The Edsell Wave
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: The Edsell Wave

The Edsell Wave

Ok, for those of you who don't know, Citroen drivers traditionally will wave at one another passing in traffic, in my past, driving older Pugs this was also quite common especially 203s and 403s. This practice is becoming extinct as new Citroen owners stray from their buying patterns to sample the Citroen experience.

So, here I am this morning driving in heavy traffic, two lanes bumper to bumper, in my side mirror I can see an XM moving up on me, my heart was racing (another XM is rarely seen, but to encounter one in traffic... just doesn't happen) My window is down and I prepare for the wave of all waves, almost a salute accompanied by a cheery smile. If I am to read the reaction correctly, the response, in a gesture of a hand that did not leave the steering wheel and a look that defies description, would say "hmm you bought an Edsell too, you poor bugger".

Just have to mark this one down to experience, and not allow it to detract from my enthusiasm. solidarity, keep the wave going

Advertisement

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

GreenBlood,

You obviously didn't follow my instructions I gave on the Cit Board a few months ago. It has to be done step at a time.

#1 Spot oncoming car.
    #2 Confirm identity (ie) BX - CX - DS - XM - Xantia - Xsara etc.
    #3 Wind window down
    #4 Start to smile(not too cheesey it puts 'em off)
    #5 Flash lights
    #6 Wave from steering position
    #7 (if no response) hand out of window & wave
    #8 If still no response - turn wave into "the bird"
    #9 If STILL no response, hang out window & Yell "IGNORANT %r!(+" as you drive past.
    #10 Don't stop if he turns around & starts to follow you

It always works; you ALWAYS get a response of some sort

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan,

Love your technique LOL in my encounter this morning I was the inocent victim, my prospect was behind me in the right hand lane moving a little quicker than my lane, you should have seen that Edsell look as he moved past me, everthing was in slow motion, my enthusiasm turning to confusion as I was rejected by a brother. No aussiefrog sticker on his car, could explain why he was such a miserable sh#t.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I don't get too many wavers when I'm in the Berlingo so I have pretty well gaven up.
    The eastern suburbs are full of B vans. I would suffer severe RSI if I took the challenge.

aaahh the wave...my problem is that you see so few of the older citroens on the road anymore..
    the other problem is when I am hooning around in my Alfa spider(74)...I keep wanting to wave and then realise I'm not in my D and quickly withdraw..not wanting to be rejected...maybe I could hang a citroen flag out the window..like the footie fans do when there team has won!!
    Ideas anyone??
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Thread Information