C5 Taxi for all ye of little faith
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon10 C5 Taxi for all ye of little faith

Here's a posting from overseas re: a guy who runs a Xantia as a Taxi & is intending replacing it with a C5 along with comments of an ex C5 owner who was a commercial traveller but had his car written off in a prang and his experiences with other C5 Taxis in Spain..

Advertisement

http://www.andyspares.com/discussion...?TOPIC_ID=8804

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

nJm

It doesn't say that much other than C5's are used as taxis in Spain. They are also used in Paris, although there tended to be far more Mercedes E220 CDI's and Peugeot 406/607's. Sure you don't need to change the oil filter that often etc, but it says nothing of the reliability of the electronics and suspension, two areas that haven't fared well in the C5 in Europe.

They use 20 year old VW Santana's as taxis in Shanghai, and they are all noisy, smelly and break down all the time. But they are taxis so they must be good....
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

It's probably a bit unfortunate Nick that you don't know the history of the guy who responded but he did big miles in a short time in a C5 & declared it as the best car he'd owned. He also used a few taxis in Spain and found they'd done 250K klms of troublefree running and based on this he bought his through his work and has recommended several others to buy all of whom have also made the same statement.
    It's a bit hard for some of the C5 knockers to accept that the C5 is one real seriously good motor car; alright, some have had problems, no arguement there but the fact still remains that across the board these are proving to be an exceptional car.
    I sold F**ds as well as Toyotas and Mercs so no fairy stories about their reliability as I've seen life from the other side of the counter.
    The fact that people who use cars for their livelihood are prepared to gamble on the reliability of the C5 to me says they must be doing something right.

Alan S

Alan S

1000+ Posts

I'm sure it was CAR magazine that declared the C5 a good future minicab...

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    I'm sure it was CAR magazine that declared the C5 a good future minicab...
    Hey Stuey, you should change your AF name to 'shoulda boughta BX16v'

Why minicab? there is as much if not more room in a C5 than in a Falcon or Comadore - jeez just realised I don't know how to spell Holdens best seller

After a couple of years of ownership, I agree with Alan, the C5 has been utterly reliable = 100%, remains as quiet as when we bought it (slight audible diesel clatter, only at idle) not a rattle or squeak, very good ride/comfort, amazing economy. It's early days yet with only 35k under it's belt but not a hint of trouble, the achilles heel for French cars past 'The Dreaded Electrics' have thus far proven to be perfect, rain sensing wipers, auto lights on, windows, seats, climate, all behave as designed and intended.

If this was our first experience with Citroen we would be converts. Its a shame about the early cars (more especially in Europe) they have again attached a stigma that the second generation do not deserve. Let's hope Citroen can get it right first time with the long awaited C6.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

Hey Chris, I was looking at BX's and Mi's and in fact wasn't ready to buy yet due to a severe slump in the Stuart financial markets, but this Pug is in such good nick I couldn't let it go. Weirdly, I almost wished I hadn't found it after I'd seen it! I don't like borrowing money, that's the issue...

As for the minicab thing, it's not a reference to size; it's just what the Poms call their private taxis. They use everything from Granadas to diesel Cits.

Stuey

UFO

minicab is the term used for a "pre booked" cab. The poms have two types of cab (at least). The normal "wave one down" type that you usually associate with the black cabs (although they are ALL sorts of psyco colours these days).

Minicabs you ring up and order one from your preferred supplier. These services AFAIK are not allowed to just pick up but I believe they quote you a set price when you order.

Mini does not necessarily refer to the size.

I could be completely wrong here and further clarification may be provided by someone "over there".

By the way, here is a pic of a cab in Windamere in the Lakes District of England.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 Taxi for all ye of little faith-c5cab.jpg  
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon10

Ahhh thank you wise frogs Stuey/UFO

Mini does not mean small, Mini does not mean small, Mini does not mean small, Mini does not mean small, Mini does not mean small, Mini does not mean small, Mini does not mean small, Mini does not mean small, Mini does not mean small, Mini does not mean small, Mini does not mean small,....

