G'day all *grin* New tadpole in your pond...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default G'day all *grin* New tadpole in your pond...

Just a quick hello from a very new and very proud BX owner here in perth.

Been around citroens (CS's, DS's, and a BX) for a while, but never got around to actually owning one, but on monday night I took delivery of my new baby, a white '91 BX 16v... It's done quite a few miles, but it seems to have all been on long trips, so the car seems pretty schmick, all things considered.

There appear to be a few things that are going to cost me money on it, but once it's all sorted, I'm looking forward to smooth sailing in a beautiful car. The most obvious one is the rear arm bearings but I'm sort of having to put this off til I've got a few spare bucks lying around idle. Shouldn't be more than a month or so.

So yeah, hello froggies, I look forward to pestering you for mechanical advice and parts questions in the near future! Like right now for instance!

Who can tell me what (if any) non-citroen standard fog lamps might fit into the bumper on this car? One of my lamps is smashed in, so I figure I might as well just buy two new ones and be done with it. It's a low priority, but I'll be wanting to get it sorted eventually...

Anyone got a spare tailgate brake light (the one up top) for a BX? This car just doesn't have one... no biggie, but worth getting sorted.

The only other question I've got is how many perth-based frogs are there on these boards? Wouldn't mind checking out a few other BX owners around town for a chat and a beer or two some time...

Edit: Oh, and any perth based people who read about a red AXGT for sale in wembley downs, don't pay anywhere near what the WENCH is asking. I put down $500 as a deposit with the agreement that if an RAC check showed up any major problems, the deposit would come back.

Advertisement

RAC guy found mayo-oil gunk all through the radiator, and various non-working auxiliary systems, and she reckons it's not a major problem, and that my deposit isn't coming back unless I buy the car. She also claims I 'stuffed her around' by not contacting her, despite me leaving messages on her answering machine twice a day every day for almost a week, with no call back from her. I'm taking her to local court over it, but I just want to warn all you guys about her, because she seems very friendly and reasonable at first, but will STIFF you given half a chance.

If you buy this AX, be prepared to throw down big money to get it sorted properly after the purchase, and don't pay her what she's asking.
    Last edited by sideways; 19th August 2004 at 01:34 AM.
    '91 BX 16 Valve

Icon10

welcome to aussiefrogs but that sounds like a horror story matey. Such a shame too as the AX is a great little car....a real rarey....
    We are all nice people on here u will have lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by sideways
    Just a quick hello from a very new and very proud BX owner here in perth.

Been around citroens (CS's, DS's, and a BX) for a while, but never got around to actually owning one, but on monday night I took delivery of my new baby, a white '91 BX 16v... It's done quite a few miles, but it seems to have all been on long trips, so the car seems pretty schmick, all things considered.

There appear to be a few things that are going to cost me money on it, but once it's all sorted, I'm looking forward to smooth sailing in a beautiful car. The most obvious one is the rear arm bearings but I'm sort of having to put this off til I've got a few spare bucks lying around idle. Shouldn't be more than a month or so.

So yeah, hello froggies, I look forward to pestering you for mechanical advice and parts questions in the near future! Like right now for instance!

Who can tell me what (if any) non-citroen standard fog lamps might fit into the bumper on this car? One of my lamps is smashed in, so I figure I might as well just buy two new ones and be done with it. It's a low priority, but I'll be wanting to get it sorted eventually...

Anyone got a spare tailgate brake light (the one up top) for a BX? This car just doesn't have one... no biggie, but worth getting sorted.

The only other question I've got is how many perth-based frogs are there on these boards? Wouldn't mind checking out a few other BX owners around town for a chat and a beer or two some time...

Edit: Oh, and any perth based people who read about a red AXGT for sale in wembley downs, don't pay anywhere near what the WENCH is asking. I put down $500 as a deposit with the agreement that if an RAC check showed up any major problems, the deposit would come back.

RAC guy found mayo-oil gunk all through the radiator, and various non-working auxiliary systems, and she reckons it's not a major problem, and that my deposit isn't coming back unless I buy the car. She also claims I 'stuffed her around' by not contacting her, despite me leaving messages on her answering machine twice a day every day for almost a week, with no call back from her. I'm taking her to local court over it, but I just want to warn all you guys about her, because she seems very friendly and reasonable at first, but will STIFF you given half a chance.

If you buy this AX, be prepared to throw down big money to get it sorted properly after the purchase, and don't pay her what she's asking.

