New Citroen Owner
  • Help

Default New Citroen Owner

Hi . I'm the proud new owner of a C4 and I absolutely love and adore her look and feel. However a couple of issues have arisen and I was wondering if anyone could help me ? I'm yet to take her in for her first service but have noticed that there is a slight tapping noise when idling. I'm no mechanic and this may well be normal or it may require some adjustment when serviced. Can anyone help? Further, the driver's door trim (I think, they're hard to pinpoint) has a rattle that is driving me nuts! Again is this a problem that is common and is it easily fixed ? Don't get me wrong the C4 is my pride and joy but these little issues are annoying. The dealer says no problem and will be looked at when I bring her in but I'm too damn impatient. Thanks.

Advertisement

From past experience I've found small rattles are best initially left to the dealer to sort out.
    With engine or transmission related stuff, they do all kinds of strange and inexplicable things with software upgrades which seem to be an ongoing thing and speaking hypothetically, it's not impossible that the engine noise may be able to be dialled out if it's spark or mixture related, only time will tell. Might sound a bit over the top even thinking about them being able to do that but hey, they've been taking clunks out of C5 auto transmissions for years so go figure.

Nice looking car the C4; was that yours, the white one at UQ French car day last Sunday?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll leave it all up to the dealer. I'm sure they'll take care of it all.

I didn't know the UQ day was on. I sure would have gone if I'd known. We're on the Darling Downs near Toowoomba.

Fair enough; you shouldn't have too many problems with your dealer up there. Classic cars have been into Cits for a long time and have a pretty good reputation.
    You'll find a couple of aussiefrogs members up your way too; one drives a silver Xantia and the other an XM. The XM guy's name is also Paul.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulinqld
    Hi . I'm the proud new owner of a C4 and I absolutely love and adore her look and feel. However a couple of issues have arisen and I was wondering if anyone could help me ? I'm yet to take her in for her first service but have noticed that there is a slight tapping noise when idling. I'm no mechanic and this may well be normal or it may require some adjustment when serviced. Can anyone help? Further, the driver's door trim (I think, they're hard to pinpoint) has a rattle that is driving me nuts! Again is this a problem that is common and is it easily fixed ? Don't get me wrong the C4 is my pride and joy but these little issues are annoying. The dealer says no problem and will be looked at when I bring her in but I'm too damn impatient. Thanks.
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the exact same issue with my C4... it's from the panel which covers the seat belt adjuster on the side door. If you hold it in place whilst driving, you'll notice the rattle will go away.

These rattles can be so annoying, now the drivers seat has developed some rattles/squeaks, especially the side part which contains the power seat adjustments.

I'll let them be until the 20k service tho, but i know what you mean, these rattles are so annoying.

I'm also getting some rattles from the rear of the vehicle.

With the door, i think its the norm, since mine is the same, requires a good strong shove, otherwise it won't be closed properly.
    Last edited by Uga Boga; 16th July 2005 at 08:26 PM.
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Tadpole

'I'm also getting some rattles from the rear of the vehicle.'

Have a look at the spare. I noticed in my C4, the tool holder that sits within the spare wheel is not tied down. Rather a strap is used to secure it. I tightened the strap and used some bubble plastic - no noise.

regards

Bumps

Thread Information