Citroen HP Pump..
  • Register
  • Help

Default Citroen HP Pump..

Hi Froggies...
    I finally swapped over the HP pump in the CX for the one from my spare parts car. The job only took about 40 to 45 minutes to do and was very simple.
    It had been some time since I've been able to do anything to the car, and I actually like the smell of the LHM.
    The replacement pump shows no sign of leakage, and seems to be in great shape. When I started the car, she rose up beautifully.
    The old pump works perfectly, except that it leaks LHM out of the front bearing, even when the car is parked. In fact, it kind of syphons out the LHM reservoir , just what I don't want.
    It sounds like a crack in the pump body, but I don't suspect this yet. I'm expecting it to be a worn seal.
    I earlier promised to dismantle and re-build the thing for the benefit of fellow froggies, and I will do this.
    I will photograph each step of the operation, and post the article wherever the moderators want it to go.
    It's not going to be a total re-build, just a bearing and seal job.
    However, just for now, it's back to the bathroom renovations.
    Cheers...George 1/8th.

Advertisement

Do any of you guys know if the hp pump is the same for a cx22, as it is for a cx25?
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    Do any of you guys know if the hp pump is the same for a cx22, as it is for a cx25?
    Hi Smiffy,
    I'm pretty sure that the CX2200 used a single piston or a 5 piston pump, whereas the CX2400 and upward used the 7 piston one because of the divari power steering etc.
    Cheers...George 1/8th.

Hmmm, but my cx22 (88) has diravi, so would that suggest they could be the same? It's not so important just now, but I want to know when I scrap the car wether to hang on to it or sell it. john s

Hi John,

We never got the plastic bumper CXs here, except as private imports - I suspect that by 1988 they had standardised the pump - the mountings might be different though, as the 22 has the Douvrin engine doesn't it? As far as I know there are about 3 Douvrin engined cars in Oz!

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Golly, I had no idea they were such a rarity down under! Well, I can tell you, the CX22 is waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy quieter than the CX25!!! And, surprisingly eager too! If anyone is interested to see the differences between their CX24/5, and my CX22, I could post some pics of under the bonnet....john s

Golly, I had no idea they were such a rarity down under! Well, I can tell you, the CX22 is waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy quieter than the CX25!!! And, surprisingly eager too! If anyone is interested to see the differences between their CX24/5, and my CX22, I could post some pics of under the bonnet....john s
    Hey John...please do..and could someone please tell me what is a Douvrin engine?
    Thanks..Cheers..George 1/8th.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th
    Hey John...please do..and could someone please tell me what is a Douvrin engine?
    Thanks..Cheers..George 1/8th.
    Think R25, Renaut Fuego etc... They all have the douvrin 4cylinder banger. It's a good motor and much lighter than the 'Cit' motor. The CX probably handles better with that hanging over the front wheels.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hi George,

The Douvrin engine is all alloy - it was also fitted to the late Pug 505s. It is a lot lighter than the CitroŽn engine, but not as strong (they couldn't turbocharge it) and reputedly not as long lasting. It also has the disadvantage in the CX that the exhaust is right up next to the firewall - and you know what that means!

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith
    Hi George,

The Douvrin engine is all alloy - it was also fitted to the late Pug 505s. It is a lot lighter than the CitroŽn engine, but not as strong (they couldn't turbocharge it) and reputedly not as long lasting. It also has the disadvantage in the CX that the exhaust is right up next to the firewall - and you know what that means!

Paul
    Ok...thanks for that Paul, I was wondering about what a Douvrin was. I have heard that the CX is already hot enough without an exhaust system up against the firewall. Not a real good idea. Mine's not a Douvrin. I'll find out how hot it is this summer...I hope to have it on the road before Christmas.
    Cheers...George.

The name douvrin comes from the town in france where they are made. This engine was a partnership between CitroŽn, Peugeot, Renault, and Volvo. The cit was CX 20/22, pug 504/505 ren was the fuego and I think the r20. Volvo however, didn't use this engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen HP Pump..-ca_3.jpg  

The name douvrin comes from the town in france where they are made. This engine was a partnership between CitroŽn, Peugeot, Renault, and Volvo. The cit was CX 20/22, pug 504/505 ren was the fuego and I think the r20. Volvo however, didn't use this engine.
    Thanks Smiffy, it looks like any CX really....usually everything looks accessible but turns out to be almost impossible to access. After lots of cursing and swearing, and thinking...usually ...hopefully... the answer is found.
    Cheers...George.

Access is very good on this engine, there's so much room! Not like a CX25 at all! john s

Access is very good on this engine, there's so much room! Not like a CX25 at all! john s
    Well John...that would be a first for Citroen....
    Cheers....George.

Thread Information