Citroen DS - Design Icon
  • Help

Default Citroen DS - Design Icon

Was browsing through the website of a motoring bookshop when I came across this book. Looks tempting to me - and I don't even own a cit!

Advertisement
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Tadpole

I like to support local businesses, but...

$40.92 US (+post) from Amazon. That's $53 aussie. 3 in stock.

Editorial Reviews

Book Description
    When The Citroen DS was unveiled at the 1955 Paris Motor show, it took the motoring world by storm. Its futuristic shape was likened to a space ship, and even twenty years later, when it went out of production, it was still visibly and technically one of the most advanced cars of its day.
    In this authoritative illustrated book Malcolm Bobbitt recalls the long career of this extraordinary car and suggests why it became an icon of automobile design. He uses tow hundred and forty carefully selected historical photographs to show its long development, starting with the first design studies which were made before the Second World War, and the first prototype of 1952.

The revolutionary new car used hydraulics to operate the suspension system and to provide effortless semi-automatic transmission, powered steering and braking. The innovative approach was also expressed in the elegant, curving body and in the interior, which offered a degree of style and comfort that is still envied today and has seldom been surpassed.

The book chronicles the production history of the DS and its less sophisticated sister-car, the ID, and it seeks to explain the many facets of this complex, idiosyncratic vehicle. The author also describes how this reliable family saloon proved to be a formidable rally contender and, for a generation, provided formal transport for the French president and government.

Malcolm Bobbitts sympathetic and expert account of this quintessentially French car will appeal strongly to DS and Citroen enthusiasts, and to all those curious about the career of one of the most distinguished vehicles in automobile history--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
    Frogless!

XTC

A review

http://www.citroen.mb.ca/citroenet/html/b/biblio5.html

As every Citroën enthusiast must be aware, 2005 represents the fiftieth anniversary of the launch of the DS. I had fully expected a plethora of new books on the subject but surprisingly there appears to be only this one new English language work available.
    I must admit I approached this book with mixed feelings. Malcolm is a friend of mine and if truth be told, his last book on the DS disappointed me. At the time, I asked the question “Does the world need another book about the DS?” and inevitably I repeated this question to myself this time round. The story of the DS has been exhaustively covered already and there can’t possibly be anything new to write about.
    But then it occurred to me that this book does have a market since John Reynolds’ masterpiece is long out of print and most of the rest of the DS books available are in French.
    The book is beautifully presented with 225 colour and 50 monochrome pictures; many of which have not been seen before. The book covers the development of prototypes and production cars with all the variants being covered and, unlike John Reynolds’ book, an entire chapter is dedicated to the car’s not inconsiderable sporting achievements. The SM (sadly without any pictures of the DSport or the development mules) is also given a chapter, as are the DS’ contemporary rivals. There is a chapter that provides useful hints on buying and running a DS together with a useful list of UK businesses and clubs that can assist.
    I have but two minor gripes: the lack of serial numbers to assist in identification; and the lack of an in-depth technical explanation of the hydraulic system.
    Even if the story is familiar to many, there are plenty out there who will take delight in discovering for the first time the twists and turns that led to the creation of an unique motor car. Those who already know the story will still find fresh revelations in these pages and Malcolm’s easy prose and the mix of fresh and familiar pictures, together with a refreshing lay out make this book a joy to own.

This book comes strongly recommended.

Julian Marsh
    June 2005
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frogless-Skippy
    I like to support local businesses, but...

$40.92 US (+post) from Amazon. That's $53 aussie. 3 in stock.
    I would hazard a guess of over $30 postage. This is the killer for stuff from the US.

I've had a look at that book at the Pitstop in Perth. Beautiful.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    I would hazard a guess of over $30 postage. This is the killer for stuff from the US.

I've had a look at that book at the Pitstop in Perth. Beautiful.

Stuey
    $11.98 US postage to Melbourne, just completed the order. $52.90 US all up, thats $69.37 Aussie, better than $30 saved on the local price!
    Frogless!

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Frogless-Skippy
    $11.98 US postage to Melbourne, just completed the order. $52.90 US all up, thats $69.37 Aussie, better than $30 saved on the local price!
    Sad isn't it .. I've paid $100 less for books from Amazon compared to prices I could get here .. just wrong.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Tadpole

Default Book prices

A family of four here, we buy upwards of 100 books a year. Split between Amazon, eBay and Angus and Rob, with a few independents thrown in. It is always worth sussing Amazon and eBay before shelling out for books. My previous Citroen book (of DS road tests) came from eBay. Nearly $60 new, I paid $8 for remaindered local stock.
    Frogless!

Default Got mine today!

Well I bit the bullet & ordered my copy from Amazon which is a 1st for me. I love to buy locally but couldnt justify the extra dosh. Great packaging but it did take a while to get here. Now I am never going to get any work done today! Great book & from the 1st quick glimpse seems to cover all facets of the range very well. A must for any ID/DS enthusiast. Cant wait to get stuck in........
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by zykyra
    Well I bit the bullet & ordered my copy from Amazon which is a 1st for me. I love to buy locally but couldnt justify the extra dosh. Great packaging but it did take a while to get here. Now I am never going to get any work done today! Great book & from the 1st quick glimpse seems to cover all facets of the range very well. A must for any ID/DS enthusiast. Cant wait to get stuck in........
    I was lucky enough to purchase a copy of the book directly from Malcolm at the Citroen car meeting in Utrecht in May which he signed with well wishes. It is a great book with lots of new photos - highly recommended!

Thread Information