C3 Pluriel
  • Help

Thread: C3 Pluriel

Default C3 Pluriel

Hi guys,

I may have another frenchie in the family soon, as my mum (who currently owns a 1996 BMW Z3) is thinking about replacing it with the new C3 Pluriel.

I was wondering if anyone had driven one. My mum really hates driving Auto's, and feels much more comfortable in a manual, infact she has never owned an Auto and when she does drive them occasionally, she freaks out and hates it.

Now, I am not sure if the C3 Pluriel comes in manual, or is it just the semi-auto trip tronic/sequential box..?

pro's or con's with this car, if any1 knows woud gretaly be appreciated.

She likes the look of the Pluriel and she wants another convertable, and was thinking about a 206cc, but for some reason wasn't sold on it's looks or something.

she has always owned BMW's in the past and I think once had a 205si back when they were brand new, but at that time didn't like the FWD, I think things have changed now though. She like to take corners hard too, but I know a cit can hande that

One of the only times she drove an auto, was when she got a courtesy car, which was a holden crapadore, when the BMW was in for a service, now she drove it around a round about the same way her BMW (320) would drive around it, but the commofoul spun out, did 1 and a hlaf 360's and nearly took out a pole. She was ike "Wtf just happened? this car is crap!"

Advertisement

anyway, I degress

any help/tips/advice in regards to the new C3 Pluriel would be grand
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

She needs to drive one. No doubt they should come with a proper gearbox. Handling will be typical Citroen/poogoe without doubt (ie: understeer strongly if she tries to power out of corners .... ie: VERY safe).

If she's used to a BMW she really needs to try and get a demonstrator for a day and see how she likes it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

thanks

I just downloaded the product specs pdf of the pluriel from the Cit' aus' website.

For transmission it says: "SensoDrive Transmission" and thats it. just the one transmission option.

does anyone know what this is?

or if there is a regular manual?
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by n b j
    pro's or con's with this car, if any1 knows woud gretaly be appreciated.
    Owners rarely take the side bars off .. why? Cause they are a pain (read hard) to take off (esp for people with no-one to help or not alot of strength), and you can't store them in the car (means they get left in the garage). There has been many problems with leaks in the roof, Cit believe they have solved this with the latest ones. It's a lot of money (IMHO) for a C3 .. and senodrive .. mmmmmm - is better in the C2 then the C3 - never driven a Pluriel so I can't comment.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Yeah, she probably likes the look of the C3 but from your description once she drives it she will hate the gearbox.

Try and get her into a C4 VTS

Dave

My mum really hates driving Auto's, and feels much more comfortable in a manual, infact she has never owned an Auto and when she does drive them occasionally, she freaks out and hates it.
    Stick her in an auto, glue her left foot down somewhere well away from the pedals, and send her off on a return trip to Bathurst or down the coast. When she gets back you can talk about what sort of car she actually wants to own...

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

thanks for the advice.

She wants to testdrive one anyway tomorrow.

Will let you know what she thinks of it.
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

thanks

I just downloaded the product specs pdf of the pluriel from the Cit' aus' website.

For transmission it says: "SensoDrive Transmission" and thats it. just the one transmission option.

does anyone know what this is?

or if there is a regular manual?

sounds like you have a lot of learning to do...

nothing annoys me more than false statements...

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    Owners rarely take the side bars off ..
    FALSE! I have mine off most weekends. Even in winter (Qld winters are not too cold)

why? Cause they are a pain (read hard) to take off (esp for people with no-one to help or not alot of strength), and you can't store them in the car (means they get left in the garage).
    FALSE! I am a small person and not very fit nor strong, yet I can take them of without any problems. They come off easily. it is true that you cannot store them in the car. If you buy a Pluriel, I recommend the "Spider Pack" option which gives you a rack to store the rails in the garage as well as an emergency cover should you get caught by changing weather.

There has been many problems with leaks in the roof, Cit believe they have solved this with the latest ones.
    FALSE! I own the oldest Pluriel in Australia (the original "press" car) and the only leak I've had is from the air conditioning. The roof has never leaked.

