Cit-in!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Cit-in!

Default Cit-in!

Hello everyone down under! New member here, who is thinking what to do for his next holiday! On annother forum, I have heard a Cit-in mentioned in Perth WA in Easter 2005. This sounds like a lot of fun, and wondered if anyone could give me some details? As I won't be bringing a car (for obvious reasons) I will need to know about the accomodation situation i.e. can I bring a tent? or is b&b cheap enough? I look foreward to hearing from you!

Advertisement
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Icon1

Welcome smiffy to aussiefrogs yeah citin is going to be an interesting event.
    www.citroencarclub.org.au
    It will have some information on it im sure. It was just updated recently i think. The NSW club is quite active lots of active members.

Wish I had known last year when I was in NSW! the only CitroŽns I saw were a few Berlingo vans, and the odd C5 at Sydney airport! I will look at the site you suggest, and start making plans!
    Mines a pint of Tooheys old please guvnor?

Even with the good exchange rate youll need plenty of money to drink Pints in WA. Apart from them being hard to get beer over there is fairly dear by Aussie standards. The big glass is a Schooner, and there are far better choices than Chewies (Tooheys)
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

hehehe Well, this may be true, but I really can't drink lager beer as they are tasteless, so that rules out xxxx, and fosters (i know fstrs is a joke in aus), victoria bitter is really a lager, so tooheys old is the closest to english beer i can get. Of course, if you have better recommendations? john s

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    hehehe Well, this may be true, but I really can't drink lager beer as they are tasteless, so that rules out xxxx, and fosters (i know fstrs is a joke in aus), victoria bitter is really a lager, so tooheys old is the closest to english beer i can get. Of course, if you have better recommendations? john s
    Hi there, firstly Cit-in 2005 is being hosted bt the local Citroen club, here is a link which may help you. Should be a great event, now its back on the right side of Australia

http://www.citroen.aceonline.com.au/...05/default.htm

As far as beer goes, yes we pay marginally more, maybe 5% if that, when in a good restaurant but everywhere else, ie: supermarket & bottle shop we pay the same as the rest of OZ, I never drink the local beer unless its Little Creatures or the many boutique breweries we now have. Tasmania makes the best mainstream beer in OZ I'd say, Boags & Cascade. Schooner is not a term I've ever heard in WA? We have pints & middy's, just to clarify that

Be great to get some overseas visitors to WA for Citin anyway, what you should do is buy a good 500-1000 pound 2CV, bring it here & flog it for $7k upwards, almost pays for your holiday. Quite a few club members & Raiders have done this over the years. Best of luck anyway
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

A favorite of mine is Coopers Sparkling ale and Coopers Pale ale. Others that are not bad are Tooheys Extra Dry ... well lots, but can't say I ever bother with VB or XXXX.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

A favorite of mine is Coopers Sparkling ale and Coopers Pale ale. Others that are not bad are Tooheys Extra Dr

Thanks for that Shane, I'll try to remember those when I next get to an aussie liquor store!! Later today, I will start surfing the net to find out the cheapest flights to Oz, and start planning it! Back here in England, we have the CX rally coming up in early september. I wish I could have my car there, but it won't be ready I tried to upload a picture of it, but I must have done something wrong! john s

Quote Originally Posted by zykyra

As far as beer goes, yes we pay marginally more, maybe 5% if that, when in a good restaurant but everywhere else, ie: supermarket & bottle shop we pay the same as the rest of OZ, I never drink the local beer unless its Little Creatures or the many boutique breweries we now have. Tasmania makes the best mainstream beer in OZ I'd say, Boags & Cascade. Schooner is not a term I've ever heard in WA? We have pints & middy's, just to clarify that

Bar prices were 10% higher than in the East last I was there and the WA darties that came over for dart tournaments over here raved at the cheap prices here, so go figure.

How many MLs are in your pint, Hmm 420 that is not a pint a pint holds 600ml just something you have in common with your croweating friends I guess, the inability to measure properly
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Even with the good exchange rate youll need plenty of money to drink Pints in WA. Apart from them being hard to get beer over there is fairly dear by Aussie standards.
    What you been drinking ? ... Pints are no more expensive here then anwhere else.

