High petrol prices....
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default High petrol prices....

Hi Froggies...I was just wondering...petrol prices are now expected to go as high as $3.00 per litre in the next 2 years...as the oil begins to run out.
    I'm wondering if I should get LPG fitted to my CX once I get it on the road.
    Does anyone have any suggestions regarding which set up is best for CXs...how suitable is the engine for a gas conversion etc etc...
    I had an LPG car 10 yrs ago....fuel costs were brilliant...about $15.00 for a full tank.
    It's sounding pretty good in theory anyway....
    cheers...George 1/8th.

Advertisement

Icon10

Well in sydney at present its up arounf 1.15 p/l . Its crazy stuff. The person behind the counter told me they are constantly being abused when people are paying for it too.
    C;mon Howard "axe the tax"......

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th
    Hi Froggies...I was just wondering...petrol prices are now expected to go as high as $3.00 per litre in the next 2 years...as the oil begins to run out.
    Does anyone have any suggestions regarding which set up is best for CXs...how suitable is the engine for a gas conversion etc etc...
    I had an LPG car 10 yrs ago....fuel costs were brilliant...about $15.00 for a full tank.
    cheers...George 1/8th.
    Bye Bye boot.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Well in sydney at present its up arounf 1.15 p/l . Its crazy stuff. The person behind the counter told me they are constantly being abused when people are paying for it too.
    C;mon Howard "axe the tax"......
    Daniel we have some of the cheapest petrol in the world (I know, USA is always cheaper).

Who gives a [email protected] who's in government. That has no effect on petrol pricing at all. The petrol companies are weild much more power than our funny little government, they'll basically do what they want.

BTW: There's nothing government can do about petrol tax. Sure they could get rid of it, then they'll have to find another way to find the billions of $$$$ a year it brings in. How would you like even the lowest wage earners to pay nearly 50cent in the dollar tax

The price of petrol does matter but it really shouldn't matter in the big cities where there is decent public transport. Really they should be paying $3.00 a litre to subsidise the petrol users in the country that NEED to use cars (that'll get some discussion going ).

Oh yeah, the CX will run on GAS, my uncle has fitted gas to several CX's now. I think one was a C-matic and another was a CX2500ie.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon1

shane what you have just written is scandalous.......
    Just because the cities are bigger does not necesarily mean the public transport is better. In fact in NSW the transport system is in chaos and runs on a user pays system. Its outrageous to think that govt has nothing to do with all this including petrol prices.. Im not attacking any one side either, it seems to be both sides at fault and it just continues and the people let it happen.....Its a shame that we dont have a more progfressive system of govt to delve deeper into these causes and try to find solutions. A break from govt taxes or a lessening of tax would be a great help. The operators blame the govt and the govt blames the oil companies in the mean time my purse/wallet is being depleted as well as finite fossil fuels.
    What u say has a distinct ring of truth to it but it is very outrageous....

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th
    cheers...George 1/8th.
    If petrol goes to $3 a litre then LPG will go to $2.50 a litre. not a great saving really.
    If petrol does go to $3 a litre we would have a lot more to worry about than the cost of motoring.
    Bring back increased registration costs for larger cars and get rid of the tax dodge for 4wds at the same time!

Graham Wallis
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 12th August 2004 at 12:52 PM.

XTC

How about a single car policy (like China's 1 child per family) ... if you have 2 cars you have to pay double tax on the second and double fuel cost. .. sounds like a plan.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    How about a single car policy (like China's 1 child per family) ... if you have 2 cars you have to pay double tax on the second and double fuel cost. .. sounds like a plan.

- XTC206 -
    Alrighty I'm loading my shotgun and heading out the door now .... Where do you live again don't even suggest such a thing incase the government gets hold of it

Personally I think we should get rid of car registration, 3rd party insurance should be on your license, ie: anyone holding a license is covered for injury insurance (after all you can only drive one car at a time, having to pay insurance for every car you have registered is bloody ridiculous ).

We wouldn't then have an issue of people driving unregistered/uninsured cars as all licence holders WILL be insured. All cars MUST be insured (sorta like the UK) even if it's 3rd party property, you should have to display your insurance certificate where the rego label currently is.

Hows that grab ya

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

- XTC206 -
    Ahh hem!! How so, I can only drive one car at any given time, I'm paying road tax on four.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    Ahh hem!! How so, I can only drive one car at any given time, I'm paying road tax on four. Cheers Chris
    See .. when you make REDICULOUS claims / ideas everyone jumps on board ... I was having a lend, cause there has been some truly stupid ideas floating at the moment (like curfews for ADULTS <- sorry that gets my goat) .. and I was just adding to the insanity !!

- XTC206 -

Oh tell me again why any ONE person needs more then ONE car - as you rightly said "can only drive one car at any given time" ... ???
    Last edited by XTC206; 12th August 2004 at 01:55 PM.

