The Xantia tango
  • Register
  • Help

Default The Xantia tango

One thing I have noticed about my recently acquired Xantia is it's propensity to go up and down at the front quite quickly while it is idling. It is a little disconcerting. My GS & DS used to do this a bit in a gentle fashion, but the Xantia drops to it's knees quite sharply & suddenly after about 15 secs of idling (at the traffic lights for instance), then after another 15 secs rises rapidly as well. If one just sits idling, it repeats the process over and over at 15 sec intervals. The spheres were all attended to in April to my knowledge. Is this the norm? Under normal driving it rides "as usual" & nothing untoward is noticed. We call it the Xantia Tango, much more athletic & robust than what we remember of the GS & DS Danube Waltz when the vehicles are idling.
    Paul

Advertisement

UFO

Just as a first hunch it could be a faulty flow divider valve in combo with a sticky set of struts. Other comments will flow from other members I am sure.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I have a non-hydractive wagon and it doesn't do the tango except very occasionally. They do go up and down a bit when you are turning sharply say during parking manouvres and like (due to the stupid way the antiroll bar is attached to the swivelling struts instead of the static lower arm).

I'd say your height correctors are a bit sluggish and the car is overcorrecting when it changes its height. Don't know why it does this at idle and not when moving. It could be that you have the earlier pump and FDV system which can produce a lot of high pressure flow quickly. The later Xantias (and mine is one) have a split LP/HP pump which only has two HP pistons so flow delivery to brakes and suspension is much slower.

My suggestion would be to get your hydraulic system LHM flushed and changed and hopefully this might help sort out the height correctors.

Good Luck

Hi Paul -

It's definately not normal behaviour to a Xantia with tango dancing.

Have driven a CX for 9years - and is now on my 6.th BX - and have only experienced this once - on our 2.nd BX.

This BX had so badly worn O-ring seals in the front struts, that the LHM pressure was leaking back the return lines to the reservoir, at a rate just exactly a bit faster than the HC could cope with (or whatever egg & hen )

The result was that the front height was oscillating slowly, also during drive.

One thing remains on your symptom description :
    I presume the oscillating height is between the lowest and normal height positions ?

I'd have the front suspension cylinders leak back tested - and also test the operational return from the HC - to find a sure pointer of the problem.

Tadpole

Hi Paul,

If you need to buy LHM fluid for your Citroen, I found that Te Rapa Mufflers and Brakes are the Total agents. They sell Total LHM at a lower price than our local Citroen agent. They are down the service lane in Te Rapa Road.
    The Citroen wrecker in Woodward St, Alan Sklenars, may have advice about your "tango" problem and John Wildeboer of JJ's Car Services in Cambridge is apparently very good with Citroen's. I had him recommended to me by people in the Citroen Car Club.

My BX front HC seems to stick a little bit sometimes - but it is probably related to the slightly sticky front struts - a typical BX trait. As I understand it Xantia's have an improved front strut that lasts longer than the BX ones.

Cheers,

Scott

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by ScottFromNZ

My BX front HC seems to stick a little bit sometimes - but it is probably related to the slightly sticky front struts - a typical BX trait. As I understand it Xantia's have an improved front strut that lasts longer than the BX ones.

Cheers,

Scott
    Scott, have a look at this post by Alan S re: BX front struts

Lubricating BX Front Struts

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thanks All, I'll consider all of these & various combo's. Scott - we must get together. I've had a service at JJ's - very good. One thing waved a flag and that was Kens comment about the problem showing up when undertaking parking manouvres. It flagged for me, that it happens while waiting at a particular set of lights where I do a sharp left turn AND I also have a sharp dogleg getting into my garage (and I park waiting for the door to go up) AND I have sharp turns waiting to get into traffic and, on test, YES, it is while on reasonably hard steering lock that this phenomena of exaggerated "up and down" at the front is very noticeable.
    I have also noticed that the car rides slightly harder at the front than the rear, although I think that would be standard for most. The harder Pirelli's on the front versus against the rear Michellins (all on 16" Mags) may also be a variable in this. Thanks one and all
    Paul

Thread Information