- XTC206 -

PS: it's Pint or Middy.

PPS: For those wanting to make the trip most B&B's are pretty good and a lot cheaper then some of the city hotels.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Fellow Frogger!

I will be going to the Cit In and intend to be staying in a tent for the duration of the cit in, you won't need much cooking gear as most of the cit in is usually catered, so bring a tent and sleeping gear, or maybe i could lend you our spare tent,

Smiffy,
    I,m with you!!
    Tooheys Old is like Angels piddling on the tongue---magnificent!!!.
    That stuff in W A is cats piss!!
    Cit in should be good as Shane & his band will make you welcome.
    Do your homework re importing a car into Oz, although having said that I think WA may be easier than the Eastern States as far as Registration goes.
    Cheers Peter

Default Beer Beer Beer Beer ;)

Tooheys.........Phooey!!! Bearable but not the best by any means!!!

I thought this may interest someone on the topic of beer. It is from a Canadian travellers website, enjoy! PS More than happy to shout any international traveller a "pint" of Little Creatures @ Citin

Drinking in Australia...
    From a Transplanted Canadian's Perspective!

For someone coming from another country, the world of drink in Australia can be a strange and bewildering place. You see, Australians have created a whole new language to describe drinks, drinking and measures of drinks. You hear questions like "Didyabringagrogalong?" and "Should we take along some plonk for the Sheilas?" Well, for you foreigners, plonk is wine, and if you get drunk on it, you're plonko. And Sheilas, well, if you saw the movie Crocodile Dundee, you'll know the meaning of "Sheila".

Staff having a nice dropIf a drink is good, you may hear "It's a nice drop." If it's not so good, it could be called "Snake's Piss". If you are going out drinking, you are "on the turps" and if you get drunk, you are "floating on ice". If someone says, "It's your shout!", please don't stand up and yell. Just pull out your wallet and buy the next round! And be forewarned, if you don't shout the next round, you will be one of those tight bastards that "wouldn't shout if a shark bit him".

A "stubby" is a 375 ml (12.5 oz) bottle of beer, so named because of its short height. However, a foreign beer like Corona, would never be called a "stubby", even though it came in a stubby bottle! A "tallie" is also a bottle of beer (750 ml or 25 oz), so named because it is taller and bigger than a "stubby" (unless you are in Darwin, where they have their own definition of a "stubby"!)

A "tinnie" is a can of beer. A "slab" is the term used for 24 cans of beer that have been packaged together for sale in the liquor store. A slab, or fractions of slabs, can also be used for relating to distances between towns in the Outback. For example, locals will say that it takes approximately a slab and a half to drive from Ayers Rock to Darwin. It's descriptive, not scientific!

In Australia, when it comes to drinking, convenience is everything. Hence, you get the drive-through bottle shop. Fast, efficient, and the beer is cold. Add to this the fact that Australians are often on a first name basis with their favorite drink and you can see how easy it becomes: Drive in, roll down the window, and say "Bottle of Jack, mate." [Translation - "Could I have a bottle of Jack Daniels, please."] Instead of "Jack", you can ask for "Beam" - Jim Beam, "Bundy" - Bundaberg Rum, or "Johnnie" - Johnnie Walker. Over the years, it really can save a lot of time.

One of the most popular places to have a drink in Australia is the pub, also known as the local "watering hole". Going from watering hole to watering hole is also known as "pub crawling", which is a time honoured tradition brought from the Old Country by the English ancestors. That may explain why Guinness and Kilkenny are so popular with the Aussies.

In the pub, beer is the most common drink. But if a beer is not your choice, you may be offered something from the 'top shelf'. The 'top shelf' really is a 'top shelf' and it is lined with bottles of liqueurs and expensive whiskies, bourbons and scotch. These are the ones that are awarded the praise of 'top drop'!