Now this is a .sig

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

I fail to see how world oil prices effect us in such a big way. We drill probably about 80% of our own oil needs. The rest is improrted. This % is slowly going down, but still, there seems to be a big con job going on here.

By the way, I'm not an economics major, but I did study geology for 4 years.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

rek

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    I fail to see how world oil prices effect us in such a big way. We drill probably about 80% of our own oil needs. The rest is improrted. This % is slowly going down, but still, there seems to be a big con job going on here.
    Most likely because our oil is sold on the international open market, rather than at "mate's rates" for local oil consumers.

The Singapore oil futures index/exchange thingy rings a bell as to where our oil is sold ? I can't remember know any of this stuff anymore
    Last edited by rek; 12th August 2004 at 02:24 PM.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Back to the original thread. Don’t forget that by 1 July 2008 (yeah it sounds a long way away now) excise on LPG is to be introduced at 2.5cpl, which will increase by 2012 to 12.5cpl. So the current price difference between petrol and LPG may not be as economic as it is now. However there is an awful lot of gas to flow through the pumps between then and now. ……

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Personally I think we should get rid of car registration, 3rd party insurance should be on your license, ie: anyone holding a license is covered for injury insurance (after all you can only drive one car at a time, having to pay insurance for every car you have registered is bloody ridiculous ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Shane been suggesting the same for a while now. That way you can have different cars for different reasons without having money sitting in the shed doing nothing.

Personally I dont think oil will run out in the forseeable future. It will however get to a point known as the hubble peak where the controlling bodies will produce less and less, causing the price to rise continually.

sniff sniff ah smells like fish and chips coming from your car Biodiesel
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

XTC

Anything that helps get those V8 4WD's off the road is a good thing !!! Maybe people will begin to think about fuel economy again (like in the 70's).

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Icon7

Oh tell me again why any ONE person needs more then ONE car - as you rightly said "can only drive one car at any given time" ... ???
    'cause they're Citroens, thats why.... well you need a bit of a backup when ya gotta get parts for the one or two or three that aren't running
    but.. but.. we have two drivers in the household sir and and we're about to inflict another (if he can behave himself for 20mins during his driving test - but that's another thread)

My point is of course, we use no more fuel, owning one car than if we had fifty... ooh I'd like that Actually I had this conversation on the phone today with Ken W, the cars are part of the family so which one am I going to cast out like some dirty rag doll...hmmm you tell me, yeah, how'd you like to have that on your conscience umm yeah I thought not

I knew you were baiting Guy, just having some fun

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

A spare car could be handy when your car is stuck at the panel shop for a month.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    A spare car could be handy when your car is stuck at the panel shop for a month.

Troy.
    TroyO, me thinks the blood is rushing to your head

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Look on the bright side - as petrol prices go up so will demand for smaller cars. Might pave the way for the frogs to become real volume players out here.
    unfrogged (for now)

Default diesel

What about us crude oil drinkers?? What is the prospected outcome of the price of diesel?? Could never understand why diesel costs more than petrol considering that it is lower on the refinery process!!!!

Here we come biodiesel!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Alrighty I'm loading my shotgun and heading out the door now .... Where do you live again don't even suggest such a thing incase the government gets hold of it

We wouldn't then have an issue of people driving unregistered/uninsured cars as all licence holders WILL be insured. All cars MUST be insured (sorta like the UK) even if it's 3rd party property, you should have to display your insurance certificate where the rego label currently is.

Hows that grab ya

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Great idea Shane. Fantastic.

Yes, I was surprised to see that diesel & petrol are similarly priced in Oz. In NZ petrol has just gone to an almost all-time high of $1.21.9c per litre and diesel has just gone from 69c per litre to 75c per litre. Must remember that there is a road tax to pay separately for diesel vehicles however, (purchased in $200 lots for 10,000km or thereabouts) making the real price of derv @ around 90c per L.
    Paul

XTC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails High petrol prices....-harville.jpg  

Now this is a .sig

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    If petrol goes to $3 a litre then LPG will go to $2.50 a litre. not a great saving really.
    I don't believe this would be the case. LPG prices in Sydney are still the same/similar to what they were 2.5 years ago and petrol prices have gone up alot since then. LPG is currently hovering around 33.9-37.9 with the odd servo selling it for 43.9 sometimes. The "regulars" I visit are all in the 33.9 ballpark.

Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free

By the way, I'm not an economics major, but I did study geology for 4 years.
    Hi Stone Free...I agree with you about the big con job going on. When the Fraser Govt. introduced Petrol 'World Parity Pricing' the price shot right up very fast and has never looked back. Govt. revenue is directly connected to petrol prices, so the more reasons they can find to increase the price the better for them.
    Also, I've heard people who have petrol paid for them as one of the perks of their job...they're happy every time the price goes up...it's like a pay rise for them.
    Buggers.
    BTW...is your name a reference to the Late and Great JH? If so..I'm a huge fan.
    Cheers...George. 1/8th.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information