Except maybe in the Aussiefrocks thread mini-me "groovy baby"

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    Ahhh thank you wise frogs Stuey/UFO

Mini does not mean small
    Chris
    Unless used in the worst possible context at the worst possible time and laughter is heard soon after
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

The new facelifted C5 is out soon in Europe, It looks even better & with lots more toys & the prices isnt even going up

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Unless used in the worst possible context at the worst possible time and laughter is heard soon after
    Ummm yes, I've heard somewhere it's not size that matters

So Craig, your doing a sloooow release of your pics... notice them appearing at just the right moment in various threads

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

UFO

Well there are over 1000 car pics, so at this rate I should be able to get back to France in three years to top up
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

............and next years model will look like this:

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/html/c/c5-restyle.html

Alan S

Icon1

Ill never forget my trip from the paris airport in a C5 cab it was magnifique. I have never been in a quicker car in so much traffic.
    The manual hdi is a great car and very quick at stop/ starts. The cabin was filled with so much smoke from the drivers gitanes or whatever they were(camel) it was cool though he seemed to be totally uncaring about the car and was happy listening to his french talkback....I was in heaven....

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Ill never forget my trip from the paris airport in a C5 cab it was magnifique. I have never been in a quicker car in so much traffic.
    The manual hdi is a great car and very quick at stop/ starts. The cabin was filled with so much smoke from the drivers gitanes or whatever they were(camel) it was cool though he seemed to be totally uncaring about the car and was happy listening to his french talkback....I was in heaven....
    Daniel,

His attitude might have had something to do with what he was smoking and the fumes off it you were sniffing up might explain why you thought you were in heaven.

Alan S

nJm

Lol. Parisian taxi drivers - nothing like 'em. Watch out for those driving Vel Satis though .

You're right on the mini-cab thing. You have to pre-order them, and they tend to be quite a bit cheaper than a black cab (not that all the black cabs are black anymore). I was only in London for a month, but I went in many different mini-cabs. Top spec Ford Galaxy MPV, Peugeot 406, Vauxhall Astra complete base model diesel, etc.

I started using them a bit after trying to stomach one of the £65 black cab rides home from the airport (I was only in Ealing, West London and really not that far away from Heathrow)
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Icon1

Alan your right. Im mad at the best of times but when im in a french taxi leaving the airport in paris and going to paris city i go neaurotic, I go nuts. I go off matey....

Tadpole

I am surprised by the amount of negative comments the C5 receives here - it feels like some owners think it isn't the real thing, that somehow Citroen owners think it a compromise? Its a fantastic car - happens to be my first Citroen, and I have never been happier. The service has been fantastic, and my dealer reports that there have been no issues with the car - he sees them routinely for service and littel else. I have the V6 - its got bags of power, the handling is terrific, and every time it drops its nose at 110km I think its amazing.

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by peterm
    I am surprised by the amount of negative comments the C5 receives here - it feels like some owners think it isn't the real thing, that somehow Citroen owners think it a compromise? Its a fantastic car - happens to be my first Citroen, and I have never been happier. The service has been fantastic, and my dealer reports that there have been no issues with the car - he sees them routinely for service and littel else. I have the V6 - its got bags of power, the handling is terrific, and every time it drops its nose at 110km I think its amazing.
    Thanks Peter, like most things, we generally only hear of the problems, it's rare for someone to take the trouble to come online and just say "hey, having a great run with my car, blah, blah... "

Good on ya' and welcome to Aussiefrogs

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

My C5 now has over 50K it has had one problem and once I found a good dealer it was fixed in 2 days. I am very happy with the car, I recently drove a 6cyl Subaru outback (2 years old same as my C5) and it just felt old. There has been a lot of C5 knocking but I think its mostly crook dealers that need weeding out (as my old one has).
    Mark McKibbin

Icon10

yes a lot of C5 owners in the CCCNSW think that people are "anti C5". I love a C5 and would buy one instantly but the issue is that they are way out of my price range. Otherwise would have one NOW!!!
    I think they are the best. I love that French advert with all the ones and zeros too very effective marketing....

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    yes a lot of C5 owners in the CCCNSW think that people are "anti C5". I love a C5 and would buy one instantly but the issue is that they are way out of my price range. Otherwise would have one NOW!!!
    I think they are the best. I love that French advert with all the ones and zeros too very effective marketing....
    A small number of C5 owners think that - probably less than five. The last meeting saw the facts presented in a little less biased form.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Doesn't sound like the CCCNSW is the place to be for a C5 owner then..

Icon10

I think the CCNSW club is the best french car club. Wide variety of people in it and the best bunch i have ever met.
    There are a few worries but most of the people are fantastic. Why wouldnt it be a good club to join if you have a C5?
    The club is not anti C5 just a few think they are thats all....

Tadpole

I got a vibe that it mighn't be too C5 friendly - so its good to hear my vibe was incorrect!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information