My Mechanic
  • Help

Thread: My Mechanic

Fellow Frogger!

Default My Mechanic

I told my mechanic (Toyota Dealership) about my CX Pallas that I'm going to register, he was so keen to see it that on the weekend he came over to where it's garaged.

He bought a workmate with him, they sat in the back "f*#k its comfy"
    they sat in the front "oooh so comfy"
    they started "whats with all the idiot lights
    they made it go up, they made it go down "woo hoo",

But the clincher was the centering steering, as it was getting dark, he is comming back next week to check out under the car to see how everything works.

Advertisement

I am going to give him a torch and a couple of hours, we'll see what he comes up with.

his parting words were f*#ing everything is sooo different to any thing I've seen and thanks for the beers.

Hoo roo
    Cooch

Coch is there something wrong with the car or were you just showing it off to him?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Coch is there something wrong with the car or were you just showing it off to him?
    My guess is he is soooo depressed looking at crappy toyotas all day that he wanted to see some real engineering. Even if it's 25+ years old, it'd still look new to a Toyota mechanic
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    My guess is he is soooo depressed looking at crappy toyotas all day that he wanted to see some real engineering. Even if it's 25+ years old, it'd still look new to a Toyota mechanic
    I guess if you took a fridge freezer to him, they'd look the same!
    My dad has a carina E, and his wife has a corolla. I still can't believe how basic and bland they are....right down to the keep fit windows! In a real car, even the lower trim level you get electric ones john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Fellow Frogger!

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Nothing wrong with the Pallas, it's ready for a blue, pink & green slip (more than my wife's got), I just asked him to go over it and tell me what needs doing before I take it in to his garage for a rego check officially.

He is keen to test drive but is a bit dubious when I told him about the brake pedal setup. At least he is on my side and is keen to help with rego difficulties.

You would'nt want to know my wife backed our ute into his brand new car down the street a couple of months ago.

Ah the country town were everybody knows everyone etc etc.

Cooch

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Cooch,

mate sounds like you'll be fine. You tester sounds like a real car nut. He may even get out of the CX saying "this heap of sh!ts not for me", but still be interested and listen anyway .... Kinda like if someone to show us fellow carnuts an old Rover or MG (etc....). We'd be sure to have a look, possibly even drive it. But never have any ambition to actually own one.

Brakes: Brilliant once you get used to them

Indicators: Ensure he know they do NOT self cancel (never did, never will).

Handbrake: These are b@stards, they will work when adjusted to somewhere between 10-20clicks. If he wants two clicks, tell him to sort it out (he'll soon change his mind). It was never designed to work with just two clicks. Expect to have to re-adjust the handbrake at each oil change (they do not stay in adjustment long).

Steering: It should center strongly, especially at speed, it should NOT veer constantly in any direction or torque steer. If he's even a half decent mechanic you will probably find you will need a top ball joint and lower arm bushes (they'll probably be 25+years old and have never been replaced). Most mechanics/RW testers never seem to find them for some reason.

Just wait until he gets her up on a hoist and see's the rear brake lines I've had a couple of RW testers point them out to me and say "Bugger me, I've never seen THAT before".

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Cooch,

mate sounds like you'll be fine. You tester sounds like a real car nut. He may even get out of the CX saying "this heap of sh!ts not for me", but still be interested and listen anyway .... Kinda like if someone to show us fellow carnuts an old Rover or MG (etc....). We'd be sure to have a look, possibly even drive it. But never have any ambition to actually own one.

Brakes: Brilliant once you get used to them

Indicators: Ensure he know they do NOT self cancel (never did, never will).

Handbrake: These are b@stards, they will work when adjusted to somewhere between 10-20clicks. If he wants two clicks, tell him to sort it out (he'll soon change his mind). It was never designed to work with just two clicks. Expect to have to re-adjust the handbrake at each oil change (they do not stay in adjustment long).

Steering: It should center strongly, especially at speed, it should NOT veer constantly in any direction or torque steer. If he's even a half decent mechanic you will probably find you will need a top ball joint and lower arm bushes (they'll probably be 25+years old and have never been replaced). Most mechanics/RW testers never seem to find them for some reason.

Just wait until he gets her up on a hoist and see's the rear brake lines I've had a couple of RW testers point them out to me and say "Bugger me, I've never seen THAT before".

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Never seen that before is said when he looks at any thing on the car, even the rear wheel arch covers.
    I have not noticed any movement in the drive train or steering so here is hoping every thing is sweet.

