Got myself a citroen xantia v6
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Icon10 Got myself a citroen xantia v6

As the title says yesterday i picked up my 1999 citroen xantia 3.0 exclusive. She is in great condition inside and out. An absolutley amazing car to drive, and she has some real get up and go (for an auto) especially when overtaking.

Here are some pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/100_4463.jpg

Advertisement

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/100_4462.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/100_4469.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/100_4465.jpg

Thanks for all the help you guys gave me in chosing this car it is certainly worth the money. (will post some interior pics tonight)

good to hear you got a frenchie , looks like a really nice example of a xantia to if i dont say so myself... how many $ did it set you back if you don't mind me asking... also and correct me if i'm wrong people but arent these the 180hp 24v prv's ??
    Last edited by orestes; 11th August 2004 at 02:15 PM.

Congrats on the new ride. Very nice! Looks to be in excellent condition.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    good to hear you got a frenchie , looks like a really nice example of a xantia to if i dont say so myself... how many $ did it set you back if you don't mind me asking... also and correct me if i'm wrong people but arent these the 180hp 24v prv's ??

yes and no

i think you will find it is the 60deg engine not the 90deg PRV but i may be wrong but i think you may find that it is basically the same engine in the 406 V6 cars that are also 60deg

this engine is what they kinda refer to as the next generation

the PRV started life in 75 and went through a few changed over the years
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

just to clarify a little bit

The origins of the PRV V6 -engine lay in the contract of April 1966 where Peugeot and Renault agreed for a partnership in manufacture of common mechanical parts.

In 1969, their first joint subsidiary, La Francaise de Mecanique, was created.

The location of factory, and hence also the future place for the PRV V6 production, was chosen to be Douvrin, a satellite town of Lens in the very North of France.

It was in 1971 that Peugeot and Renault decided to join their forces with Volvo to design and produce V-engines. They created the PRV company, a PLC in which each patner had a one-third share. The original plan was to create a V8-engine.

Reasons why the PRV Engine became a V6 instead of a V8 are many. The energy crisis had extended the market for six-cylinder engines. The French taxation policies of the early 1970s resulted as clearly lower retail prices for cars with engine capacity less than 2.8 liters. But perhaps most importantly, Renault needed a V6 to be installed into its new model, the 30 TS. The V6 matter was somewhat less important for Peugeot or Volvo, since their fresh models could easily fit a V8 as well.

But why a 90 degrees V6 ? There was no obstacle for using those angle instead of a completely new design, since only few years earlier the Citroen had successfully commenced Maserati to produce a cut V8 engine
    (resulting in a 90 degrees V6) for its sporty SM model.

It is highly evident that, the decision to produce a V6 instead of a V8 exactly earned the PRV Engine its importance, and hence the extensive application both in the automotive industry and in the motorsports.

The Douvrin PRV V6 was an engine that had two generations. All the original PRV V6 applications had the feature of different ignition timing for each cylinder bank. This was necessary due to the 90 degrees specification, in order to make the engine smooth-running. Second generation was introduced in 1986 with the Peugeot 505 V6. In practise the engines had 30 degrees offset crankpins to give the even firing intervals of a 60 degrees V6.

The first Machinery aimed for building the PRV (or "Z") Engines arrived to the FM Location in Douvrin in the beginning of June, 1973.

The 'Z' factory buildings for the PRV V6 Production were completed on January, 1974.

The Introduction of the Douvrin PRV V6 Engine officially took place on 3rd of October, 1974. The First Car Model that received the new Engine was the Volvo 264, shortly followed by the Peugeot 504 Coupé & 504 Cabriolet. In March 1975, the PRV V6 was introduced in two Further Models, Peugeot 604 and Renault 30 TS.

On October 1976, the Renault Douvrin V6 was introduced in the Renault Alpine A310 sportscar. In 1977, the Meyrignac Coupe with the Renault Douvrin V6, was introduced at the Geneva Motorshow.

In 1980, a new version of the Peugeot Douvrin V6 was introduced in the Talbot Tagora. In 1981, the DeLorean DMC-12 received the PRV V6.

In February 1982, the Z154-4 type was introduced in the Volvo 760 GLE. Year 1984 brought the new Renault 25 model, also available with the ZMJ-Z7V type PRV V6 Engine. Also the very first Turbocharging of the engine in a production road car appeared, being the Z7U variant for the Renault 25 V6 Turbo. Later same year, the Douvrin PRV V6 Engine was introduced in the Renault Alpine V6 GT / GTA and in the Lancia Thema 6V.

