What have they done to my baby??
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon11 What have they done to my baby??

As some of you know my son had a parking accident driving my BX 16valve nuff said...grrr

The car is fully insured so is being repaired at The Bump Shop here in Brisbane. I didn't get a pic of the original damage but it really wasn't that bad, small impact to drivers side front guard, smashed mirror and minor scrape on the drivers door.

I decided whilst it was in for repair I'd get a few things sorted at the same time, the paint on other plastic components had deteriorated and in places was worn through to undercoat from over zealous buffing and polishing. The car is certainly worth throwing a few more $$$ at, mechanically it needs little work, I will have to replace rear brake pads soonish but apart from that routine maintenance, throw some of that luvly ELF oil at it

This is a before shot

Advertisement

This is how it looked last weekend….

More pics here

I'll check to see progress tomorrow, more pics will follow

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Chris,

I'm sure SWMBO approved of the bit extra $ to fix up the stone chips!!!

It should look really schmick when its finished - I'm really green now.

Regards,

Ken W

Icon12

hope its going to be ok. Im always worried when i see our cars in these panel shops....

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Chris,

that looks like nice looking work there doing there. NOS guard, new metal welded in the bumper mounts. She'll look pretty good when finished Can you pay the same place to do my CX when you've finished

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Let's hope they put the double chevrons back on the right spot on the bonnet.

Troy.

I'll bet the 17 year old didn't get the credit for the "customising"

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Looks like its going to come out better than new

My poor car is in desperate need of this kind of attention but i'm to poor/busy. Maybe on the christmas holidays

Dave

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Looks like its going to come out better than new

My poor car is in desperate need of this kind of attention but i'm to poor/busy. Maybe on the christmas holidays

Dave
    Yeah, looking forward to eventually getting it home again, if it were not for the accident damage I wouldn't have bothered with the extra work that's being done, the car was very repectable. On close inspection though I don't think there were two panels the same colour, especially the plastic add-ons skirts, spoiler, bumpers, and of course the bonnet. If you look at the first pic above you can see the difference between the drivers door/guard, guard/bonnet ect.

The additional cost to do the work that is not covered by insurance at this time is not that great, finding the rust and fixing is timely too, so I'm happy to look on the bright side

I might have to get my son to park the D for me, I'd love to get it sorted out under the same arrangement, he he, just kidding

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Icon7

What colour car were you hoping to get back?

Chance

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Chance
    What colour car were you hoping to get back?

Chance
    Ha Ha, don't really care as long as it's the same all over, I did get to the point of hmmm.. I could go for a colour change but no, red is is and red it stays

Hey welcome to AF 'Chance' where are you in Queensland??

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Cheers
    Chris

The sunny part.

We may have meet. Do you occasionally drive a XM[silver]?

Chance
    [I like to watch]

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Chance

Cheers
    Chris

The sunny part.

We may have meet. Do you occasionally drive a XM[silver]?

Chance
    [I like to watch]
    'Being There' great movie.... your scaring me Chance.. ummmm yes Silver XM.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

UFO

ALL the best people drive silver XMs. Although after a roundabout incident this morning I was nearly NOT driving an XM. Some people should not be given licences!

BTW - BX is looking noice.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    I might have to get my son to park the D for me, I'd love to get it sorted out under the same arrangement, he he, just kidding
    Cheers
    Chris
    Just park the D at a school/uni for a day, almost guaranteed body damage

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Just park the D at a school/uni for a day, almost guaranteed body damage

Dave
    my dad parked the 505 at uni some dickhead came and kicked one of the doors in... i'll second the fact that universites are good for getting your car damaged you may/may not see or here from the person who did it though

Default All one colour....

Well, all back in one piece, and one colour, very happy with the work done, little things like new nuts and bolts on panels that were removed, new chevrons on bonnet (even if they were meant to be black) colour is a good match to parts of the car that didn't require paint. Apart from the smell there is little evidence that the car has been in the paint shop, they gave it a bloody good detail, not a hint of bog dust or overspray, highly recommend 'The Bump Shop' Violet Street Eagle Farm, Brisbane.

More pics here

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

that looks awesome Chris, just like it has rolled out of the showroom... i will keep "the bump shop" in mind should i ever need them!