It's also fun to have a few drinks at a barbie. Now for all of you foreigners, a barbie in Australia is not a doll. A barbie here is one of those social events where all of the men congregate around the barbecue with their tinnies and stubbies to watch the meat cook, while the Sheilas are in the kitchen with their plonk, preparing the rest of the food. After years of observing this phenomenon of congregating around the barbecue, one can only conclude that this may be the only opportunity for Aussie males to see food cooking, given their aversion to participating in the kitchen!

Drinking in Australia is a tradition, a way of life, and many of those who partake are extremely loyal to "their brand". A XXXX Man wears a XXXX shirt and puts his beer into a XXXX stubby cooler. He can provide many rude descriptions of VB. A VB Man wears a VB cap and VB socks and wouldn't be caught dead drinking a XXXX beer. The same is true for those quaffers of spirits. A Bundy man drinks Bundaberg rum, wears a Bundy t-shirt and owns a Bundy Rum hip flask. He is proud to be called a Rum Pig. And a Jim Beam or Jack Daniels loyalist wouldn't drink Bundy Rum even if he was "dry as an old lady's talcum powder"! (There are much ruder descriptions for "thirsty" which censoring laws may prevent us from committing to print).

For a foreigner in Australia, the simple act of ordering a beer can be daunting since the measures and terminology change from State to State. Just when the tourists think they have got it sorted out, they move on to their next destination and have to start learning all over again! To help those that may be visiting Australia from foreign soils, it may help to refer to the following explanation of beer measures which is taken from "The Dinkum Aussie Dictionary".

A Lady's Waist used to be either a 5 or 7 ounce measure of beer once served only in the parlour of a pub in New South Wales, but in Queensland was known as a glass because it was taken as a chaser to a glass or shot of neat rum.

In New South Wales a schooner is somewhat short of a pint which is known as a pot in Victoria but in the aforementioned State a pint is a pint but never has been sold as such because there were no glasses to hold that measure.

A pot used to be a 7 ounce in Western Australia where a schooner called a pint was 10 ounces, but in South Australia if you wanted a Coopers you had to ask for a bottle because only West End was sold in glasses or off the tap.

In Tasmania a glass of Cascade is sold as a glass while in Queensland Fourex comes in stubbies or tinnies.

Just ask for a beer.

We hope that explanation helps!

(Its weird, it doesnt matter which tourist you ask about Australia, they always have a completely different version of everything once they get home!?!)

1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4

FYI!!!! More beer tales

Aussie Beer Receptable Naming Chart
    State

200 ml 285ml 425ml
    New South Wales Schooner Middie Beer
    Northern Territory Schooner Handle n/a
    Queensland n/a Pot Glass
    South Australia Pint Schooner Butcher
    Tasmania n/a 10-ounce 6-ounce
    Victoria n/a Pot Glass
    Western Australia Pint Middie Beer

Aussie Beer Terminology Chart
    Aussie Translation for non-Aussies
    Boutique Beer Hand-Crafted Beer
    Echo Bottle of Beer (South Australia only)
    Piss Beer
    Pissed Drunk
    Publican Bartender
    Quickie Short stop for a Beer
    Roadie Take-away beer
    Slab Case of 24 Beers
    Stubbie Bottle of Beer

Tinnie Can of Beer
    Traveller Take-away beer

1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4

You guys are brillient! I can't wait to get there!
    Got my ZX volcane through its mot today, really happy about that! john s

Quote Originally Posted by petermelb
    I will be going to the Cit In and intend to be staying in a tent for the duration of the cit in, you won't need much cooking gear as most of the cit in is usually catered, so bring a tent and sleeping gear, or maybe i could lend you our spare tent,
    Thank you, that is a very kind offer. No plans have yet been made, so nothing is certain! Hopefully, things will become clearer in the comming weeks. I hope they will have some roasted roo there, can't get it here. john s
    Last edited by smiffy1071; 5th August 2004 at 06:34 AM.