Welcome aboard mate, I too had a look at that AX before I bought another 16V for a work hack, that lady certainly is delusional & I cant believe that car is in that bad a condition for a 1991 car Its a shame she has stuffed you around, it gives Cit owners a bad name! There are ways of dealing with people like that though!! We sold our AX which was in mint cond for only $5k 2 yrs ago & she is now asking $4990 for hers, good luck honey! Did you get the cock & bull story about her son not driving it & wanting to restore an old Mini etc etc?? I got your PM & look forward to catching up at some stage, there are probably about 10-15 16V's on the road in Perth & as far as I know just 2 on Aussiefrogs, yours & mine! There are quite a lot of WA AF'ers & the few I have met are nice blokes, WA seems to have our fair share on board anyway! I have quite a bit of memorabilia left over from my last 16V I had a few years ago you maybe interested in as well. I didnt think I'd buy another one but a 1990 with only 114,000km on it & always serviced by Allpikes for $4k was just too tempting! The only thing wrong is a broken glovebox! I have fond memories of my last 16V, 'it' kept getting me speeding tickets & I eventually swapped it for an 89 19TRi in the hope of slowing me down, nice try but no success! Thank god for radar detectors thats all I can say. No fines in 3 yrs now! (touch wood!) The TRi is like a different car completely compared to the 16V. I have stopped driving my Xsara as its for sale & I am having a lot more fun in the 16V
    I am rationalising the fleet at the moment to invest in more property & was concerned I wouldnt find anything decent at that price but with the 16V you get a LOT of car for the money, as long as the paints good as well they age a lot better than the equivalent Mi-16's, not many of them around that look good anymore IMHO. Good luck with the purchase anyway mate, I will PM you re: car stereo etc
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Welcome to Aussiefrogs

There are quite a few 16V owners here now, which is great to see. Maybe a 16V register wouldn't be a bad idea considering there are so few of them around.

Welcome to Aussiefrogs, it's good to see more Perth people on the board.

Troy.

welcome to the forum while I don't have a Cit hanging around here, it's nice to see them getting around in Perth (i own a pug)

Sounds like a perth cruise might be on the cards , they're will be a lot of frog admiring

Hang a small claims summons on "Dragonlady" that should sort that out.
    Mayo in the breather system is usually caused by driving a car in cold weather over short distances and having a dud (or no) thermostat. Mayo in the radiator is possibly internal corrosion, blown head gasket or a cracked head; she hasn't a leg to stand on with a RAC report like that.

Ref the rear arm bearings; ain't you the lucky one. I'm presently doing a couple of sets of them right now. One set on a TZi another on the 16V.
    There's a few ways to go about it. One is a complete kit (blurrdy expensive), another is a part kit, (expensive enough) and the third or preferred option is to just buy the bearings.
    You may find (as I have) that the bearings aren't all that easy to access as they are SKF and aren't cross referenced by other companies such as Timken. I found the only place my local SKF bearing dealer could get them was ex-Melbourne and he also offered me an option of a cheaper Chinese brand but as these are pre-laoded via a set of spacers & thrusts, I felt the risk was too great for the sake of a couple of bucks.
    The actual bearing number on mine was 442327 N and I've been quoted $15 a bearing; you'll need 2 a side or 4 all up.
    I'd suggest checking on availability first, then removing the old before actually buying them as depending on the extent of damage to the existing bearings will have a bearing (no pun intended) on whether you get away with just bearings or need an entire kit on one or both arms.
    The passenger's side will be worst as it is the one that gets most strain and is also the one in the gutter when it rains and the car is parked. Take advantage of the situation whilst you have the arm out of the car and free & clean up the rear brakes (they WILL be seized) and repack the rear wheel bearing with grease. You need to have weight on the rear arm to bleed the brakes too incidentally.

Here's a website showing what is required. You need access to a couple of axle stands, a welder and either a press or a lump hammer and a drift.

http://members.fortunecity.com/werkp...armlagers.html

Hope that helps you along the way.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

XTC

Sideways and sajica.au .. no "Aussiefrog" cruises per-se but there is this coming up in 2 weeks for PCCWA members and other Cit/Ren WA car clubs, be good to see you there.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Guys,

sounds like some fun. The rear arm bearings may be starting to fail on my BX, fortunatly the dash is so broken and rattly I can't hear any creaks or groans (so it doesn't need fixing ).

It's basically the same as changing the CX rear arms, there even the same bearing. I have done the job several times on CX's, it varies from dead easy (if the big bolt comes out and the bearing races aren't wrecked), to bloody painful agravating tediousness The only car I've done the rear arms on that wasn't simple was my current CX.

I'm not sure if the page I quickly knocked up on changing arm bearings will help or scare sh!t out of you

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/shane/cx2...reararms2.html

Enjoy

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

her son DOES want to restore a mini. He's got an old clubby shell sitting in their garage with all their other cars (they have about 4-5) and he seemed very interested in buying my mini (which is for sale). I freaking well hope the kid didn't drive the AX, he's 14.

