Xantia Activa - worth the extra?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon11 Xantia Activa - worth the extra?

I have just gone for a bit of a fang in a Xantia Turbo CT; the first time I have driven an upsy-downsy car (tho' in my younger days I was a passenger in a DS) pretty good, no? it seems largely to share the 205's affinity for corners, but without the... lumps, I guess.

So my question to the collective citroen trust is; how much better/different is the Activa version likely to be? I am quite seriously considering adding to the chez whitegoshawk vehicle inventory...

whitegoshawk - car goes up, car goes down. car goes up....

Advertisement
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Xantia Activa CT - Chock full of upsy-downsy goodness!

I can only go on what others have said because I've never as much as sat in one, but I understand the pluses are the way it handles and in particular corners. There's supposedly no dipping under brakes nor leaning on corners and the ride is quite good.
    The minuses are limited to just two; They've got a bloody lot of spheres to worry about. (By worry, I mean if a BX blows a sphere it's easy to find; just push down on each corner. I think these have 10) and if anything does go amiss, you need to have a fat wallet as some of the $itrun $ervice $peciali$t$ can turn some of the aforementioned simple BXs into a multi thousand dollar extravaganza (refer recent postings on this forum) so unless you have a bit of basic DIY knowledge and ability, imagine what a party they'll have with your Bank Account with one of these.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The turbo CT Xantia is pretty much the standard upper end of range model in the Xantia range.

CT means "constant torque" and in effect is a restricted turbo to give as much low rpm engine torque as possible. This in turn gives a very relaxed drive in the car.
    Suspension is the standard Xantia hydractive type.

The Activa model is a completely different car.

- to say it with simple words :
    Dont be fooled by the same chassis/body design

Alan already said the most - But if you like a daily spinner with a "fresh" driving style - I'm dead sure you'll fall in love with the Activa.

Ive only been a passenger in one, and i thought a 16v handled good with stiffer sqheres! MATE its an animal around corners and has a bit of grunt too... Its style/performance/comfort all in one. Ive seen a blue one with a set of 17 inch alloys on it, look OK, im not a fan of the BLING BLING factor.
    1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The activa's sound like an incredible car. BTW: I seriously doubt a 205 would keep up with one around a corner.

Here's a comparison against a BMW and an Audi turbo:

http://www.citroen.mb.ca/Documents/Car/1.html

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

From reviews I've read, there is no body roll during cornering and they hang on quite a bit further than other Xantias. However, when they reach the limit, apparently they let go in a big way. Go to the site below and download the activa movie files to see the effect. It will also help to be able to understand french.

http://sitruuna.unk.fi/pub/videot/Au...oen-mainoksia/

I have a plan to get one fo these at some stage as I think they will become the collectable of the Xantia range sometime in the future.

Ken W

Thanks for the link - now it makes more sense. Love that 80's backing music too!

So the Xantia I drove would have most likely been a Hydractive one?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    The activa's sound like an incredible car. BTW: I seriously doubt a 205 would keep up with one around a corner.
    Well, I guess I'll just have to get one and find out
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Xantia Activa CT - Chock full of upsy-downsy goodness!

A Xantia Activa would be next on my list too!! The Xantias would be the last full-hydro Cits right??

I am a cit convert after I drove my dad's C5 HDi ...so niiicccceeee, just even the family oriented C5 HDi handle so well, the Activa would be absolutely amazing.

However, to my knowledge I didn't think the Activa was imported into Aust..I could be wrong. Where can I find one though??

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Leo
    Tadpole

There's an Activa for sale in the Trading Post (VIC) for $14k.

is that a private import???
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Billy,

Try the Trading Post, Carsales.com and news.com & Drive.com..............they're not quite as common as @$$#0!e$ but not far off.
    There is/was also a V6 X 24 valve Activa for sale on the Cit board from a French guy who's had to go home for a while.
    They were imported here but I understand a bit on teh pricey side.

Alan S

Leo
    Tadpole

There's another one in QLD. Is it easy to privately import? For example, a manual C5 HDi.

1000+ Posts

Leo,

I know you're a new member, but please, do a search before asking.

Importing a car from the U.K? What kind of costs are involved?

has all the answers you need.

Derek

Leo
    Tadpole

Your tone is a little snippy and discouraging, Supermoderator

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Your tone is a little snippy and discouraging, Supermoderator
    He gets like that this time of the month...

I think it's just that this is possibly the most often asked question that always gets the thumbs down due to all the legislation and costs involved.
    However, for anyone interested in just how "modern" this kind of technology really is, check this out:-

http://www.citroen.mb.ca/citroenet/html/a/antigite.html

Whose laying claim to being the first to 'develop' this in the 80s or 90s??? Volvo, BMW or Mercedes??

Alan S

The Activa was sold only as a turbo 4 in Oz. You could buy a V6, but not in Activa.... I don't think this changed after I left Citroen.
    I used to sell them and really loved the Activa. Yes the extra money is justified over the C.T. Turbo; it's just a lot more special.
    However, standard the engines are a bit dull and unsatisfying. A couple of cars we had, had the turbo boost increased from quite low (about 6 or 7 pounds up to about 10 or 11) and were transformed into really exciting little rockets; without being out of character to the rest of the car. The car felt better with about 20 bhp more.
    The no-body-roll bit seems quite natural, and you lose awareness of it quite quickly. A similar system is now available as an option in BMW 5's and 7's for about $5000(dynamic drive). It doesn't need to be a total hydro-pneumatic system to have this feature. It transforms a 7 series, that's for sure.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Thread Information