1000+ Posts

Smiffy, there are plenty of pubs here in Perth that sell UK beers anyway, so don't fret, mate. Newcastle Brown, Tetleys, Stones, McEwans, Guinness, Kilkenny, Theakston's, Double Diamond and a load of others are pretty easy to find. And there are quite a few ale styles here, anyway.

And we have exactly the same pints as you over there, not Schooners as someone said. You know, the ones you call a straight glass, with the lip around the glass 2/3 of the way up so they don't slip out of your hand...

Anyway, to you others, there's nothing wrong with a good cold Emu Bitter...especially when it's 41 degrees C.

Pfffffft. Glub...Glub. Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Stuey

just suppose for a moment that i wanted to bring my ZX to the CIT-IN. I have a rough quote for shipping from england for about £700 each way. I gather there would be no GST or import duty as I'm a tourist, and the car would be exported from australia within 12 months of arrival.
    What other laws do i need to comply with? any advice would be greatfully recieved. I know this really is the ultimate madness, but what the hell? #john s

just suppose for a moment that i wanted to bring my ZX to the CIT-IN. I have a rough quote for shipping from england for about £700 each way. I gather there would be no GST or import duty as I'm a tourist, and the car would be exported from australia within 12 months of arrival.
    What other laws do i need to comply with? any advice would be greatfully recieved. I know this really is the ultimate madness, but what the hell? #john s
    Hi mate, there is a thread in the Renault section which has touched on this today.... Import Renault 5 GT Turbo??

I think you would be better off bringing a 2CV or a CX 25GTi Turbo as you would find it easy to sell it over here. Not sure about the CX but 2CV's can often be bought over here at a profit. A lot of guys in the club here have done it & it can sometimes pay for your holiday! Try contacting Geoffrey @ Chevron Downunder on +61 089 371 0092 or [email protected] as he would be a good local contact as far as importing or bringing a car here as a tourist goes. Over the past few years we have had a couple of 2CV Raids & the Tracbar rally & he has liased with a lot of those guys. Bring a nice CX Turbo over & I would take it off your hands!! Hope you make it over anyway, should be a great event & everyone knows West Aussies know how to party better!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4

Well, there is the thought of selling a vehicle, but the reason I am thinking of the ZX instead, is so I can use it to do a bit of touring, it's cheaper to run than the cx turbo, and there aren't very many in australia, so it would be a bit different. john s

Well, there is the thought of selling a vehicle, but the reason I am thinking of the ZX instead, is so I can use it to do a bit of touring, it's cheaper to run than the cx turbo, and there aren't very many in australia, so it would be a bit different. john s
    I guess the ZX 2.0i Volcane would make an interesting addition to the Cit-in line up. There is only one ZX in WA which is an older turbo-diesel hatch. You would probably have the only ZX @ Cit-in!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Nah,

bring the CX turbo. You need a **real** car in Australia. The ZX will feel like your driving a midget car. It'll struggle to keep up with the traffic flow in larget cities

The average car out here has a 3.8litre V6 and get to 100km/h in about 8seconds. Your CX turbo isn't a fast car out here ...

Remember petrol is about 90cents a litre out here, ie: about 30pence a litre

I'll go along with bring out a 2cv or CXturbo with you. ZX's are worthless out here.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by routley43
    Smiffy, I,m with you!!
    Tooheys Old is like Angels piddling on the tongue---magnificent!!!.
    That stuff in W A is cats piss!!
    Better bring your own, cause we won't be buying you a beer with an attitude like that !! <- and this coming from a Tooheys man !!

- XTC -

PS: When did you drink cats piss to compare
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zykyra
    I guess the ZX 2.0i Volcane would make an interesting addition to the Cit-in line up. There is only one ZX in WA which is an older turbo-diesel hatch. You would probably have the only ZX @ Cit-in!
    Z, I'm sure I've seen a Volcane...?!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Z, I'm sure I've seen a Volcane...?!
    You may have? Was it a dk green/blue colour? If so it was probably the ZX owned by Steve the old mechanic @ Allpikes & now @ Southerns, if not we may have 2 ZX's in Perth?
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information