Xsara Trans Linkage
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon8 Xsara Trans Linkage

Just thought i'd mention that i broke the transmission linkage wednesday 28/7/04 in my Xsara VTS. Just a simple gear change from 1st to ... well nothing ...

That Citroen Assist is hell good though, just gave em a call the tow truck arrived within 1/2 hour and i waved my baby good bye as i fanged it off to work in the mishibishi magna

now i am waiting for new linkages to be sent from france and because of the temporory fix imposed on my vehicle it sits silent in my car port. The temp fix basicallt turned into a short shift kit they obviously just poked a bit more of the shaft through the link because it only had a forward backward through of around 1 1/2 inches.

Advertisement

can't wait to get it back on the road and know it'll be fine.

Q.

Default Citroen Assist

Yeah, I agree with XsaraVTS' comments aboot the Citroen Assist service...VERY efficient!
    My VTR dropped it's rear pad rendering my car useless as a Commodore in a Slalom. Rang Citroen Assist, within 1/2 hr tow truck had the machine loaded and off to the dealership...
    Not only that, rang the dealer to explain why there's a Xsara in their yard and was told that Citroen Assist had already faxed them the details!
    Absolutely gobsmacked.

I haven't had to rely on Citroen Assist yet, but it is great to see that they are so efficient.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    Just thought i'd mention that i broke the transmission linkage wednesday 28/7/04 in my Xsara VTS. Just a simple gear change from 1st to ... well nothing ...

That Citroen Assist is hell good though, just gave em a call the tow truck arrived within 1/2 hour and i waved my baby good bye as i fanged it off to work in the mishibishi magna

now i am waiting for new linkages to be sent from france and because of the temporory fix imposed on my vehicle it sits silent in my car port. The temp fix basicallt turned into a short shift kit they obviously just poked a bit more of the shaft through the link because it only had a forward backward through of around 1 1/2 inches.

can't wait to get it back on the road and know it'll be fine.

Q.
    Did the gear box give you trouble before hand ? I've read many other threads about gearbox problems on french cars. I've had no major dramas in my VTS. (can be notchy when cold) Somtimes after extended periods in 5th, I find it awkward to drop back to 4th (seems to want to line up with 2nd ) probably my average driving skills. Keen to hear any feedback

Cheers Pete

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    I haven't had to rely on Citroen Assist yet, but it is great to see that they are so efficient.

Troy.
    they were very unhelpful when i needed them

left me stranded over 100klm away form home. would not put me up in a hotel, would not give me a rental car as i was under 25, this was not in their contract though. car was undrivable.

Did the gear box give you trouble before hand ? I've read many other threads about gearbox problems on french cars. I've had no major dramas in my VTS. (can be notchy when cold) Somtimes after extended periods in 5th, I find it awkward to drop back to 4th (seems to want to line up with 2nd ) probably my average driving skills. Keen to hear any feedback

My VTS doesn't seem to want to go into reverse when cold...it sorta partially goes in, without "clicking" into place. Roll the car forward, do it again, suweeet. Didn't do this when I first drove out of the dealership...
    My

Fellow Frogger!

Is the reverse gear in the Xsara/306 activated by a cable, or is it still running off a linkage rod ? But i too have to rock the car into reverse sometimes, lest there be a bit of a grind when i try to back-back.

The transmission has always feeled a little clunky to me, but i have been told that the major contribution to this is the linkages. I am hoping that these new ones are tight as a virgin and make the throw smoother.

Any form of down shifting to a gear that will put it in the upper rev band is extremely difficult. Those damn little synchro's just wont spool up quick enough.

-Q.

I have always found the VTS gear shift to clunky as well, right up until the last service a couple of months back. Since then it has been a lot smoother. Main problems have been dropping down from 5th to 4th being difficult and 2nd being a littly notchy. I have never had any problems shifting into reverse when the car was cold.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    I have always found the VTS gear shift to clunky as well, right up until the last service a couple of months back. Since then it has been a lot smoother. Main problems have been dropping down from 5th to 4th being difficult and 2nd being a littly notchy. I have never had any problems shifting into reverse when the car was cold.

Troy.
    Yep that sounds just like my VTS. After years of smooth Jap 5 speeds , .I find that change down from 5th to 4th real annoying. Takes the sparkle of the responsive engine....... pity

Cheers Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    they were very unhelpful when i needed them

left me stranded over 100klm away form home. would not put me up in a hotel, would not give me a rental car as i was under 25, this was not in their contract though. car was undrivable.

It's the first time I hear something bad about CITROEN ASSIST
    They have usually a pretty good reputation !

FWIW, we have a BX that decided to drop a gear linkage without warning.
    When it did it the first time, it was a bugga; early one morning on a bush track and motor red hot. Waited on the side of the road, rang son to bring the gear I needed and a set of overalls & he did the honours.
    Worked OK for a couple of days then did it again...$#!+!!!!!! this I didn't need;
    Eventually, it reached the stage of lasting as little as a couple of gearchanges, too stupid to be real so I went looking for a reason.
    First thing I spotted was the teflon retaining ring at the outer edge of the ball cup was broken & had fallen out so I replaced this with a piece of single strand plastic coated copper wire. Worked well for a day, then fell out. Adjusted the distance between the linkages; worked well for a day & then fell out. Ordered a new linkage; wrong one came. Ordered another but by this stage it was getting to the stage that another gear change, another linkage to fit........this was getting ridiculous!!! Took a closer look and found that the linkage on the gear lever was at right angles to the ball on the gearbox when it kept falling off, and where was the ball cups??? Pointing almost on an even plane, so why was it falling off? Because the linkage was trying to pull the balls at right angles whilst pointing on a level plane themselves; it couldn't work. So I removed the linkage (again) and turned the ball cups at right angles t each other so there was no strain when they were engaged. And ya know what?????????? we've lived happily ever after

Could be worthy of investigation by you guys having the gear change problems; after all, it is common sense when you think about it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information