Tyres for BX19GT
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Tyres for BX19GT

Hi,
    I am up for a new set of tyres for my BX19GT. I have used Mich'ies in the standard size 165/70/14 in the past and they are OK. I am having problems getting some new ones (none in Aust?) and was wondering if anyone has experiance with any other size/brand.
    Thanks

Advertisement

Michael,

I've had two BX's and each time I've gone to replace tyres I've had the same problem with supply of Michies.
    From my point of view, Michelin is the correct tyrte if for no other reason that they are a soft compound & therefore "enhance" the ride of the BX. As far as performance goes, I'm anything but impressed with their tyres. I've found Michelin to be noisy on certain types of surfaces, not all that good in the wet & fairly short lived given the price they charge for them. I also feel that Michies tend to lose grip whilst still having a legal amount of tread left.
    I have found Falken tyres to be a good alternative at an affordable price. At least with them the quality is constant as they are all made in Japan whereas Michelin can come from Thailand, Cambodia, Chile or any number of other great overseas holiday destinations
    I found the ones I had on my Trs which were a standard type of tyre more impressive than the directional ones I have on my BX 16V but mainly due to the fact that directionals tend to "tramline" under heavy acceleration which is not a problem if you're aware of it but a big thrill if you're not
    From memory they can be bought on special for around $125 - $140

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hmm,

I just fitted a pair of Michies to the front of my BX19tri. They appear to be quite a good tire, ok in the wet, Highish limits, with progressive breakaway as you approach the limit. I guess we'll see how long they last. The tire place did there best to talk me into Dunlops, they even said "Take them for a week, if you not happy we'll swap 'em over free of charge". Wouldn't have it, had dunlops on an old R12 a few years back. They were worse than sh!t.... I'm sure there much better now. But hey, were only talking $30 more for the michies

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: You may find 175's easier to find. They even had the correct size michelins in size for my car. By the way, I'm not impressed at all with michelins, I reckon you can get a LOT better for less money. Especially on CX's.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole
    Thanks for the information. I have been satisfied with the Mich'ies performance and have had good mileage from the last set (68k). I mainly wanted to know if it is possible to go to a different size (profile) tyre, and therefore get a wider selection, on the same rim (5.08 inch) and still fit inside the rear wheel arch. As you would be aware there is little room to play with in there.
    Thanks

Thread Information