Citroen C2 VTS Announced.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Citroen C2 VTS Announced.

Saw this in Auto Express' website, the C2 VTS. 125 Bhp 1.6 and 0-62mph in 8.3 secs.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae...y.php?id=49308

Spirit Of Saxo Lives On In New VTS

by Chris Thorp

Advertisement

Britain's best-selling hot hatch is set to make a comeback - and Auto Express has got its hands on the first official pictures. The sensational Citroen C2 VTS replaces the Saxo VTS, which put the manufacturer on the map among young buyers, and broke hot hatch sales records with its combination of good looks, potent engines and free insurance.

Since production of the Saxo VTS stopped last year, fans of hot Citroens have had to be content with the lukewarm C2 VTR and limited-edition GT - but now the maker has finally got round to launching its flagship, and bosses are predicting big demand, especially in the UK. Twice as many Saxo VTR and VTS models were sold in Britain than any other European country, and similar success is expected with the C2.

To try to attract the widest range of buyers possible, designers have exercised surprising restraint when penning the VTS, with only a mild bodykit and large-diameter alloy wheels setting the model apart from lesser variants.

And while the black interior has a sporty feel - including aluminium pedals - it's also understated. Under the bonnet, the car will use the same 1.6-litre four-cylinder petrol engine as the VTR, but the 16-valve unit has been tuned to produce 125bhp - an increase of 15bhp.

Power is fed to the front wheels via a five-speed manual transmission, resulting in a 0-62mph time of 8.3 seconds and a maximum speed of 126mph. However, unlike the VTR, the VTS won't be available with Citroen's SensoDrive clutchless manual gearbox.

To cope with the extra pace, the C2's chassis has also been thoroughly reworked. Expect firmer suspension and more weighty steering, giving the Citroen the sort of nimble feel which made its Saxo predecessor such a hot hatch icon.

At £11,995, the VTS is keenly priced, undercutting rivals like the £12,195 Fiat Punto HGT and the £12,245 Toyota Yaris T Sport. Included in the generous list of standard equipment are air-conditioning and electronic stability control. But far and away the biggest no-cost extra will be free insurance. The cover applies to all buyers aged between 21 and 80 and even once the 12 months are up, subsequent premiums shouldn't cost the earth because the VTS is placed in group eight - some six places lower than the old Saxo VTS.

That will be great news for younger motorists and Citroen is acutely aware this machine will appeal to newly qualified drivers looking to buy their first vehicle. The company is officially unveiling the C2 VTS to the public at a modified car event to be held at the Ace Cafť in north London later this month.

Troy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen C2 VTS Announced.-car_portal_pic_16096.jpg   Citroen C2 VTS Announced.-car_portal_pic_16095.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

If they imported the VTS into Australia it could be very tempting, and the grey interior looks ok too, at a reasonable price would be an excellent package.

Fellow Frogger!

On the Citroen UK website too http://www.citroen.co.uk/level3/mode...sp?pagetype=c2

If they bring it here and if you can turn off the ESP completely I'll be tempted ...
    unfrogged (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by petermelb
    If they imported the VTS into Australia it could be very tempting, and the grey interior looks ok too, at a reasonable price would be an excellent package.
    In the UK the pricing between the VTR and VTS is

SensoDrive VTR
    £ 11095

VTS
    £ 11995

Troy.

Fellow Frogger!

whats it likely to sell for in aus is the question?>

i like the c2, after reading the article in the last performance gti mag I have a soft spot, and this version looks like it will have some power to go with the looks.

the interior is great.

I think Citroen would be mad not to bring C2 VTS down-under. It really needs a Hot-Hatch contender in this segment and would sell like crazy provided they dont get too greedy with it's pricing. Good to see it only comes with manual trans ( considering the un-predictable gear changes in senso-drive VTR). I hope the power is not restricted by Aussies tough emission laws. Not so sure about the dull grey interior compared to the colourfull VTR (will have to see in the flesh)

Cheers Pete
    01 Xsara VTS

i like the current C2 but i would never own one mainly cause of the gearbox and the translucent colouring inside. but since the GT doesn't have that i would own one of them, could have done with abit more poke though

Why dont they just get it over & done with & whack a 2L in one, lets say the 130kw job, Mmmm 0-100 in low 7's or late 6's, come on Citroen Executives...I dare you!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

I spoke to Howard at Allpikes on the way home this evening, apparently according to Citroen Oz the VTS will not be coming because of non compliance with the ADR's. No specific info was provided by Citroen Oz, other than they would be working with parent company to try and work it out.

Troy.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    apparently according to Citroen Oz the VTS will not be coming because of non compliance with the ADR's. No specific info was provided by Citroen Oz, other than they would be working with parent company to try and work it out. Troy.
    Amazing .. other then emissions I wonder why it would be different from the VTR ???

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Amazing .. other then emissions I wonder why it would be different from the VTR ???

- XTC206 -
    Emissions was the first thing I thought of, but then again, wouldn't the Euro emission standards be more strigent?

Troy.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Emissions was the first thing I thought of, but then again, wouldn't the Euro emission standards be more strigent? Troy.
    Yep ... so I can't see what it'd be .. safety wise it's certainly up there ... probably something really silly like no child seat anchor points in the back.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Wow, looks like a really nice car there! Can anyone tell me why the original SAXO wasnt sold here in the first place?

Who thinks the 1.4 will be sold in Australia, or will the pricing be too close to the C3?

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Yep ... so I can't see what it'd be .. safety wise it's certainly up there ... probably something really silly like no child seat anchor points in the back.

- XTC206 -
    As the VTR is imported suppose it does meet the regs so I guess it must be something mechanical as that's what is different. Mind you seems according to Citroen UK you can't turn ESP off (or you can but it turns itself on again at 18mph - about 30kmh) so all my enthusiasm has gone. So one model (VTR) not available manual, another (VTS) has enforced ESP, and the GT doesn't come here. I think they're trying to tell me something like I should look after my 205!
    unfrogged (for now)

Thread Information