C5 is OK and the D as well
  • Register
  • Help

Icon7 C5 is OK and the D as well

Just had a great week, the C5 which has been giving me hell in the auto transmission department at last has found a dealer who knows what to do with it. The dealer I bought it from has been de-dealered and a good thing too, so I took it to Melbourne Citroen and they plugged in the laptop took it for a spin came back with the verdict that it needed new Electovalves, now its better than when I bought it 2 years ago. The other good thing was scoring 4 free new tyres as part of the wheel recall.

My ID19b has always been harsh at speed with and floor resonating no matter what i did. Luckily last week the muffler snuffed it so I ordered a new one from the exhaust joint and $320 later I have a smooth car, 2 Cits reprieved in one week.

Advertisement
    Mark McKibbin

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by markm

Just had a great week, the C5 which has been giving me hell in the auto transmission department at last has found a dealer who knows what to do with it. The dealer I bought it from has been de-dealered and a good thing too, so I took it to Melbourne Citroen and they plugged in the laptop took it for a spin came back with the verdict that it needed new Electovalves, now its better than when I bought it 2 years ago. The other good thing was scoring 4 free new tyres as part of the wheel recall.

My ID19b has always been harsh at speed with and floor resonating no matter what i did. Luckily last week the muffler snuffed it so I ordered a new one from the exhaust joint and $320 later I have a smooth car, 2 Cits reprieved in one week.
    That's great news Mark, we've had no trouble with the auto on our C5, so when I hear other owners complain I start to question my own perceptions, I don't drive it that often but when I do I really can't fault it. Now tell me more about the wheel recall, were you advised by your service agent? we've heard nothing official from Citroen, only rumours on AF and Cit Bulletin Board..... we are about ready for new tyres

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

AFAIK the recall is only for cars that left dealers with steel wheels fitted. However on this one I could be wrong.

Contact your dealer and check with them. It was actually a tyre fault not a wheel fault.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    AFAIK the recall is only for cars that left dealers with steel wheels fitted. However on this one I could be wrong.

Contact your dealer and check with them. It was actually a tyre fault not a wheel fault.
    Oooh Oooh choose me, choose me.... we've got steel wheels

I'm glad of that too, you should see the state of the hubcaps on the C5, Mrs GB has PBF..... optional extra I could do without Park By Feel... crunch!!! that must be close enough.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

You might be right about the recall being about tyres....but I think they replaced wheels and tyres. I was asked if the car was a sedan or wagon and if I have plastic wheel covers, which would indicate alloys also were recalled. Anyway mine were steel and had gone around lots of times (50K) so it was a pretty good deal as the old tyres were just about gone. BTW the letter came from ATECO ages ago.
    Mark McKibbin

Icon11

You might be right about the recall being about tyres....but I think they replaced wheels and tyres. I was asked if the car was a sedan or wagon and if I have plastic wheel covers, which would indicate alloys also were recalled. Anyway mine were steel and had gone around lots of times (50K) so it was a pretty good deal as the old tyres were just about gone. BTW the letter came from ATECO ages ago.
    Mark, do you have a copy of the letter, might get you to fax a copy (07) 3391 2766

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    Mark, do you have a copy of the letter, might get you to fax a copy (07) 3391 2766

Cheers
    Chris
    I will check at work although I may have circular filed it
    Mark McKibbin

Fellow Frogger!

Umm, actually they are alloy wheels that are being recalled. These wheels look like steel wheels, including the plastic hubcaps. Test yours with a magnet if you are not convinced. Apparently they are replacing wheels & tyres, including the spare. I have the letter for my wagon (built April 02) but I haven't had it done yet.

Here's what's being recalled:

14,110 C5s VF7D***76003512 to 76436342 with pressed aluminium wheels recalled because wheels may crack around the fixing holes. Wheels to be replaced.

Cheers,

Barry.

UFO

Thanks for the clarification Barry.

The rest of you please note that this is one occasion when I was wrong
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks for the clarification Barry.

Yep, thanks Barry, very comprehesive. I think it might rule my car out I'd be very suprised if our wheels were alloy, but I'll try the magnet trick.

I think I'll be buying new tyres

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Quote Originally Posted by barryg
    Here's what's being recalled:

14,110 C5s VF7D***76003512 to 76436342 with pressed aluminium wheels recalled because wheels may crack around the fixing holes. Wheels to be replaced.

Cheers,

Barry.
    Well you learn something everyday, I tried the magnet trick and sure enough they are alloy...with plastic trims. Be careful when testing as there is a steel ring/clip behind the plastic trim. I didn't know their was such a thing as pressed alloy wheels. Cunningly disguised as steel!
    Mark McKibbin

Default new Electovalves!!! WTF are those?

Melbourne Citroen and they plugged in the laptop took it for a spin came back with the verdict that it needed new Electovalves, now its better than when I bought it 2 years ago. :
    Hi Mark
    what are these Electovalves, so were they defective from day 1??
    Is this the equivalent of an auto gearbox COM2000 experience & another substandard part from new?
    Curious to know how much of the gearbox had to be dismantled to fix them.
    Froggy electrics are getting like Micro$oft software - the 3rd version gets it right.
    So many projects - so little time.

Pressure is on now still 4 mths to go in the year and you have used up your one wrong.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

1000+ Posts

The Laguna has pressed alloy wheels - I didn't know the C5 had them - I guess it's probably the same manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Pressure is on now still 4 mths to go in the year and you have used up your one wrong.
    He's doing pretty well though, still has 'phone a freind' and 50/50

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole

This information might be a bit late by now but the replacement is five rims, four tyres (not the spare) all wheel nuts and a new wheel wrench. The question asked is for the owner to verify that the wheel covers are plastic which apparently verifies that the rims are steel.

I haven't had mine done yet as my dealer can only handle ten units a week due to storage problems??? but I received my letter in June.

Hope this helps to clear things a bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The rims are alloy not steel although they look like steel (a magnet proves they are not steel)
    Mark McKibbin

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    Yep, thanks Barry, very comprehesive. I think it might rule my car out I'd be very suprised if our wheels were alloy, but I'll try the magnet trick.

I think I'll be buying new tyres

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 was serviced on Friday (24th) and received it's full set 5 wheels and tyres (as part of Cit recall), I did the magnet trick and sure enough the old wheels were alloy. As far as I know we did not receive an official letter, so worth checking with your service agent.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information