The Bump Shop used to be the Citroen Recommended Panel Shop during the latter days of the Maxims era. At least they've learned where to put the Chevrons on the bonnet. When they put a new bonnet on AXGTs car quite a few years ago (for the previous owner), they placed them in the middle!!!! - most unchic. Still I suppose its not a bad as the BX wagon I see around which has the chevrons upside down!!! - I suppose they think they're more aerodynamic that way.

Car looks great Chris - you'll only be able to bring it out on the best of days and you'll need to keep of the gravel if you want the front bumper to stay as good as it is.

Regards,

Ken W

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W
    The Bump Shop used to be the Citroen Recommended Panel Shop during the latter days of the Maxims era. At least they've learned where to put the Chevrons on the bonnet. When they put a new bonnet on AXGTs car quite a few years ago (for the previous owner), they placed them in the middle!!!! - most unchic. Still I suppose its not a bad as the BX wagon I see around which has the chevrons upside down!!! - I suppose they think they're more aerodynamic that way.

Car looks great Chris - you'll only be able to bring it out on the best of days and you'll need to keep of the gravel if you want the front bumper to stay as good as it is.

Regards,

Ken W
    Your right, there's a point at which an asset can become a liabilty, I think I'm close with the BX.... I'm back to driving it as my daily car just the same, 'cause it's just so much fun. I don't like the idea of mothballing but I guess I do need to be more cautious. I fear carparks more than gravel roads though.

Do you remember Peter 'customer service' at Maxims? he went over to The Bump Shop when Maxims closed down, has only recently left, but certainly helped to dispel some of the myths/fears associated with working on Cits and Pugs.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Hi there, just my ten cents worth to say, keep a good eye on them at the Bumpshop! I took an Alfa i owned there after a nasty backwards into a pole incident, and i've got to say they did a crap job! I too had been impressed by their faultless lambo and ferrari restorations on display at the motor show so thought would give them a go...BUT....after travelling from the other side of town to collect car, (told it was finished), was indeed not. When i finally collected it, drove down the road, exhaust making horrible noise, funny rumblings from rear wheels, took it back, exhaust was jammed up against the under from someone bottoming it out on something, one rear wheel was held on by ONE wheel nut, and all the CV joint bolts were loose on the other !!!
    I was of course horrified, they were bumbling excuses.
    In the sunlight next day, the prep job under the paint could be seen to be sub-standard, lots of swirls and sanding marks. Think they just gave my car to the apprentice and went back to the lambos. They also couldn't get the correct rear panel across between the tail lights, so the trim panel went back on in a different place 'cos that's where the holes were!

I realise this isn't a feel good post, just saying, don't let their reputation pull one over you,....watch 'em like hawks !!!

Cheers
    Ralph

Icon7

eMi16, I guess we can only speak from our own experiences.

Sadly yours hasn't been a good one. Personally I have been dealing with The Bump Shop for over a decade now and over this time have come to know the owners quite well. They repainted my CX Prestige back in the 90's and have looked after minor damage on various cars over that time. They have always gone out of their way to do the right thing by me, with the BX they called me twice to come over to view and discuss concerns (once when they discovered the rust and on the second occasion to show me the condition of the rear bumper). The final cost for work done was within dollars of quoted price despite the extra work they undertook, this included supplying a replacement second hand rear bumper (these are something like $1500 -1800 new) and a very neat repair to the rust. The work is maybe not up to the standard of their Ferrari show car, but every bit as good as the paint on Citroens built in the 80's. It must be quite an art to match to what we now know to be a poor standard of paint finish but a finish that is consistant with the rest of the car.

I will say that because I didn't need the car back in a hurry (I have the rest of our fleet to fall back on) I didn't put them under any pressure, they were able to work on it when it suited them, rather than having to meet a deadline.

Again, on my experience I am happy to recommend them.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

That BX 16V looks great! I wish there were a similar bodyshop near me to fix my CX turbo!!

As you can see, it is a very close relative to Shanes car! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    That BX 16V looks great! I wish there were a similar bodyshop near me to fix my CX turbo!!

smiffy 'ol son, you'll have to lay off that warm beer, what a mess ouch!! series 2 and looks like it was a nice car too bit of TLC required there, but well worth it

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071

Yep, there both very close cars, mines 393 NAN I think. The paint on your car looks vastly supperior. The paint lasts bugger all time in our sun.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

all you have to do now Chris is give it a polish

it just doesn't seem to shine quite enough

so when is the lad allowed back behind the wheel ???
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information