cx centre console/heater fan
  • Help

Default cx centre console/heater fan

Hi,
    am in the process of finding out why the heater fan only operates slowly, and have determined that it is on the -ve side of the circuit, which includes the fan speed switches, does anyone know how to get the centre console(back section) off/apart?
    Thanks Terry

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedog
    Hi,
    am in the process of finding out why the heater fan only operates slowly, and have determined that it is on the -ve side of the circuit, which includes the fan speed switches, does anyone know how to get the centre console(back section) off/apart?
    Thanks Terry
    If you slide the front seats foward you will find two screws at the back of the center console.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Yeah I got those, but it still won't budge, I also found a screw up the front on the drivers side, it seems like it is jammed where the floor section meets the dash section.
    I don't want to force it too much as I don't want to break it.

By the way, how much air should a cx heater fan put out on high speed?
    I'm currently only getting 4V at the motor when the motor is running, but if I connect a -ve from the battery to the armature (bypassing the switches and resistors), the fan really rip snorts along, with excellent volume of air.

Thanks Terry

Fellow Frogger!

Default fan switch

This may be sacriligious but my 205 Pug had a transistor that controlled the fan speed and when it failed the fan would not operate at high speed.The transistor was situated in the bottom of the fan box and accessible from underneath.I know it is,nt a Cit but who knows?
    Regards Dennis Alderton

Ther should be a couple of bolts up towards the front of the centre section coming in from the side pretty low down if I recall correctly. You should have a good blast of air on high. The fan control is just a series of resistance wires at each step point. I have seen the wire lead connecting to the contact point on the lever come adrift and also oxidisation of the contacts giving a high resistance, both easily fixed.
    IanW

These resistors (if you can call the bits of coiled resistance wires that) sit in the airflow duct right up near the firewall on the passengers side on the early CXs. Not sure whether yours will be the same tho. So once you get the console cover off you should find three wires going from terminals here to the speed control switch. Once located, you should be able to troubleshoot the fan speed issue from here on. CX fans never gave a great volume of air anyway although the later model with the golfball ashtray did seem to have a better fan arrangement than did the earlier models.

If you want to see what the best airflow should be find the return lead from the fan motor and short it to chassis under the bonnet. That way you will get full voltage across the motor and should get the most airflow you will ever get.

Good Luck

Ken W

Thanks for the info, I suspected the switches, or the earth, as bypassing these and the resistors( coils of wire) gives very good airflow. I have the top of the fan casing off,(the resistors are inside this). Mine is a 1980 with the golf ball ashtray.

The wiring in this car is a bit dodgey ( understatement), I knock a wire and a loose connector comes apart, every connector I disconnect and look at is basically green!! Some wires are hanging onto their terminals by a thread.
    I've cleaned up and tightened what I can, and recrimped new terminals on some things, and cleaned up the earths. I've yet to look at the relays though.
    I guess its to be expected, the car is 25 years old. ( and been stored for who knows how many years).
    Thanks for the help guys
    Terry

I had 3 CX's and in each one I spent a lot of time replacing every connector I could see (and using electrical contact spray). On the last one I even used split tubing for added protection. Time well spent as I had very few few elecrical faults.....

Also a good way to become familiar with you car.

regards
    sean

Finally got the centre console off. Yes there were 2 bolts on the upright section buried in the carpet, but also 2 small phillips screws on the drivers side of the console next to the seat cushion, which were "fun" to get out.
    The fan problem was a broken wire which attaches to the fan speed quadrant. Replaced wire and fan works great.
    Terry

Thread Information