Berlingo driveability woes
  • Register
  • Help
    Wal

Default Berlingo driveability woes

G'day all. 2001 Berlingo. For the last 2 years it has run poorly intermittently.
    When acting up it has poor pick up,a lumpy idle and jerky low speed driveability.Have replaced Map sensor,catalytic converter,purge canister valve,back O2 sensor .Problem persists. Any ideas

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Hi Wal,

Welcome to

It might be a silly question, but what fuel are you using? Faulty O2 sensor sounds to me like you're running it on standard 91RON ULP and not premium ULP (95RON minimum, 98RON is better) that the TU series petrol engines require (I think yours is the TU3JP4).

Do you always buy your fuel at one servo, or one particular brand?

Derek

Wal

Default Berlingo woes

Thanks for replying Derek; Car always runs on PULP ,usually Optimax from 2 or 3 usual servo's or BP Ultimate from 1 servo. Wal

1000+ Posts

No worries Wal.

I'm just sorry it wasn't as simple as I had hoped
    Who is servicing it? Do they have the DIAG2000 system to find out if any errors are being logged in the computer.

This is a very simple, low tech, 8 valve petrol motor which is so widely used because it's simple, and as such known for reliability.

If whoever has been servicing it doesn't have a DIAG2000, I'd be booking it to Continental Cars in Punchbowl (Sydney) because I know they have the DIAG2000. I would have thought all dealers would have one though...

My bet is it'll be something really simple, and all this part-changing monkey-work probably wasn't necessary. I assume you've tried things such as spark plugs and high tension leads, which could have an effect on idle lumpiness? The last thing I can think of at the moment is the idle stepper motor... which could be gunked up. I'd have to go hunt for it on our C3 motor to tell you where it is. That would (obviously) only be evident with the idle problem, not the others.

Lastly, what's the warranty on the Berlingo? Take it to the dealer and leave it there till sorted? Citroen's customer service people have been known to be very good...

Hope all that helps somehow - let us know the answers to those questions

Derek

Does your ECU light ever stay on for a few seconds after the engine is started?

If it does, that means there are error codes stored in the ECU that might help to diagnose the problem. If they are not read within about 30 engine starts, then the ECU erases them.

Alternatively it sounds like it might be a dirty connector problem somewhere. If there are stored error codes, it might help to track doen which connector is playing up.

Keep on posting more symptoms as you think or observe them.

Good Luck

Ken W

Icon7

Hi there I would def bring it to continentals in sydney if they are the only ones with this computer. I know my car gets proxia campaigns at times there.
    The coast is not that far away really just finding the time i guess. I think they have loan cars to borrow such as bx and stuff....

Wal

Thanks fellas. It,s good to get some feed back.Sometimes I feel like I'm butting my head against a brick wall with this car.Here's the facts
    *Car bought at Paul Skewes,Broadmeadow in April 2001
    *Started acting up about August 2002
    *Took it back to Skewes.Put on scope-no fault codes.They informed me
    that the throttle body needed re-setting (According to them a partly discharged battery could cause this)Throttle body re-set,car fine.
    *Problem kept on returning off and on(Mostly on) for 6 to 8 months.I took it back and was informed it needed an internet software upgrade.Duly done,made no difference.
    *Moved house August 2003.Closest dealer was Eurotech,Gosford.Put on scope,no fault codes.
    *Was told that maybe a full sevice would cure it(was due for it's 80,000 km
    service)Car ran worse after service.
    *Next diagnosis was that the cat was blocked.Citroen agreed to go halves in the price of the cat.Cat installed,made no difference.
    *Map sensor next,no difference.
    *Next thing to be attempted was O2 sensor.Left Eurotech because I didn't consider that replacing the front O2 sensor (because they're the ones that go most often) was the right approach-can't they test these things?
    *Changed mechanic to independent fellow (Trained at Peugeot,France)
    *Diagnosed with faulty downstream O2 sensor.Car 80% better.
    *6 weeks later problem comes back.Return car and am informed various Citroens and Peugeots fitted with Sagem SL96 ECU"s (My car)are subject to malfunctioning coil packs damaging the ECU and that I would be better off cutting my losses and selling it.I don't really want to do this as apart from this problem the car has been ideal for me.
    The funny thing is the car has never failed to start,never stalled,never
    given an ECU light.
    Wal

Thread Information