Identify ID Engine
  • Register
  • Help

Identify ID Engine

I have just bought an ID Engine and Gearbox (to go into my Traction) with the following Nos. 19728134 ID19P
    Any ideas as to the age? some IDs have higher Compression Ratios etc and does the P mean anything?

Advertisement
    Mark McKibbin

Fellow Frogger!
    Hmm, another traction about to be destroyed ?? Actually the 4 speed box and extra power make the traction into a very motorable and practical car.
    What carburettor does your ID engine have ? I assume it is a longstroke motor, with internal inlet manifold.

[ 18 March 2002: Message edited by: petermelb ]</p>

Yes it has the internal manifold and a solex carb. although it will have an SU before I've finished. I would really like a DS19 head and really get it breathing.
    Mark McKibbin

Fellow Frogger!
    according to the workshop manual i have here, the ID used the solex 34PBIC carb, and compression ratios of 6.8:1 and 7.5:1, giving 62 hp and 69 hp, so only about 10% difference. The DS used 7.5 and 8.5 to give 75 and 83 hp, but also had different head, manifolds, camshaft, and weber or zenith carbs.
    I would suggest putting the existing motor in as is and getting the gearbox and clutch working in the traction, you'll be surprised how well it goes even with the basic ID engine. You can always upgrade the engine later on.

Hi Mark,
    do you have a fetish about sticking other engines in your Citroens?
    I scanned through my ID documentation, but can't throw any light on why the ID19 engine type has a suffix 'P'. The engine which came with my 1958 Slough-built ID19 is designated ID19P and is # 19600984. I dont have any reason to believe that it wasn't original, so this indicates that yours is post 58. I think that the Australian built cars took the engine # as the body # eg 1962 Continental & General car has body # 19627743. Which places your engine as post 62. Maybe someone can confirm this.
    From the beginning the ID19 engine was quoted as producing 66 bhp @ 4500 rpm on a CR of 7.5:1 In September 63, Modern Motor reported that the ID19 then developed 75 bhp due to an increase in CR to 8.5:1, still with the single choke Solex 34 PBIC. (Apparently a 83 bhp, 8.5:1, Weber 24/32 DDC engine was available to special order).
    I'm sure you are aware that the 8 port DS19 head is not a straight swap. To provide clearance for the inlet manifold the DS19 uses a strange twin point distributor and twin coil ignition. A complete DS19 engine swap is possible, and that is what is in my 58 ID19.
    Trust this helps.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Roger,

I'm not sure about the engine & body no's of the Aussie built cars. Peter has been looking into this... If you have a look under 'General chitchat' and select 'Australian Car Production' you'll be able to view his findings. Do you have any Chassis numbers we can add to it??? Peter appears to have spotted a patern.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information