I have previously mentioned that the clutch is at the end of its tether, going on the pedal effort needed and no adjustment left, but I hope it will be alright for a while. A big job to replace going by your recent utterings on this page. NOT looking foward to it at all BTW about how many $ for a clutch kit?

Only 5 months to go before son is old enough for Ps and REGO,

Cooch

Your mechanic sounds typical of the ones you find in regional and rural areas; tradesmen not bits fitters.
    I know a couple where we are who look at a Citroen, comment on how different it seems in some ways but do anything that's needed without the fanfare of trumpets too many in the big smokes expect and don't jack the bill up just because it's a Citroen.

A clue on extending the life of the clutch. (From years of experience, that's how long it can last) is to get a nut with a hole inside it that is large enough for the thread of the adjustment to pass through. Remove the adjustment nut and its locking not, fit the spacer(s) and refit the adjustment nut and locknut.
    I did it to mine and drove it like that for about 5 years. It was still operating OK, albeit by using heaps of leg pressure on changes, but hey, bet there's not too much bumper to bumper traffic down your way anyway, so who cares?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Your mechanic sounds typical of the ones you find in regional and rural areas; tradesmen not bits fitters.
    I know a couple where we are who look at a Citroen, comment on how different it seems in some ways but do anything that's needed without the fanfare of trumpets too many in the big smokes expect and don't jack the bill up just because it's a Citroen.

A clue on extending the life of the clutch. (From years of experience, that's how long it can last) is to get a nut with a hole inside it that is large enough for the thread of the adjustment to pass through. Remove the adjustment nut and its locking not, fit the spacer(s) and refit the adjustment nut and locknut.
    I did it to mine and drove it like that for about 5 years. It was still operating OK, albeit by using heaps of leg pressure on changes, but hey, bet there's not too much bumper to bumper traffic down your way anyway, so who cares?

Alan S
    Well Allan that will be the next fix because I have taken AMOST the last adjustment out to drive it to my dads, (he has a pit the lucky little sucker ) for the mechanical repairs needed for RW certificate ,(blue slip) it is working fine now but..... Anyway we think the same on the adjustment issue.
    Last edited by Cooch Goodwin; 13th July 2005 at 02:20 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooch Goodwin
    I told my mechanic (Toyota Dealership) about my CX Pallas that I'm going to register, he was so keen to see it that on the weekend he came over to where it's garaged.

He bought a workmate with him, they sat in the back "f*#k its comfy"
    they sat in the front "oooh so comfy"
    they started "whats with all the idiot lights
    they made it go up, they made it go down "woo hoo",

But the clincher was the centering steering, as it was getting dark, he is comming back next week to check out under the car to see how everything works.

I am going to give him a torch and a couple of hours, we'll see what he comes up with.

his parting words were f*#ing everything is sooo different to any thing I've seen and thanks for the beers.

Hoo roo
    Cooch
    My Mechanic did infact turn up. I was not ther but my father showed him arround. The Mec spotted the body mounting bolts had the rubbers under the shasis missing. They are only the ones on each side of the front of the back seat, all the others are fine. What happened was for some reason the large dished washers that hold the rubber on the underside of the shasis? had rusted through (and a bit of the body) leting the rubbers fall off.

SO this weekend I'm going to make some new rubber washers out of the rubber they use between the deck and the supports of a concrete road bridge.I've got some large steel washers for them, so hole sores (saws) here I come. Rust in the body aint to serious. The rubbers will cover it

Hoo roo
    Cooch

Don't forget the naval jelly Cooch.

ed ge

Quote Originally Posted by Cooch Goodwin
    Never seen that before is said when he looks at any thing on the car, even the rear wheel arch covers.
    Cooch
    The spats, he should have seen them before as some of the HD - HR Holdens had them.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    The spats, he should have seen them before as some of the HD - HR Holdens had them.
    Oh thats what they are called. at least there is 8 of the little suckers so I don't think a couple of rusted out ones will be too detrimental to the crash integrity of the car

Cooch

I tried to cut the rubber with the hole sore but the mates drill was not powerfull enough to do the job. Thick rubber is so hard to cut as it crabes, pinches, the tool as it passes through it. This will ultimately dull the whole sore .

Maybe less teeth on the saw? will give better results.

Cooch

My son and I used my drill with 700w of sheer power and a lot of WD spray to lubricate and Bobs your uncle, well at least he's mine. Job done

Cooch
    Last edited by Cooch Goodwin; 24th July 2005 at 08:43 PM.

Thread Information