New vynal top
  • Help

Thread: New vynal top

Fellow Frogger!

Default New vynal top

When I bought my CX the vynal roof was stuffed, so I ripped it off easing it out from under the rubber around the windscreen & sun roof, sanding the old glue off as best as I could. went to the hardware shop & bought some copper hammer tone paint in a spray can, times two, gave it a couple of coats & it do'nt look too bad. Cheap as dirt n looks good.

I tried to get a paint from the local pannel beater & he didnt know of a product to fit the bill.

I wanted something flat & lumpy for the real effect, short of crincle paint (collect to mutch dirt) Hammer finish seems the way to go for a cheap fix.

When I get some more money I will buy a can of the paint on stuff & this will fill in the sanding marks that the spray did'nt cover.

Advertisement

will let you know how it comes out.

Cooch

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cooch Goodwin
    When I bought my CX the vynal roof was stuffed, so I ripped it off easing it out from under the rubber around the windscreen & sun roof, sanding the old glue off as best as I could. went to the hardware shop & bought some copper hammer tone paint in a spray can, times two, gave it a couple of coats & it do'nt look too bad. Cheap as dirt n looks good.

I tried to get a paint from the local pannel beater & he didnt know of a product to fit the bill.

I wanted something flat & lumpy for the real effect, short of crincle paint (collect to mutch dirt) Hammer finish seems the way to go for a cheap fix.

When I get some more money I will buy a can of the paint on stuff & this will fill in the sanding marks that the spray did'nt cover.

will let you know how it comes out.

Cooch
    There's a product called "Oneshot", it's a primer/filler. A good few heavy coats of this through a putty gun (or even normal spray gun) is magic. Once it's dry mist a light coat of your pressure pack paint over it (so it's covered effectively in overspray).

Now set your son to work with some wet and dry, he needs to sand all the pressure pack paint off with some wet&dry sandpaper. Once it's all gone (big circles remember when sanding) the roof will be perfect with no scratches/nicks/marks.

Now try your top coat again... You'll be impressed ...

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information