In 1985, the PRV V6 appeared in the new Volvo 780 Coupe.

July 1986 was a very significant moment for the Douvrin V6 Engine: the Second Generation of the Engine was introduced with the ZN3J type of the Peugeot 505 V6. The new engine had 30 degrees offset crankpins to give the even firing intervals of a 60 degrees V6. Also a Turbocharged version of the Renault Douvrin V6 appeared with the MVS Venturi sportscar

In 1988, the American Eagle Premier got a PRV V6. In 1989, Citroen's new XM got the Peugeot Douvrin V6 of the ZPJ type. Peugeot 605 followed next year. In 1991 was the turn of the Renault Alpine A610 to make use of the PRV V6. After that, the PRV V6 was still applied in the Renault Safrane & the 1st generation Laguna V6.

One of the very last cars that used PRV V6 in their production was the Helem V6 Coupe sportscar.

The Production of the Douvrin PRV V6 Engine was stopped on 15th of June 1998, after total of 970315 Engines Completed.

you can find out more little bits and pieces here if you like

http://members.fortunecity.com/douvrinprv/index.html
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    yes and no

i think you will find it is the 60deg engine not the 90deg PRV but i may be wrong but i think you may find that it is basically the same engine in the 406 V6 cars that are also 60deg

this engine is what they kinda refer to as the next generation

the PRV started life in 75 and went through a few changed over the years
    i beleive at one stage or another that the PRV found its way into the xantia... wether it coincided with any model that was released here is another story

i beleive at one stage or another that the PRV found its way into the xantia... wether it coincided with any model that was released here is another story
    Perhaps in the series 1 Xantia? Did we get the series 1 Xantia here as a V6?

Troy.

Tadpole

how many $ did it set you back if you don't mind me asking... also and correct me if i'm wrong people but arent these the 180hp 24v prv's ??
    Cost me 22,000 which was a little more than i wanted to spend but oh well.

In terms of the engine i cant answer your question other than telling you it generates 140kw.

And now we come to a problem the rear of the car seems to jump extremely bad when going over a bad pot hole or speed bump. Now i dont really know what the suspension is supposed to be like but this cant be normal as it is so violent it actually hurts my neck and anyone else in the car as well making tell people clang there head on the roof. If anyone could tell me what causes this or indeed whether this is normal (my mum who has driven citroens before says no its not but shes no expert) any help would be apreciated so i can get the delaer to fix any problem under warranty

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The rear spheres and H/A sphere under the back probably need regasisng. I suggest you get all the sphere's regassed.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    The rear spheres and H/A sphere under the back probably need regasisng. I suggest you get all the sphere's regassed.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Ahh ok ill ring the dealer tommorow and see (he did a 100,000 service for me would that include regassing)

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by bob the canibal
    Ahh ok ill ring the dealer tommorow and see (he did a 100,000 service for me would that include regassing)
    Euon, firstly congrats on the new car lucky bugger very nice.

I'm a bit concerned with your dealer though, are they Citroen approved?? Your spheres sound like (as Shane has suggested) they are in serious need of regassing. A well sorted Xantia has a very respectable ride, the rear should float over potholes. Any 'reputable' Citroen dealer wouldn't let a car off their lot in the condition you describe, you need to get it attended to by someone who knows Citroen..... send the bill to your dealer

Let us know how you get on, you should look at joining NSWCCC they have facilities for regassing.... good luck

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    Euon, firstly congrats on the new car lucky bugger very nice.

I'm a bit concerned with your dealer though, are they Citroen approved?? Your spheres sound like (as Shane has suggested) they are in serious need of regassing. A well sorted Xantia has a very respectable ride, the rear should float over potholes. Any 'reputable' Citroen dealer wouldn't let a car off their lot in the condition you describe, you need to get it attended to by someone who knows Citroen..... send the bill to your dealer

Let us know how you get on, you should look at joining NSWCCC they have facilities for regassing.... good luck

Cheers
    Chris
    Yeah the car is beutiful except for the rear suspension which does the same even in sports suspension mode. Yeah im worried about the dealer to although they do sell new citroens from two locations and have been very good so far (lets hope its not the typical dealer where there nice until theyve sold you the car and then they do u up the A#$#). NSWCCC ill plead ignorance and ask what it means?

