Trends in Europe ...
  • Register
  • Help

Default Trends in Europe ...

... are for diesel cars.

At least that seems to be you guys thinking according to a couple of threads

There is one good reason for this :
    fuel prices

At present Unl95 has just reached (and passed) the magic figure of Dkr9,- (9.16 local currency) pr LITER - which is AUD$2.10/L.

As diesel is "only" Dkr7.31/L (AUD$1.68/L) and you in average get some 40% better mileage in a diesel car - you have the explanation

Prices are pretty much the same all over Europe - with a few exemptions.

Ever heard about / even seen / the small diesel VW Lupo 3L ??
    - runs about 33km/1L diesel in average.
    Although a very expensive car here - it's not that rare on the roads anymore.

Other than that - it's the jap & Korean 1.0L/1.2L small petrol cars that are volume sellers now - at prices around the Dkr100,000 (AUD$22,936) mark.
    Compared to approx Dkr250,000 for an entry level C5.

Advertisement

Trends - or a matter of survival ?

All sounds good but I've never driven a sporty diesel only my '79 Mitsu -Canter truck! (which has never won a drag from traffic lights in twenty years.) Like most Cit drivers i'm not afraid of new tech and look forward to test driving the Diesel C4 if or when it arrives. Perfomance diesel cars will become popular but Aussies don't like change so the process will be slow.

Cheers Pete
    Last edited by Xsara VTS/ Pete; 15th July 2004 at 09:44 PM.

If your experinces with diesels are from late '70 / early '80 diesel cars - then you better prepare yourself for a surprise - even a SHOCK !

- on your next diesel test drive

The technology in diesel engines is now beyond the average petrol engine - propelled by the Europeen fuel prices / tax policy.

Book in for a testdrive in a Peugeot or Citroen HDI / a VW-Audi TDI - or even a german Ford TDI.

- and I'll bet you then understand why BMW had a LeMan 24hr diesel competetion car !

or just drive a BX 1.7 turbodiesel. Flat out, around 120 well run in, enough acceleration and 45 MPG. Midrange torque is pretty good too. Power where you need it, not at 5000 rpm so It is pretty quiet on a run.

Fellow Frogger!

The BX 1.9 turbo diesel that was released in NZ in the 90's has a 0-100k time of around 10 seconds, which back then was quite respectable, and not slow even today.

I used to have a BX 19 diesel (non turbo) which was bit slow at the lights but would cruise happily at 140/150k, and was as quiet or quieter than a petrol at 100k's, and returned 35 to 50 mpg. (about 6-9 l/100k ).

1.9 Turbodiesel? Are you sure?
    The turbo here in Europe was only the 17 engine(1761cc).
    If the 1900 diesel was used, a lot of BX fans in the UK would like to see photos of it because although a few have been modified, it is a pig of a job.

1000+ Posts

a few years ago a turbo diesel won the austrian touring car champion ship. I think it was a Fiat. If i recall against non turbo petrol cars.
    JoBo

Fellow Frogger!

Here in the U.K. the company car tax is lower on a new diesel car because of the lower exhaust emissions against a petrol version of the same model of car.

Performance diesels are around, The new 206 GTI HDI, how about the new Jaguar S type 2.7 HDI V6 twin turbo ( Peugeot / Citroen engine ) The VAG group, Ford, Vauxhall, everybodys making performance diesels now.

A motoring show called TopGear the other week raced a new Mini Cooper against a new Skoda Fabia VRS around its test track, Round the corners the Mini got ahead but on the straights the Fabia left the Mini for dead!

Not too bad for a Skoda DIESEL! & its over £3000 less then the Mini to buy.
    Last edited by LeePower; 8th August 2004 at 01:24 AM.

Thread Information