Citroen Helicopter
  • Register
  • Help

Default Citroen Helicopter

I thought it was weird enough when I found out Citroen made tractors & trucks let alone choppers! Check this out.....

Advertisement

http://www.der-wankelmotor.de/Flugze...elicopter.html

Now thats what you call air suspension! It was to be powered by a 180hp rotary piston engine & had blades which were in stainless steel sheets pressed using a technique unique to Citroen. Some 200 test flights were carried out reaching altitudes of 10,000' & speeds in excess of 200km/h. The project was cancelled in 1979 after a failed joint venture agreement with SAAB never eventualised but Citroen took many patents out which were created out of the project.

Interesting stuff......of course Citroen still flies though! Just watch Carlos Sainz in the Xsara WRC!!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by zykyra
    I thought it was weird enough when I found out Citroen made tractors & trucks let alone choppers! Check this out.....
    Very interesting - I wonder if the chopper on display actually flew, I presume it has a Wankel engine.

Wasn't the orginal engine planned for the DS to be a flat 6 that had a lot to do with helicopter motor design of the 1950's?
    So many projects - so little time.

UFO

Yes the chopper did actually fly and the main reason it did not go into production was due to an overheating problem that was eventually resolved but alas too late. The company at the time was in serious financial trouble and the new PSA management made many decisions, one of which was to cease the helipcopter project and one of the others was to cease production of the SM.

Apparently the chopper was and still is very revolutionary in that it is very quiet in comparison to other choppers.

The sole chopper is still in storage at the Citroen Conservatoire.

Now a link between the flat 6 engines for the DS and this chopper may be tenuous... In fact there are two examples of proposed flat 6 engines in the Conservatoire. One of them has a slight V shape to the engine and another is a true flat 6. Markings on the engines suggest most design and construction work on these engines actually occured in the 1930s - therefore well ahead of the DS's concept even came about.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

As far as I know it did fly, albeit not that much. It says it did almost 200 test flights which is quite a bit I'd say. Would have been cool if Cit had a chopper, have too admit I quite like the fact that SAAB built fighter jets & small turbo-props when discussing the brand. Always an interesting conversation. It is amazing how many Cit owners dont know about its history. To me it is what sets it apart from most other mainstream competitors. Particularly Citroens use of advertising & marketing....you would be surprised to know how many common marketing ploys & sales techniques were devised by Andre himself.
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by 604 tragic
    Very interesting - I wonder if the chopper on display actually flew, I presume it has a Wankel engine.

Wasn't the orginal engine planned for the DS to be a flat 6 that had a lot to do with helicopter motor design of the 1950's?
    Hi Guys, it looks like a small Army Chopper to me, being that colour anyway.
    Cheers...George.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th
    Hi Guys, it looks like a small Army Chopper to me, being that colour anyway.
    Cheers...George.
    Well, having stood next to it AND photographed it, I would agree that it is small, but as a test bed it looks like a pretty cool machine.

Oh, did I mention we were able to go to the Citroen Conservatoire while in Paris only three weeks ago (that long ago!! )

Also included as an added extra is a picture of a very early CX in the foyer of the Conservatoire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen Helicopter-citchop.jpg   Citroen Helicopter-perfectcx.jpg  
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Well, having stood next to it AND photographed it, I would agree that it is small, but as a test bed it looks like a pretty cool machine.

Oh, did I mention we were able to go to the Citroen Conservatoire while in Paris only three weeks ago (that long ago!! )

Also included as an added extra is a picture of a very early CX in the foyer of the Conservatoire.
    So Craig... your feeding out nice little snippets of your trip, I'm just hanging to hear and see more c'mon share.... please preeeeety please

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    So Craig... your feeding out nice little snippets of your trip, I'm just hanging to hear and see more c'mon share.... please preeeeety please

Cheers
    Chris
    We keep getting threatened with the slide night from hell - apparently there are five THOUSAND pictures of Mr & Mrs UFO's travels

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith
    We keep getting threatened with the slide night from hell - apparently there are five THOUSAND pictures of Mr & Mrs UFO's travels

Paul
    Hey Paul, if it happens I want an invite, it'd be worth the drive down

oh sheez who am I kidding, I'm in enough strife with Mrs GB, keep the pics and stories coming Craig.

Of course I could do a 'Deka' and fly down.......

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith

Paul
    Actually it's closer to 6000 but judicious editing is bringing the total down. BTW, surprisingly not all of them are car pics. Some are boring gardens in England.

Thanks to one of the gardens NOT advising that they are open until 7.30om in spring, I missed the opportunity to go to the Fleet Arm Air Museum at Yeoval and therefore didn't get to see inside a Concorde.

Ah well, next time (I win lotto.....)
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information