It's a lot of money (IMHO) for a C3 .. and senodrive .. mmmmmm - is better in the C2 then the C3 - never driven a Pluriel so I can't comment.
    Price is relative. If you want a car that stands out in the crowd, then you can expect a bigger price tag. Last weekend I dropped in to the French car day in Brissy. Despite dozzens of Citroens, I was surprised to find I had the ONLY Pluriel there. In fact, Jay from Brisbane Citroen asked me to park it with his display cars! I still think they are excellent value for money, being the second-cheapest convertable on the Australian market. (I think... or have I just made a false claim myself?)

The Sensodrive is "different" and takes some getting used to. It can be driven like a sequential manual but mostly I leave it to make its own decisions. Think of it like a clutchless manual. You operate the throttle and gearstick like a manual and the software takes care of the clutch.

If you want the "real story" then talk to somebody who owns a Pluriel.
    Last edited by JamesII; 11th July 2005 at 08:51 AM.

We have only had our Pluriel for a couple of weeks but it has certainly had a number of heavy downpours on it and is dry as a bone inside.
    We absolutely love it. A beautiful, solid little car to drive.

Oby

Great to hear positive reports about it. I saw one in the QVB carpark the other night.
    It looked great in the dark blue colour.

Yes Daniel. The blue looks smart. The leather pack really finishes the look off inside.

Fellow Frogger!

If she doesn't like the 206 cc and wants a small MANUAL convertible then tell her to wait for the new Holden Tigra.

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...ssmode=success

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by JamesII
    nothing annoys me more than false statements...
    Ditto ....
    FALSE! I have mine off most weekends. Even in winter (Qld winters are not too cold)
    YOU do .. the C3 Pluriel owners I've spoken to SAY it's a pain.
    FALSE! I am a small person and not very fit nor strong, yet I can take them of without any problems. They come off easily. it is true that you cannot store them in the car.
    YOU do .. the C3 Pluriel owners I've spoken to SAY it's a pain. I too have taken them off (was only at the dealer) and the dealer had trouble with them too ... your ownership experience maybe different.
    FALSE! I own the oldest Pluriel in Australia (the original "press" car) and the only leak I've had is from the air conditioning. The roof has never leaked.
    Really FALSE .. check the UK boards, there is lots of leaking C3 Pluriels, there was even a recall on a seal .. which has NOW been fixed.
    Price is relative. If you want a car that stands out in the crowd, then you can expect a bigger price tag.
    A true statement at last ... YES it's ALL relative AS is the issue of weather (get it) it's a pain to remove the side bars
    If you want the "real story" then talk to somebody who owns a Pluriel.
    James. glad you enjoy YOUR car, but there are many problems with ALL the french cars, and just the same way I'd be willing to point out issues in my car if asked, no rose colour glasses here ... Please read my previous post as it was ALL MY OPINION (based on talking to owners and READING facts about leaks).

YOUR milage may vary. Please feel free to present your side as an owner.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

YOU do .. the C3 Pluriel owners I've spoken to SAY it's a pain.

Actually, apart from Oby (who I only know from in here) I've yet to speak to a Pluriel owner. (I am not in the habit of conversing with myself. ) In fact, I've yet to see another Pluriel on the streets. So, I'd love to know where you found all these Pluriel owners you have spoken to.

If it was in here, then one has to remember that these forums are usually a place for airing grievances or a place people go if they have unresolved issues. Hence, one can reasonably expect the reports in forums to be biased towards highlighting the problems. In mathematical terms, it is not a true random sample - it is pre-filtered.

Technically, I can say that 100% of Pluriel owners I've communicated with absolutely love them... and not be telling a lie.

I guess I saw red when you commented that you have never actually driven a Pluriel yet you had a fair bit to say about them. Apologies if I caused you offence in my somewhat stern reply.