Can't take her to small claims tribunal because it's a private sale, not a shop, so... hi-ho, hi-ho, to local court we go. Unless the summons scares her into giving me my damn money back. First I need to find the bloody reciept for the deposit... Somewhere here on my desk.... *shudder*

as far as aforementioned arm bearings go, I'm afraid your guide has only scared me that the mechanic I take it to (don't have the equipment/space to do it myself) is going to charge me somewhere between $1000 and $1,000,000,000. No fun.
    '91 BX 16 Valve

Congratulations on your new purchase, and it sounds like a good buy. Have always loved the style of the BX 16v. You don't see a great deal of them around in Adelaide......Pity. Will look forward to reading a review about your BX in later threads

Cheers Pete
    01 Xsara VTS

Did you buy your 16V from Rory?

Ken W

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W
    Did you buy your 16V from Rory?

Ken W
    Ken, mate your just too slow, should've booked the train when we had our chat

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Well Chris,

I was tempted, but seeing my TZI has 9.5 to 1 compression ratio anyway, I don't reckon moving up to a 16 valve for an extra 1000 revs at the top end would be worth the grief elsewhere. And most of them have that damn sunroof to contend with.

So, I didn't even send Rory an email. How's that for strength of character!

I guess I'll just have to keep on getting the occasional Mega Quickpick.

Heard wife say the other night 'O I'd never get Ken out of our current house' so I corrected her and said that I'd be quite happy to move to a house that had a barn out the back to house quite a few special cars.

See you soon.

Ken W

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W
    Well Chris,

I was tempted, but seeing my TZI has 9.5 to 1 compression ratio anyway, I don't reckon moving up to a 16 valve for an extra 1000 revs at the top end would be worth the grief elsewhere. And most of them have that damn sunroof to contend with. Ken W
    Just stirring Ken....
    Though you might be suprised how much fun that extra 1000rpm can be
    Sunroof, it's great, yeah sure every 6 months or so you need to clear the drains but.. well that's what makes it a real a sitrun.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Tadpole

in response to another question in another thread (mad bastard that I am)

Costs with this BX in the first week:

Regassing all 5 spheres ($200 - expensive because the elusive 5th sphere took about an hour to get off)
    New driver's side headlight ($180)
    New Hydraulic pump belt ($60 with fitting)
    And right now it's at the auto electricians getting one of the power windows and the rear wiper looked at.

And I can see several things that need doing soon (rear arm bearings, one of the engine mount bushes is completely knackered, a little knuckle in the gear selector setup needs replacing, brakes need new pads and discs probably need machining... oh, and new fog lights up front.) so I can see it's not going to be cheap, but once it's all done, I think it's going to be a very schmick car, that I plan on holding on to and maintaining for a goodly long time.
    '91 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Default Welcolm form Perth

Hi and welcolm to A F.

There are qiute a few French car enthusiasts here. Lovely car the 16 valve and I am sure you will get it sorted out and will enjoy it. I had a MI16 and that was fun. Now have a 206GTI.

Hope to see you on one of the runs with Peugeot club.

Graeme

1000+ Posts

Howdy, Sideways.

Just thought I'd throw my greeting in here as another sandgroper. I was looking at both BX's and Mi16's with no particular preference, but the Mi won out simply because I stumbled upon a good 'un first. I still love the style of the BX though, and can remember the first time I saw it in CAR magazine - as I can the Mi. At the time I didn't even imagine owning one of either...

Anyway, it looks like we'll all have to meet up some time...

Cheers

Stuey

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Anyway, it looks like we'll all have to meet up some time...
    French Car Day perhaps ??

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

Ahh. A sore point in my household. Wifey booked a cottage in Yallingup commencing 10th October... No, not the 11th. Oh, no. The bloody TENTH!!! Thanks, LOVVEY!

I've been meaning to meet John W for about 4 years now. Have to be another time.
    Stuey

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Ahh. A sore point in my household. Wifey booked a cottage in Yallingup commencing 10th October... No, not the 11th. Oh, no. The bloody TENTH!!! Thanks, LOVVEY!

I've been meaning to meet John W for about 4 years now. Have to be another time.
    Stuey
    You've 10 months to get organised Stuey. Should be possible if you do it now!! I'm not sure which Sunday is "Spring in the Valley" in 2005, but that's the day!

Cheers

JohnW

Welcome to

Congrats on the new purchase!

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Guys, I'm in Perth too.

Chris.

BX16V
    BX Savage
    1964 ID19

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dunham
    Hi Guys, I'm in Perth too.

Chris.

BX16V
    BX Savage
    1964 ID19

Where did this come from?
    Here perhaps????????????????

BX 16v - what model is the Sauvage?

Alan S

PS. If nothing else, you get to meet the rest of the Perth Aussiefrogs clan.
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Just for interest sakes...
    I'm in Perth too, South Perth to be exact
    and I have a BX 16valve too!
    .....and I need to replace my rear arm bearings too

Does anyone know if it will damage the car if I wait til the rear arm bearings are totally stuffed?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information