• Register
  • Help

Default BX 16V... collectable?

Read what's happening overseas.

http://www.bx16v.com/forum/viewtopic...r=asc&start=15

Alan S

PS. I toldja so..

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

dude we cant read that, coz we're not members of your 'LEET club

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    dude we cant read that, coz we're not members of your 'LEET club
    It's on an open board same as the Aust Cit Car Club bulletin board; shouldn't be a problem.
    Anyone else having a problem?

Alan S

I had to log in to view the thread. I can copy and past the whole thing over...
    1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

I was reading on that post how that guy put XM spheres in the front of is 16v. Would this improve handling much? I have used the racing spheres that were used in the 92 Bathurst race and they were so stiff it felt like i was driving on full low rideheight, but it felt like the car was glued to the road thats for sure, i think i might book in at Wakefiled beofre i rebuild the motor and give it a thrash around with the Race Spheres.

So anyone got any pointers on better handling? Speaking of suspension again, i took my car to pedders and told the dude i wanted new springs and shocks - to see what they would say - he sat there for a good 10 mins looking at it and said "ummm mate i dunno what the go is with ya car" is said "yeah either do i it moves around quite a bit" Then he said "oh yeah CITRONS have airbags and stuff, i cant help you"

hahahaaha. It was cruel but funny.
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

Can I offer a little friendly word of advice here before you either wipe yourself out or frighten $#!+ out of yourself and any passengers.
    I would be very wary of getting a suspension on a BX, Xantia or XM too stiff for too long these days given the age of the strut towers.
    Whilst it may have been OK for McLeod in a new car, these days you have to allow for the 12 - 15 years that have passed since then & remember they are rubber and rubber perishes. There's a few threads in here about the strut failure and I'd imagine the constant jarring on the tower could have a very detrimental effect on it's life expectancy and the sight of a couple of struts appearing through the top of the bonnet would make life "interesting" to say the least.
    I understand the spheres they used were also adjustable which would be an interesting feature and a pity one that Citroen didn't follow though into production line cars.

Alan S

Yes im aware of that Alan S. It would have been a temp thing for testing out at Wakefield, i just dont want to spend the cash unless its worth it. I wouldnt consider using this on the streets, not for s**t. Im stupid, but not that stupid!

So my question would the XM sqheres help? Also yes struts though the bonnet would be great! Broken fibre glasss is the best! and the fact that id prob rip the sump off the engine would be horrific. Makes me almost not want to try it
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

Default BX racing spheres

The spheres used in the BX race cars where fully adjustable. Bump, rebound and stiffness were determined by the use of shims within the main valve and the increase or decrease of the volume of gas used!!

They can be used in everyday use but usually it is the dash and interior which suffers the most!!!

At they're softest setting it is still very stiff for everyday use

If new stut hats are used aswell as the use of Citroen Sport strut support brackets you will have no problem with stut tower failure!!!

Tim Tech
    - BX 16V 1992 - IN STORAGE
    - BX 19GTI 1986 - IN USE
    - PEOGEOT 306 S16- DRIVE CAR

Hey Tim (You can use your proper name if you like; nobody will mind) how about some more info on those spheres; I'm genuinely interested as we are preparing a car for sprint work and it would be most interesting to get the full info as there are some fairly well credentialled engineers involved in our project.
    Sounds as though you may have had hands on experience with it????????????

Alan S

Default Bx Racing Spheres

The racing spheres use a double bladder 500 sphere which has a machined stainless steel base valve which accepts from 2 to 12 stainless steel shims which work by increasing or decreasing the valves amount of travel, ie: fluid travel through the valve. this in turn varies the degree and serverity of the spheres bump, shock and rebound, along with variable gas pressures that the sphere is filled at. The less less gas the stiffer the spring and the more gas the softer the spring.

More shims meant less valve travel which would mean lessfluid travel causing less suspension travel causing little bump and rebound and the same in reverse!!

CAMS regulations specify that standard suspension components be used at all times and seeing as a sphere is the standard suspension component they could be changed as often as they like. The Peugeot factory team was stuck (like all the competitors) using the stock spring and shock package with no adjutments. Where as the Citroens had a fully adjustable suspension package, spring rate, bump, rebound, shock, low and high speed bump etc ,including the use of adjustable ride heights!!!! This was a major advantage!!.
    The cars were set-up so that whilst racing the height corrector lever was set in the standard position but which was set much lower than the standard ride height. when it came to scrutineering the cars were checked for ride height with the height corrector lever at full setting which meant they easily passed.

cars were also put onto full height when entering pit lane for a pit-stop and all pit trolley jacks were at a pre-set height meaning only two pumps of the jack saw the car off the ground saving valuable jacking time!!!

Different set of spheres were on hand at all the race meetings with different pressures and shim numbers The spheres were that good that the changing of one 0.8mm shim couid make a HUGE change to the cars high-speed and low-speed bump characteristics!!

I have the diagrams and specs on the spheres but these (as far as my engineering eyes can see) cannot be re-made. These were a produced CITOEN SPORT sphere which also came with a variety of special tools too.

All remaining spheres and tools were sold to a guy in QLD who has a 16v club car and they are still in use!!!

Tim Tech
    - BX 16V 1992 - IN STORAGE
    - BX 19GTI 1986 - IN USE
    - PEOGEOT 306 S16- DRIVE CAR

A fascinating tale, Tim.

Thanks for sharing that with us!
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks for that info, most enlightening.
    Any chance that you can tell me offlist who has them?

Ian R, Alec L or Lance C???

I know all 3 vaguely - reasonably well, and I suspect one of the latter two both of whom I was talking to not long ago.

Alan S

Thread Information