GS Oil Consumption
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default GS Oil Consumption

Hi guys,

Im in a quandry. I have just built a GS1220 engine for a friend- honed bores, new rings, new valves, valve guides and seals, but the rotten little thing still puffs excessive smoke on start up and at cruising RPM (around 3000).

Advertisement

It has already done about 1200km on the new engine and has used about 1 and a 1/2 litres of oil. A bit embarassing when the EPA might be behind you!

I would appreciate any suggestions as to idiosyncracies with this particular type of engine eg; blocked breather pipes, fuel pump oil seals sending oil up the fuel delivery line or whatever.....

The rebuild should have been a success. What else could it be?

-John
    (and yeah, I know I drive Renault's.....but i'm broad minded )

Using correct grade of engine oil ?

Remember the GS engine range are factory specified for the old type "thick" oils in the 15W40 to 20W50 range !
    Using a modern synthetic thin oil may be "disastrous".

You'll probably never see a GS starting without a blue oil puff from exhaust - it's designed that way !
    All my fellow DK Citroen lovers, having had a GS, remembers this peculiarity.

Dont know if 1.5L consumption is acceptable on 1200Km in a GS - that's for the GS owners to answer here.
    But I do remember they used to be oilcoholics

Wasn't there something to do with breathers or something with these?
    I always remember it being a nono to park a GS on a road with a high crown or in a situation where the car sat on an angle as it tended to clear every mozzie for a 10 mile radius when started.
    Shane's a bit more into these than me and I think Paul still drives one; one of those may be able to shed more light.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yep,

Anders is right, the GS is designed to blow smoke at startup, it's one of the reasons the motor is so long lived.

You did the valves, however it sounds like a valve seal is leaking a little. My little GS has blown heaps of smoke the last few times I've started it, but no doubt it would clear up after a good drive.

Your not running synthetic oils in the motor are you ??? You MUST break it in using plain old mineral oil. My GS has never burnt a measurable amount of oil, however ever certainly leaked enough

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

If you look carefully at the lubrication diagram there is a little cavity around the bottom of the exhaust valve stem. Pressure feed oil from the rocker shaft passes down to this cavityand around the valve shaft, presumably for cooling, and should then drain throught a couple of little drain lines back into the rocker cavity. Is it possible these little holes are blocked with carbon or whatever and sending pressure oil into the exhaust port?

Quote Originally Posted by IanW
    If you look carefully at the lubrication diagram there is a little cavity around the bottom of the exhaust valve stem. Pressure feed oil from the rocker shaft passes down to this cavityand around the valve shaft, presumably for cooling, and should then drain throught a couple of little drain lines back into the rocker cavity. Is it possible these little holes are blocked with carbon or whatever and sending pressure oil into the exhaust port?
    Hi Guys, I'm just wondering whether the oil rings were fitted incorrectly or if the ring 'end gaps' were incorrect. This could easily create this type of problem in any engine rebuild. Maybe someone forgot to replace all the stem seals with NEW ones..that'd do it for sure.
    Perhaps , as you said Ian, about those little holes...maybe they didn't line up properly when the valve guides went in...Just a couple of ideas to ponder.
    Cheers...George. (Been there, made that mistake too...kind of thing..)

P.S....I replaced the 'rings' in my DS21 when I had it...without removing the motor ...worked a treat.
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 18th July 2004 at 11:04 PM.

Tadpole

Thanks everybody for your ideas on the GS oil problem.

The exhaust valve drain hole suggestion is a worry, I did'nt know of that little trick. I'm confident rings and ring gaps are ok, valves, valve guides and seals are all brand new but the pressed in position of the valve guides may be a valid consideration.

Im not mad keen on pulling the stupid thing apart again just to check the heads, but it might come to that.

I'll keep you's posted.

John,

We have 3 GS's in the fleet including a 1220.....we also live on a steep incline so depending on where they are parked (level in the drive or sloping on the incline and even then orientation makes a difference as well) will determine wether the street becomes imersed in blue smoke at start up or just the front of our house!

I too learned the hard way that every GS blows smoke on start up (thaks Paul and Shane)... and that's a good thing (apparently) but as for using oil ... if you can estimate how much is lost in oil leaks ... during actual driving very little should be burnt.

As for the type of oil .... Penrite HPR 30 which SAE20w60 is my recomendation... remember that a GS is very tough on oil.. both oil pressure and more importantly oil temp is much higher than your average car....1.5 litres for 1200k's however is still way too much and I think you will invraibly have to pull the thing apart again... that being the case do it before it damages anything unecesarily......
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Tadpole

John,

I agree with others that a good thick oil eg Penrite HPR30 is a necessity. Did you peg the rings as they apparently did with the GSAs or was that the factory recon engines? I ran a 1220 for 10years until recently. It had new rings fitted before I bought it and used negligable oil once I had the drainback seals resealed. I also found that if the car was parked with the axles level side to side and on the flat or nose slightly downhill it didn't blow too much in the morning. Nose uphill on a heavily cambered road was a smoker for the pollution police.

Thread Information