What a bargain!
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: What a bargain!

Default What a bargain!

Just thought I'd share with you my latest ride! Found it on ebay, just up the road from where I live. Went to see it, it had no mot, and just needed a door handle, a rocker cover and a headlamp bulb! So, for the grand total of £235 or $AU 591.33 to buy the car, parts, and the mot, I got a real bargain!!!!!

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What a bargain!-my-zx-20i-volcane.jpg  
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    Just thought I'd share with you my latest ride! Found it on ebay, just up the road from where I live. Went to see it, it had no mot, and just needed a door handle, a rocker cover and a headlamp bulb! So, for the grand total of £235 or $AU 591.33 to buy the car, parts, and the mot, I got a real bargain!!!!!
    It must be an English "thing". It's extraordinary from where I live in WA how people in UK will sell running cars that need practically nothing doing for supermarket prices. I'm amazed. Just amazed.

I'm presuming it's not rusted to bits?

Well done!!

JohnW

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071

Hi Smiffy, sounds like a bargain...I assume "mot" means motor registration or something. Also, the picture looks ok but the resolution is typical digital...I cant read from the car what make or model it is...it could be many things...how would you like to spell it out for me what you have there , make , year etc etc.
    Thanks...cheers...George 1/8th.

The reply to both of those I'll do in one hit! It's a 1994 Citroen ZX 2.0 volcane, which was the go fast version of an ordinary family hatchback. The good thing about ZX cars, is they were double galvanised at the factory, which means they just don't seem to rust at all!!!! I've never seen a rusty one ever! If you compare it with a similar car of the same year like say, a holden astra, or a ford laser they are full of rot by now!
    It's true thet here, used cars are worth very little and some serious bargains can be had. The mot refers to ministry of transport annual safety test. I believe you call it rego, or roadworthy.
    It is very similar mechanically to a peugot 306. john s

Icon11

very nice Zx Volcane indeed matey. Pity these cars never came out to australia. Anoher missed oportunity.Enjoy it and post up kore pics of the interior please..

UFO

One reason older cars in Europe in general go so cheap is the EU rules on disposal of vehicles. It costs big bickies to dispose of a car. So if you can pass on the problem all the better.

Also, the Poms in particular are worse at playing "keep up with the joneses" than Aussies. A friend over there explained the whole K reg, L reg etc etc bull and how it affects when people buy cars so they don't seem to have the OLD car. And of course once you get into this game vehicles depreciate faster than a politician's reputation
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    One reason older cars in Europe in general go so cheap is the EU rules on disposal of vehicles. It costs big bickies to dispose of a car. So if you can pass on the problem all the better.

Also, the Poms in particular are worse at playing "keep up with the joneses" than Aussies. A friend over there explained the whole K reg, L reg etc etc bull and how it affects when people buy cars so they don't seem to have the OLD car. And of course once you get into this game vehicles depreciate faster than a politician's reputation
    For those who know their potatoes, the j reg one is the one to have. that would be the early 1.9, which was actually more powerfull, (130ps, 2.0=123ps)as it had no cat. They do about 210kph, which I think is quite fast enough!! The reason it costs money to dispose of an end of life car, is the scrap man has to be a licenced waste handler. It's all bollocks really, as breakers yards were recyclers anyway! john s
    Last edited by smiffy1071; 23rd August 2004 at 11:58 AM.

Thread Information