BX TZi vs TRi front seats
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default BX TZi vs TRi front seats

Having driven today a TRi I noticed that the TRi seats can be adjusted to be much lower at the front than the ones in my TZi. This is important as my wife (who is leg length challenged) complains that the TZi is uncomfortable to drive as the front of the seat is too high at the lowest setting.

Is this typical? Or are the seats in my TZi damaged in some way with regards to adjustments?

Thanks,

Barry.

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

My wife complained about her BX19tri seats as well.

Basically they are design with NO lower back support at all, given the disgustingly bad seats and sh!tful accelerator position (that forces you to have you leg hanging and leaves you with leg cramps after 1/2hour of driving) the BX is a bloody awful thing to drive for any distance.

The accelerator pedal I bent sh!t out of to try and make more comfortable, it's still bad to use for any length of time, but it is much better. Not much can be done about the seats, they were basically badly designed crap when new and they have just got older. I fitted a Renault Fuego seat to the drivers side in mine. It's dramatically better with this seat in, but now my head touches the roof with the sunroof cover closed (but good for her as she's 'vertically challenged' ).

The Xantia VSX seats are dramatically better (you just gotta crank the lower back support out as far as it will go). To get a decent BX seat I suggest you try and find some BX16valve seats. Possibly Mi16 seats may be the same

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Having worked in the car industry for some time, I was used to jumping from a mini car to a truck so I don't have the problems adjusting my seating position to suit the vehicle. I tend to drive a bit like Daffy Duck walks; all bandy with the feet splayed outwards and to be honest I didn't have a problem with the Trs. My wife never stopped complaining about it as did the bird who bought the car, so with her, it was decided to raise the rear of the runners so that the seat sat forward. This seemed to sort the problem.
    Adrians TZi I have driven up to 1100 klms in one day without problem and I did over 1200 in the 16V in one stint. I find them particularly easy to drive over a long distance but I have heard of people who seem to have problems coping. Perhaps the fact that I broke my back a few years ago & have a section that goes totally numb as well as pinched nerves in my legs contribute to the way I can handle it? Bloody rugged way to be able to drive a car in peace though.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I tried jacking the back of the seat up for Ang as well. It didn't help much, she still wanted the back of the seat to tilt forward considerably more, but the stupid rotary knob design wouldn't allow this.

I think BX19 gt's have quite good seats (maybe all series I BX's did) however they tended to break there frames as they fatiqued. One problem you will find if you try and fit another seat is the base of the seat is used as the seatbelt mount. I got around this by bolting the seatbelt to the floor with the seat.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    The Xantia VSX seats are dramatically better (you just gotta crank the lower back support out as far as it will go). To get a decent BX seat I suggest you try and find some BX16valve seats. Possibly Mi16 seats may be the same
    Word. BX16v seats are some of the best stock seats I've ever run into in any car more than 5 years old (exotics don't count)

They're the business. The only problem I can see with them is that anyone with a particularly wide bum might have problems with them. My arse isn't big, but i'm not a scrawny lad either, and if I stacked on any more weight, these seats might become uncomfortable pretty quickly.
    '91 BX 16 Valve

I agree the biggest problem with the standard BX seats is the lack of lower lumbar support in the backrest.This then gives the wonderful poke in the upper spine from the headrest support tube. There are a couple of things you can do to really easy to fix this.
    Lift out the squab and headrest
    Unscrew the plastic frame on the backrest and remove. May need a bit of jiggling to get the headrest outer tube free.
    You should now be able to lift the rear skirt and see the steel spring frame. Low down on each side there is a small coil spring which is probably under no load at all with the seat unoccupied. Disconnect the outer end of this spring from its little loop and stretch it forward over the edge of the seat main support tube. It will pull the lower lumbar area forward an inch or so. Some of the later model seats may not have these springs, instead there is a wire rod that runs across the bottom of the spring frame and pokes in a couple of holes in the frame. This is of course way too far back for comfort.
    Try the seat now, if its OK put it all back together, if not go to phase 2
    Grab a square of foam sheet about 10mm thick by around 300 square. Stuff this up between the backrest foam and the spring frame. May need to try a second or even third sheet and fiddle with the positioning to get it right.
    If this still doesnt get it spot on its time for phase 3. you need to stiffen up the complete lumbar area. This can be easily done with a bit of light nylon cord or similar(sash cord is ideal) Run a couple of loops of this across the back of the steel spring frame on the outside, not on the foam side except where it loops around the outer edges of the spring frame. Note this is only on the spring section, not the seat outer frame. By adjusting how tight you tie off on this cord you can fine tune the tension on the lower section of the seat. This also has the benefit of pulling your upper back away from the headrest tube.
    Currently I have been running full phase 3 mod on the RD series 1 for 30000 k and its near as good as a CX seat. The TRI is only at phase 2 and will probably go a bit more when I get around to regluing the foam onto the frame.

Icon6

Comprehensive....

Thread Information