CX Petrol Tank
  • Help

Thread: CX Petrol Tank

Icon8 CX Petrol Tank

Hi All,
    I Finally took the CX for its Maiden voyage last night, and apart from the Overheating problem, ( another story) all went well, drove great, etc, my first drive not only of a CX but a Citroen.
    This afternoon I took it to the petrol station and filled it up, partly to see if the fuel guage worked, (cos I had my doubts), and yes it does work sometimes, (loose wire on the sender I hope).
    Went out in the Peugeot, came back a couple of hours later and parked behind the CX, and noticed a smell of petrol.
    Looked under the CX and horror of horrors, there is petrol slowly dripping down from the top of the tank, from the filler side right round the back, to the other side. It has only just started to hit the driveway after a couple of hours, so its not a big leak, I'm just puzzled where on the tank it could be coming from, as it seems to be leaking on top of the tank and leaking evenly around the tank.
    Tomorrow I will have to siphon it into a Jerry Can and stick it in the Jag.
    Any Ideas what my plan of attack should be?
    Can the tanks be repaired, or should I source another?
    Terry

Advertisement

Sounds like you have a leak from around the fuel gauge sender/fuel pickup and return assembly that goes in through the top of the tank.

Sounds like a tank out job and investigate - reseal job or just only fill it up to 3/4 full like I do on mine.

Ken W

On closer inspection in the dark, there were 2 leaks. The main one was from the breather pipe at the back of the tank, which was perished, and had no clamp, and a minor leak from where the filler pipe attaches to the tank.

I very quickly shortened and put a clamp on the breather pipe, and tightened up the filler clamp, as I had left the suspension up, and as the back slowly sank, the leak got worse!! The car was parked right next to the house, and the gas heater was running about 2 feet away, raised timber floor, petrol fumes !!!
    Its all hosed away now.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Terry

Icon11

Hi Terry,

I am sure you know this, but hydraulic Citroens can drop very quickly. While it is very tempting to work under them with the suspension up it is not a great idea.

Enjoy your CX!

regards
    sean

I realise this, but the car was down by the time I put the clip on the hose, and I only put my arms under as the overflow pipe is right near the back, but thanks for the warning,
    Terry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yep,

very common problem... I've never had a CX that didn't slop over the top. My CX will slop over around corners if I brim the tank (and if I fill on a cold morning then go home and park in the drive on a downhill angle). Most likely you will find yours is either missing the metal insert the cap seals down on, or the plastic section of pipe where you insert the bowser nozzle into is cracked from someone leaning on the filler while they fill the car.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

OK, Ill give it a better look over tomorrow, but Ive stopped the fuel from hitting the ground at least, I had visions of 68 litres of petrol under the house in the morning.
    I'll look at that, before I do the plugs, points, fiddle with the timing, change the oil/filter, and hydraulic oil, that'll just about see the day out ( with stuff ups)!!
    Terry

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedog
    OK, Ill give it a better look over tomorrow, but Ive stopped the fuel from hitting the ground at least, I had visions of 68 litres of petrol under the house in the morning.
    I'll look at that, before I do the plugs, points, fiddle with the timing, change the oil/filter, and hydraulic oil, that'll just about see the day out ( with stuff ups)!!
    Terry
    Add an extra half day on to that and a VW mechanics elbow

Cooch

just as an asside, if you do ever need to drain the tank, there is a drain plug at the front of the tank. It is very easy to drop the tank out altogether if you need to, the sling under it, is only held in by one bolt in the boot lip (not lid). I took the tank out of my scrap 22TRS the weekend before last, and it took just 20 mins, after getting the back end in the air! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

I checked it the next morning, and its not leaking a drop, the hose clamps did the trick.
    Terry

Thread Information