Hydraulic raiser made me laugh!
  • Register
  • Help

Hydraulic raiser made me laugh!

CITROEN B4 16TRS
    Sports Car, 1986, automatic, power steering, power windows, air conditioning, hydraulic raiser, $1950, OWF-785. DL-17199. CONDELL PARK 0297096822 Maz's Autos

Advertisement

UFO
    Wow! A BX-16TRS Auto is a sports car. That makes my D Special a Drag Racer and the XM an Inter Galactic Rocket.

I think the dealer needs "The Castle" theory applied!

Maybe he's related to the person trying to sell that CX turbo for 29k?

Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

rek
    Talking about hydraulics and stuff, let me throw in a useless little question for the Cit hydraulic people.

Every now and again in the city, I park next to/near a Citroen BX wagon, whose rear-end is REALLY low, like almost scraping the ground .. I've never seen it drive off, so I have no idea what happens when it starts.

I'm guessing this is a hydraulic suspension thing, but is it really supposed to go that low when parking?! I thought they only did that when you were attaching a trailer or something.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Rek,

All cits will drop over a period of time, older cars that require a bit of work on seals etc. will drop more rapidly. Sometimes the front will drop first, sometimes the rear. The BX you park next to has probably arrived an hour before you As soon as the engine is started the pressure will be restored and the car will rise to ride height, presuming all is well The height of the car can be contolled to assist in attaching a trailer via a lever inside the car.

Sounds like you need someone to take you for a spin in a Cit, The whole experience of getting in the car and starting the engine, fussing around to find your sunnies and wiping that smudge on the windscreen, all while the car is coming up to ride height is a calming one. The engine is nicely lubricated well before you ask it to do any work This in itself must contribute to the better than average life you can expect from a Cit engine.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

If I was wearing my "technical Ted" hat I would tell you it's the brake doseur valve that is the major cause; apparently it's nothing serious but as Chris says, it's internal seals. Overseas, the real perfectionists replace this so they can say that it was parked overnight & didn't drop any.
    Another trick used in the UK is to drop the adjustment on the suspension when you leave the car parked out overnight so that no one will pinch the spare tyre :p
    Be a great sight to see, a potential thief trying to figure out how to get a bottle jack under a BX with its suspension collapsed

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!
    another advantage with hydraulic suspension is that the car is great for towing. Not only can you drop the suspension to make the trailer easier to hitch, the rear does not sag like most cars as the self leveling takes care of that, means the car drives much the same with a trailer or not.

With the trailer attatched, you can put a prop under the drawbar, and then lower the car to disconnect the trailer, no more sore backs !

(sorry to state the obvious for citroenphiles who knew all this already)

Fellow Frogger!
    another advantage with hydraulic suspension is that the car is great for towing. Not only can you drop the suspension to make the trailer easier to hitch, the rear does not sag like most cars as the self leveling takes care of that, means the car drives much the same with a trailer or not.

With the trailer attatched, you can put a prop under the drawbar, and then lower the car to disconnect the trailer, no more sore backs !

(sorry to state the obvious for citroenphiles who knew all this already)

Now Craig..you shouldn't slag off the man in the street.

Citroens are indeed magical machines....I can understand how the unconverted could behold the car in question and undergo a revelation that could under certain circumstances to the kind of description in the ad. Something about swine and pearls...

This dealer is doing a lot for the reale value of BX16 autos all over Australia..he deserves a medal or alternatively a chest to pin it on

And just for the record when is the last time you draggged off a BX16 auto at the lights ...eh???

[quote]Originally posted by ckeller:
    <strong>Wow! A BX-16TRS Auto is a sports car. That makes my D Special a Drag Racer and the XM an Inter Galactic Rocket.

I think the dealer needs "The Castle" theory applied!

Maybe he's related to the person trying to sell that CX turbo for 29k?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

When younger (& stupider) I would go to the drive through at Mc Donalds with my GS on the high setting. When I pulled up at the window where you pay your money I'd hold the foot brake in & lower the lever back to ride height setting.
    By the time the operator had my change ready - just as he/ she was about to hand me the money, I'd release the brake & the back end would just drop (a good 6-7 inches).
    The look on their faces was priceless
    They'd lower their hand to compensate after a few seconds & I'd drive to the next window on the bumps stops
    Yeah, the old "Brake Trick" we'd call it

Gibgib,

You may be to young to remember the good old days when an attendant would fill your car up at a servo, as soon as the gas went into the tank the rear end on the D would start sinking again the look on the guys face.. priceless another good trick was to raise the ride height just before your passenger was about to leave the car, watching them trying to find the ground as they step out... priceless.

I know I'll have to get a life :p

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

[quote]Originally posted by gibgib:
    <strong>When younger (& stupider) I would go to the drive through at Mc Donalds with my GS on the high setting. When I pulled up at the window where you pay your money I'd hold the foot brake in & lower the lever back to ride height setting.
    By the time the operator had my change ready - just as he/ she was about to hand me the money, I'd release the brake & the back end would just drop (a good 6-7 inches).
    The look on their faces was priceless
    They'd lower their hand to compensate after a few seconds & I'd drive to the next window on the bumps stops
    Yeah, the old "Brake Trick" we'd call it </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, yeah we know;
    .....and if the bird at the window was a 40"D" cup - you ended up with a Big Mac in your hand and a Big in your ear??

:p

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

[quote]Yeah, yeah we know;
    .....and if the bird at the window was a 40"D" cup - you ended up with a Big Mac in your hand and a Big in your ear??<hr></blockquote>

Do you want fries with that

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Never forget what a work coleague said to me once...
    I was working as a delivery driver at Noosa Pizza Hut a few years back. By chance there was another Cit also delivering, twas a CX.
    Anyway this guy (who owned a holden with a new 202 fitted- his baby) mentioned one day about how there were 2 Cits in the crew & how the CX (he called the bigger version on mine, GS) was sagging in the back & looked as though the springs were a bit tired...HA what a toss eh?
    I explained it all a bit to him, but hey, once they have owned a platform with shelter fitted with a big engine, it just don't sink in

Thread Information