BX rear arm bearings.
  • Register
  • Help

Default BX rear arm bearings.

Looks like I have a rear swing arm bearing job looking me in the eye in the near future.
    The symptoms at this stage are the occasional creak/crack as I get into the car, ride not as smooth as I would expect, one rear tyre apparently wearing a bit on the inside. I'll replace them before it goes ballistic & starts looking like it's gone all knockneed or begins to gring its way into the actual arms. By doing it before the event, I hope I can get away by using just new bearings but to save the drama of stripping before I go shopping for bearings, can anyone give me some part numbers? I think I have the SKF numbers for a CX and I think (?) a BX is the same. Any clues anyone? Shane???

Advertisement

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan,
    yep they are the same as CX rear pivot bearings and CX front upper arms too. SKF VKD 23000 if I am looking at the right receipt. I understand new stock may be listed as 24000 but same bearing. Set of 4 set me back $52 plus GST at the local bearing mob.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW
    Alan,
    yep they are the same as CX rear pivot bearings and CX front upper arms too. SKF VKD 23000 if I am looking at the right receipt. I understand new stock may be listed as 24000 but same bearing. Set of 4 set me back $52 plus GST at the local bearing mob.
    Ian
    Thanks mate; I'll pay cash in the hand & save the 10%

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Thanks mate; I'll pay cash in the hand & save the 10%

Alan S
    Hey Alan, I'd be interested to know how you go with this bearing replacement job. I'd like to compare your experience with Shane's one when he did his CX..apparently a real bastard of a job...
    My CX ones are ok for now...fingers crossed.
    Cheers...George.

Have done it both to my CX and a couple of BX'es.

Shane's picture book is pretty good on the CX job - and covers pretty well the pitfalls also on the BX.

There are 2 major differences :

1) on the CX the worst part may well be to loosen/remove the swaybar bolts on the rear (innermost facing) of the arm. Not unlikely to shear the bolts - despite the arm is light alloy.
    Better red heat the bolts - then let cool down before applying torque.

2) on the BX the problem may in fact be the same - except you round off the boltheads for the swaybar
    Here the boilts are 13mm heads, and holds a bracket that clamps the swaybar to the rear arms from the underside.
    Red heating shows good results here too.
    Note that the bearings may have honed out the arm - despite the arm being steel

Anyway : NEVER use a hobby 12edge socket - use a 6edge modern type Round Corner socket for sure grip on the bolts - first off

Thread Information