C2/C3 owners with SensoDrive
  • Register
  • Help

Default C2/C3 owners with SensoDrive

I've only had my C2 for a few weeks now, so it is still relatively early days, but........
    1. I reckon that I won't use 'auto' mode except in cases of chronic laziness! I know it makes no pretensions about being a 'real' auto box, but gawd, I reckon its terrible! For example, I have a rear lane access from my garage, and its about 50 metres to the end where it joins the road. In manual, I never get out of 1st gear, but the Senso whacks it into second when I'm barely at walking pace...this results in a slow, vibrating and 'overloaded' engagement of the second gear. Does anybody know just what the parameters are in the box's computer in regard to gear changes? Has anybody learned any tricks tricks to get smoother changes in auto?
    2. I've not yet had my 1st service, so I haven't talked to the mechanics about this. In Manual mode, does anyone notice differences in the speed with which the box completes gearchanges? I haven't been able to detect a pattern yet, but some of the changes - both up and down - can be painfully slower than others, and yet I reckon my throttle/shifter co-ordination is pretty consistent! I've not yet gone searching for answers, but has anybody worked out just what throttle and/or changer actions determine the rate at which the actuators effect the gearchange eg could you 'fast change' (1-2-3) when under acceleration vs 'slow change' (3-4-5) when at speed?
    (PS I put this down to learning.....I absolutely love the car!!!)

Advertisement

Icon2

its a new car I would imagine it would take a bit of getting used too and the box will take a while to bed down and witha few more km on it will be a lot better id imagine.

shifting from 1st to 2nd gear seem to be the most difficult to get it to shift quickly and smoothly. 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th is very easy to shift quickly.
    I've found it to work most effective, if you push the stick and soon followed by releasing of the throttle. However, when you're in 1st gear, it won't be a quick gear change if you release the throttle too much.
    Going for a first service on monday!

BTW, i wish the sensodrive didn't downshift by itself. It's quite annoying because it's inconsistent. When I'm coming to a stop almost (<10km/h) to make a turn, for example, sometimes it downshifts to 1st gear but sometimes it only downshifts to 2nd gear. If I step back on the throttle, the car jerks and vibrates because there isn't enough revs on the engine. I guess I could always downshift myself to make sure it's in first gear, but it's just a little annoyance.

I never use Auto mode unless I'll reach the destination in < 1-2 minutes. In other situations, it's pretty useless and very crappy at best.
    Last edited by coladuna; 31st July 2004 at 11:03 AM.

Looks like we're a happy little band of C2 owners who love our cars but are somewhat less enthusiastic about the Senso-drive transmission!! I've got to admit the description of the attempt to auto-downshift when slowing to turn is spot on - I find it almost dangerous. When the transmission decides that 2nd is go, and it doesn't, until you get it back, manually, into 1st, you're stuck half way through an intersection!

I've now done 3k kms and had the first service, but no mention of reprogramming of the sensodrive logic when in for the first service, which I've read is available from Citroen. Looks like it will be back to the dealer for me. I wonder if it will make any difference.

Otherwise car is terrific with great grip, although low profile Michelins certainly harden up the ride.

Fellow Frogger!

There has been a lot of people with Sensodrive problems over here in the U.K.

Just ask the dealer nicely to install the latest software upgrade from Citroen, Or if your lucky, it might be fixed by magic at the first service, lol

Quote Originally Posted by coladuna
    I've found it to work most effective, if you push the stick and soon followed by releasing of the throttle.

BTW, i wish the sensodrive didn't downshift by itself.
    Yes, I agree with you about the stick push then releasing the throttle, it does seem to produce better results......although still a little inconsistent - some changes go quickly, others really seem to really slowwwww.....

And yes the auto down shift as well! I guess I would like it to be one thing or the other - manual or auto. I'm still coming to terms with the co-ordination required (my previous car was an auto Holden, with column stalks on opposite side to the C2, and my wife's car is a 5-speed manual also with opposite column stalks) so a few times when changing from 1st to 2nd I have instinctively pulled the lever towards me (a-la manual!) and a few times coming into roundabouts or corners I have inadvertently shifted back into 1st because the senso was already doing its own thing back to 2nd!

And maybe this is just plain dog-lazy, but I wouldn't mind a little warning when the box changes itself to Neutral when stationary for a while. Stuck in some traffic the other day, pressed the pedal to move off and a big rev ensued but no movement! A bit embarrassing!

BTW: does the gearbox always downshift sequentially thru' all gears, or would a quick 'double press' bring it straight from 5th to 3rd? (say)

Quote Originally Posted by Grayballs
    does the gearbox always downshift sequentially thru' all gears, or would a quick 'double press' bring it straight from 5th to 3rd? (say)
    I'm pretty sure it always downshifts sequentially through all gears.

Thread Information