The reality is the rails were initially a bit tricky to remove and replace. Ditto for folding the rear window into the boot. However, after doing it a couple of times I have discovered how to do it quickly and easily. I can (without any help) go from fully enclosed sedan to open top "Spider" mode now in about two minutes... and without getting out of breath. It takes a little longer if I have help!! Like I said, I am a boffin not an athlete, so if I can do it easily then any able-bodied person could. I can foresee how this thingy about the conversions being difficult could grow arm and legs, but it is simply not true.

I'd like to see what Oby says about the ease of conversion.

XTC

I guess I saw red when you commented that you have never actually driven a Pluriel yet you had a fair bit to say about them. Apologies if I caused you offence in my somewhat stern reply.
    Sorry of you thought I was attacking your car (no-one likes their "baby" being slagged). As I said the roof leak issues have been fixed mainly .. there is still some issues though (just one source for thought)
    http://www.topgear.com/content/my_to...fers/A7/E8/12/

If it makes it better, the 206 list is longer !
    http://www.topgear.com/content/my_to...fers/D2/C9/40/
    (then again they are approaching 5 million 206's since 1999).

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

This is going to sound ridiculous.,but I haven't tried the full conversion yet- or even swinging the roof cassette down. Canberra is in one of it's distinctly cold snaps at present.

XTC

QLD has to be one of the better states for convertables ... WA has plenty of nice sunshine BUT it's just too hot most of summer. Summer nights are nice though ... The 3 degree mornings have been interesting of late.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

The autumn and spring should be perfect for the open roof. Summer can be to hot even down here sometimes. We are lucky as far as scenery here. We have the Snowy mountains and the south coast on our doorstep which make for beautiful open top possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Oby.
    The autumn and spring should be perfect for the open roof. Summer can be to hot even down here sometimes. We are lucky as far as scenery here. We have the Snowy mountains and the south coast on our doorstep which make for beautiful open top possibilities.
    and parliament house?

This is going to sound ridiculous.,but I haven't tried the full conversion yet- or even swinging the roof cassette down. Canberra is in one of it's distinctly cold snaps at present.
    ROFLMAO!!
    You gotta be kidding. Not even in the garage?! I had the roof off mine within hours of taking ownership of it. Must be a Qld thing - the love of the feel of the sun in winter. Do you have sunshine in Canberra or does your heat supply come from the obvious alternative?

A tip... read the instructions carefully and follow them exactly. Take note of where they tell you to put your hands when removing the rails. Do it their way and its easy.

Another tip... If you have used the luggage hooks in the boot, make sure they are folded back flat BEFORE folding away the roof cassette. This one is not in the instructions. I discovered it the hard way. Fortunately, zero damage.

ROFLMAO!!
    You gotta be kidding. Not even in the garage?! I had the roof off mine within hours of taking ownership of it. Must be a Qld thing - the love of the feel of the sun in winter. Do you have sunshine in Canberra or does your heat supply come from the obvious alternative?

A tip... read the instructions carefully and follow them exactly. Take note of where they tell you to put your hands when removing the rails. Do it their way and its easy.

Another tip... If you have used the luggage hooks in the boot, make sure they are folded back flat BEFORE folding away the roof cassette. This one is not in the instructions. I discovered it the hard way. Fortunately, zero damage.
    Yeah, I know it's bizzare.I promise I'll give it a go soon. Canberra sunshine this time of the year, with the windchill factor, doesn't lend itself to open top cruising.
    thanks for the tips James.

Yeah, I know it's bizzare.I promise I'll give it a go soon. Canberra sunshine this time of the year, with the windchill factor, doesn't lend itself to open top cruising.
    thanks for the tips James.
    True to my word. Went for a opentop cruise with a windchill factor of about 2 degrees Celcius. No problems with the arch removal or replacement. Lots of fun.

... windchill factor of about 2 degrees Celcius... Lots of fun.
    Should that be:
    "L-l-l-ots o-o-of f-f-f-un"

Two degrees! Damn you are keen! It was down to 10 degrees up here over the weekend and that was enough to make me keep the top on.

Thread Information