Buying a 2003 Xsara VTR 1.6L
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Buying a 2003 Xsara VTR 1.6L

A friend is thinking about buying a 2003 Xsara VTR 1.6L. She wants to know what it'd be like on the highway (between Canberra dn aSydney) and down to the coast. (a "normal" NSW road).

Does it have enough power as it's a 1.6l motor?

I don't know the first things about Xsara's - they're too new for me :-)

Charlie

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I've driven loan-car Xsara's with that engine and it has heaps of go - 80 odd kw.
    Very quiet compared to the Peugeot 306 (the car upon which the Xsara is based) probably because the Xsara's a much newer car.

The Xsara 1.6 goes much better than the Peugeot 306 1.8 if that helps...

Derek

I used to own a VTR before my VTS. Performance is more than adequate, it goes well on the highway. Fuel economy on the highway is excellent. It's gearing is taller than the VTS so it does not rev as highly and hence is quieter on the highway. The only area where I think it may struggle a little is in gear acceleration if the car is under heavy load, you may find you have to downshift frequently to get revs up.

Troy.

HI Charlie

I regularly do the Cbr - Syd run and I own an '02 VTR. It always feels like it needs a 6th gear, on about 110 km/h you'll sit at about 3k revs. Comfort wise, no complaints. Seats are OK and they don't leave you with a sore bum.
    Road noise is minimal, although I notice more noise around the window seals (but not more than any other car I've owned).
    Power wise, we all could do with a little more! The hill past Lake George always gets me. By that leg of the journey the last thing you wanna do is shift gears, but you really need to drop down a notch (or two!) to get over it.
    Apart from that, the only other gripe about going Syd-Cbr is the distinct lack of twisties! Oh, and the boredom (both the trip and the town)

Quote Originally Posted by monkey
    Apart from that, the only other gripe about going Syd-Cbr is the distinct lack of twisties! Oh, and the boredom (both the trip and the town)
    Yeah, I find Sydney quite boring too!!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by charlie916
    A friend is thinking about buying a 2003 Xsara VTR 1.6L. She wants to know what it'd be like on the highway (between Canberra dn aSydney) and down to the coast. (a "normal" NSW road).

Does it have enough power as it's a 1.6l motor?
    I'd imagine it should be fine, based on my experience with a 307 1.6 manual. I know some here think it's a slug, but having driven several of its competitors, I'd disagree - it's got fairly short gearing. Note the Xsara is a little lighter too which should help.

Its economy is also quite good.

One thing though - what price has she been offered? New Xsaras are very cheap, the VTR is $19,990 plus on road costs.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!

Xsara's are being run out... they're to be replaced by the Citroen C4 at the end of this year, and they'll probably arrive here midyear 2005

Icon11

ive driven both and the xsara is a much better car than the 306 i think...They cant be compared....

Thread Information