Icon12

Yeah the car is beutiful except for the rear suspension which does the same even in sports suspension mode. Yeah im worried about the dealer to although they do sell new citroens from two locations and have been very good so far (lets hope its not the typical dealer where there nice until theyve sold you the car and then they do u up the A#$#). NSWCCC ill plead ignorance and ask what it means?
    NSW Citroen Car Club... come on Bob
    Seriously the joining fee will be the best investment you will make after your recent purchase. Contact AF member UFO - Craig, for details.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

UFO
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Ahh cheers will sign up then.

UFO

Ahh cheers will sign up then.
    The next Tech Day is in Sydney (Kellyville) on Sept 26th, but I suggest you get your dealer to check the spheres before then.

Come along and learn about your car and get the (many) cynical eyes passed over it!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Bob,

the suspension shouldn't feel any different in sports mode. In the Hydracitive 1 cars you actually put the car straight into sports mode by pushing the button. In hydractive II cars like the Xantia the button just changes the datum points. ie: With the button on it will change into 'sports' mode much more quickly than with the button off. The equivelant I guess is an automatic gearbox with 'sports mode'. It's really the same gearbox, but by pushing the 'sports' button it'll hold the gears for longer. In this case it'll switch over to sports and stay there with much more eagerness.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Bob,

the suspension shouldn't feel any different in sports mode. In the Hydracitive 1 cars you actually put the car straight into sports mode by pushing the button. In hydractive II cars like the Xantia the button just changes the datum points. ie: With the button on it will change into 'sports' mode much more quickly than with the button off. The equivelant I guess is an automatic gearbox with 'sports mode'. It's really the same gearbox, but by pushing the 'sports' button it'll hold the gears for longer. In this case it'll switch over to sports and stay there with much more eagerness.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Ahh thanks for clearing that up

Icon10

Ahh thanks for clearing that up
    There ya' go Euon.... bet you never had this much support and enthusiasm driving the S**b

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole

There ya' go Euon.... bet you never had this much support and enthusiasm driving the S**b

Cheers
    Chris
    Definatley not the support from this forum is great and a very good educational experience. Cheers all.

Icon1

Bob welcome to AF. This is a great place to learn heaps from heaps of people. You have to join the NSWCCC for sure though. I think they do regassing of spheres on cars like yours for like a measley amount. The tech days are a regassing extravaganza. I dont need this with my C3 but lots of knowledge there & a great bunch of people compared to other clubs....

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Bob welcome to AF. This is a great place to learn heaps from heaps of people. You have to join the NSWCCC for sure though. I think they do regassing of spheres on cars like yours for like a measley amount. The tech days are a regassing extravaganza. I dont need this with my C3 but lots of knowledge there & a great bunch of people compared to other clubs....
    Yeah, we haven't quite worked out how to regas the spheres on a C3 yet - or a Xsara for that matter. We did work out the 2CV once, but the owner decided that having to carry a ladder was a pain in the butt!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Apparently according to my dad (he said he wouldnt help out me with this car cause it wasnt a saab now he wont leave it alone talk about love at first sight) and the service people he called at the dealer they both believe it to be something to do with some kind of anti roll sensor which apparently fail but they are not ruling out the spheres needing a gassing or replacement.
    Ill have to wait a couple of weeks cause the dealers special citroen diagnostic computer is broken so they cant diagnose and fix the problem till that is back from france.

Apparently according to my dad (he said he wouldnt help out me with this car cause it wasnt a saab now he wont leave it alone talk about love at first sight) and the service people he called at the dealer they both believe it to be something to do with some kind of anti roll sensor which apparently fail but they are not ruling out the spheres needing a gassing or replacement.
    Ill have to wait a couple of weeks cause the dealers special citroen diagnostic computer is broken so they cant diagnose and fix the problem till that is back from france.
    Anti roll bar sensor my arse. It'll just need the sphere's regassed. There just lost with no hope of fixing it 'cos there precious computer is broken

Seriously though, if the anti-roll bar sensor (whatever that is) was dead the back of the car would probably default to 'hard' mode causing the car to ride quite poorly. My $$$$ is on it having flat/dead rear spheres (surely that'd have to be the first check anyway, after all it'd only take them 5minutes to test with the car up on a hoist).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

NSW Citroen Car Club... come on Bob
    Seriously the joining fee will be the best investment you will make after your recent purchase. Contact AF member UFO - Craig, for details.

Cheers
    Chris
    I'll second that. I got my BX front three spheres regassed by Bruce E. & joined on the spot on a saturday morning for $105, and learnt a lot of other things at the same time. Just missed out on the free GS too.

Great club, great service & a good investment for your motor vehicle.

Barry.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information