature. citroen say "this is a characteristic of the gearbox". has anyone had this experience. i know some diesel boxes had faulty valve blocks replaced under warranty but cit say mine is ok. this car has already had the torque converter replaced under warranty.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom currie
    my c5 exclusive v6 has a distinct thump when it changes from 2nd gear to 1st when coming to a stop. the thump is hardly noticed when the car is cold but very noticable when it has warmed up to operating temperature. citroen say "this is a characteristic of the gearbox". has anyone had this experience. i know some diesel boxes had faulty valve blocks replaced under warranty but cit say mine is ok. this car has already had the torque converter replaced under warranty.
    Make sure they fix it while it's still under warranty. Quite often here we here of the soleniods being replaced in these gearboxs due to thumpy changes

    There is a few here with C5 HDi that may be able to help (same gearbox possibly due to the torque of the oil burner ).

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts Uga Boga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    hehe, the same issue is common with all Citroen transmissions.

    I thought it was a feature implemented by Citroen to keep the driver awake...
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

    Expert 2.0L (2009)

    Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

  4. #4
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    Did the thumping start before the torque converter change or after?
    If it was after, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that it has to be associated with that. Based on recent experiences, it may be interesting to see what kind of ATF is recommended by Citroen and which one was used by the repairer as they seem to want to fill 'em all out of the one can. Thumping, is usually a sign of something hanging in for too long a period, so that angle may be worthy of investigation; the service invoice should detail the ATF used.
    If it was there before and the TC was changed as a possible solution, then it's back to the drawing board for thr dealer.

    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  5. #5
    Member tom currie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bundanoon NSW Australia
    Posts
    30

    Default c5 gearbox problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Did the thumping start before the torque converter change or after?
    If it was after, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that it has to be associated with that. Based on recent experiences, it may be interesting to see what kind of ATF is recommended by Citroen and which one was used by the repairer as they seem to want to fill 'em all out of the one can. Thumping, is usually a sign of something hanging in for too long a period, so that angle may be worthy of investigation; the service invoice should detail the ATF used.
    If it was there before and the TC was changed as a possible solution, then it's back to the drawing board for thr dealer.

    Alan S
    the thumping was there prior to the replacement of the torque converter. your reference to the gearbox oil makes a lot of sense as the problem only occurs when the gearbox is nice and hot. i'll follow up on this. come to think of it, the dealer replaced the oil at one of the first services and the torque converter was also replaced by them. maybe they are using a "one size fits all" oil as they are also dealers for other makes.

  6. #6
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    Could be a case for "BX/Xantia/XM transmissions revisited" as per another thread here:

    Oil for slugomatic gearboxs

    I would suggest you firstly check what was used (from your service records)and then check what should be used before making the approach as from what I hear, there's a few dealers getting very nervous about this issue since I lifted the lid on it so might tend to tell you waht they want you to hear as opposed to the facts of what has happened.

    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts Uga Boga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    Talking about gearboxs, something interesting happened to me last night with the C4, in full automatic, the car hit 90km/h in the 2nd gear!!!
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

    Expert 2.0L (2009)

    Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

  8. #8
    Member tom currie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bundanoon NSW Australia
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Could be a case for "BX/Xantia/XM transmissions revisited" as per another thread here:

    Oil for slugomatic gearboxs

    I would suggest you firstly check what was used (from your service records)and then check what should be used before making the approach as from what I hear, there's a few dealers getting very nervous about this issue since I lifted the lid on it so might tend to tell you waht they want you to hear as opposed to the facts of what has happened.

    Alan S
    As an aside, I spoke to the Service Manager of a Peugeot dealer and he told me that the use of the correct gearbox oil is critical. They use oil supplied by Peugeot in sealed containers. In general discussion, he told me that the oil change has to be done using the Peugeot or Citroen diagnostic computer. Interestingly, the Peugeot computer cannot be used on Citroen and vise versa. I am still trying to establish what oil was used in my car.

  9. #9
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    Could it be worth taking it to another Citroen dealer and asking for

    (a) A second opinion/diagnosis of the problem

    (b) A change of ATF fluid and ask for the drained fluid to be returned to you?

    In the advent of incorrect fluid then being used, you should be able to get some idea based on it's colour and condition. (ie) In the boxes referred to previously, the fluid goes a very dark red almost black colour in a very short space of time.


    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  10. #10
    Member tom currie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bundanoon NSW Australia
    Posts
    30

    Default c5 gearbox problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Could it be worth taking it to another Citroen dealer and asking for

    (a) A second opinion/diagnosis of the problem

    (b) A change of ATF fluid and ask for the drained fluid to be returned to you?

    In the advent of incorrect fluid then being used, you should be able to get some idea based on it's colour and condition. (ie) In the boxes referred to previously, the fluid goes a very dark red almost black colour in a very short space of time.


    Alan S
    Thanks Alan. I have been in touch with another Citroen dealer now. He was able to access the service details of my car on his computer (even though the servicing has been done by another dealer) and is going to try to find out what's happened at various services, including the replacement of the torque converter. So much for Privacy regulations, although that doesn't concern me in this case.

    Tom

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •