Aspiring Citroen Owner
  • Register
  • Help

Default Aspiring Citroen Owner

Greetings, one and all....

I have been lurking and reading this forum for the last month or so....because I intend to either purchase a C2 or C3 within the next couple of weeks. The forum has been a wealth of information, for which I thank you all. It will be my first Citroen, but not my first French car, as I have previously owned a Peugeot 306 Cabrio...lovely car!

Up to 30th June, there were five Citroen dealers in the Melbourne area...but since then, Citroen on Lonsdale..in Dandenong..has decided to hand back it's franchise.

Of the remaining four, are there any recommendations or warnings about them?

I must admit to be pretty excited at the moment...I am test driving the C2 and C3 back to back tomorrow....so I will give you my first impressions tomorrow night.

Thanks for your time....and it is a pleasure to be able to post on this forum!

Advertisement

Welcome to Hope you enjoy it here, I'm sure someone from Melbourne will give you a few pointers.

Dave

I love the C3's, they're so cute! You're a lucky one to be able to get one! Personally I think I would like one in bright green or pink... Anyway! I dont know much about french cars I just own one and live with my very own french car fanatic- Dave Anyhoo, have fun!

Welcome to the baord and enjoy yourself here. I have the C3 and love the car i think its really great....

ohh... this thread is so warm and fuzzy

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    ohh... this thread is so warm and fuzzy
    That's Citroen folk for you, we're just a great easy going bunch, none of that nasty agro that comes with driving Renos and Pugs

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

i still have abit of that left in me....

after all. it was a Citroen that got me into french cars.

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    i still have abit of that left in me....

after all. it was a Citroen that got me into french cars.
    Ahh yes I know that Julian, your just a nice guy that strayed to the dark side, you'll be back see you on Sunday yes??

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

yeah i will be there in the clio.... also with a mate in a sign written berlingo

Unless you didn't read my other post, my sister bought the C2 less than a week ago and we are loving it. It looks great and the sensodrive is great in manual mode although the auto mode is a little dumb at times. I strongly recommend it! Tell us what you think after your test drive. GL.

I can give a good report on Melbourne Citroen on Peel Street in North Melbourne. I purchased my BX from them last year and they were great! Very helpful guys, no presure with the sale, just nice and easy and relaxed. They have a good range of C3's there so plenty to choose from. If you do end up getting your Cit from them I would recommend you have it serviced by Bernard Salembier at the Citroen Service Centre just across the road from the dealer. He's a nice guy who knows everything about Cits and doesn't mind you having a look around the service room while you wait- last time I saw a perfect CX AND SM up close!

Hope that helps and good luck with the purchase!

Default Test Drive Time!

Well, I spent a great time yesterday taking the C2 and the C3 out for a test drive.

To sum up in one word "GOBSMACKED!"

First of all, the C2 - a lime yellow little roller skate on steroids! Very comfortable, even for a large fellow like me . Nicely laid out dash and minor controls, and even the digital speedo worked very well. Climate Control - BONUS! (especially in the cold weather that we have been experiencing here in Melbourne!)

OK, let's take off.....slapping the Sensodrive up and down merrily, I soon had it worked out that if you treated it like an ordinary manual, i.e. backed off the throttle when you changed up - it worked very smoothly and efficiently.

Handling - like on rails...I recently test drove the Mini Cooper S - which is no mean handling car - and the C2 is every bit it's equal, and in some cases it's superior. After an hour in the Mini, my wife complained about having a sore back from the hard seats and the harsh ride. The C2 however, managed to combine a firm, sports car ride with compliant suspension....brilliant.

Engine - very impressive for an 80 kW mill - hell, my motorbike makes more than that! It built power smoothly, and somewhat deceptively, so before I knew it, I was well over the spped limit by about 40 km/h..

At that stage, I was basically sold on it.

But, I had to take the C3 Sensodrive for a drive as well, since there are some great deals on them with a sunroof and alloys.

Bigger inside than the C2 - heavier and smoother. Very well equipped, with the suspension and handling biased towards quietness and comfort. Auto wipers and lights were a bit of suprise...before I could work out the wiper controls, they were merrily swishing away, and the lights were ablaze!

Front armrests - what a great idea! The car is really a small limousine.

So now I am in a dilemma - the heart (and hoon) says the C2 - the head says the C3. Supply of the C2 is short - but I can have a C3 almost straight away.....but the C2 really gets the adrenalin going

Off to see the accountant next week - and if he gives the OK, there WILL be a new double chevron in the driveway.

Thanks for making me so welcome, and I hope that I have further news next week.

Cheers
    Tony

I'm glad that you liked test driving both cars. I'd say get the C2! LOL
    As you said they perform very well for a 83kw engine and it handles brilliantly. I didn't push the car too hard through the corner because I was being careful, but the salesman certainly did and it did handle like it's on rail! Very quick through corners. Also the brakes are so damn good. Unless you have kids, I don't see why you should go for the C3.

BTW did you notice any difference between the sensodrive on the C2 and the C3? Supposedly they changed the mapping on the C2 sensodrive which makes it work better than the sensodrive on the C3s.
    Anyway, I'm finding SensoDrive to be amazing in manual mode. However, I must add that it's not as good in Auto mode, but who cares? It should be driven in manual mode anyway.

If I had to fault the car in any way, it would be that it really needs an extra ratio! A 6 speed SensoDrive would be very nice to have. It revs at almost 3500rpm when you travel at 110km/h and it would be nice have 6th gear to cruise along. 3500rpm is a bit too high for comfort and noise level on highway.
    Last edited by coladuna; 8th July 2004 at 11:41 PM.

Tadpole

Default My Experiences

Hi,

I want to talk about the dealers.
    As an owner of 5 Cits over the years (DS23, D Special, Xantia, CX & XM) I have found some dealers better than others.
    The common factor of all the Vic ones is that they are car yards and NOT Citroen lovers. None come within a bulls roar of Continental Cars in Sydney.
    However, I have bought many cars and am a professional salesman so I can spot the shonks .
    The only dealer I can recommend is the new Lance Dixon Franchise in Doncaster. They are making a real effort to get the Marque going again and embracing all Cit lovers.
    I have had personal experiences with Citroen Nth Melb and Citroen Sth Yarra which would rule them out. Even the "experienced service department" is not that good.

Don't know about Citroen Brighton though/

Just my 2cents

Quote Originally Posted by Nil Time
    Greetings, one and all....

I have been lurking and reading this forum for the last month or so....because I intend to either purchase a C2 or C3 within the next couple of weeks. The forum has been a wealth of information, for which I thank you all. It will be my first Citroen, but not my first French car, as I have previously owned a Peugeot 306 Cabrio...lovely car!

Up to 30th June, there were five Citroen dealers in the Melbourne area...but since then, Citroen on Lonsdale..in Dandenong..has decided to hand back it's franchise.

Of the remaining four, are there any recommendations or warnings about them?

I must admit to be pretty excited at the moment...I am test driving the C2 and C3 back to back tomorrow....so I will give you my first impressions tomorrow night.

Thanks for your time....and it is a pleasure to be able to post on this forum!
    Hi Tony, I visited the citroen guys in Dandenong and I was neither amused or impressed.
    I'm not surprised they handed the franchise back...( I'm glad they have done this) these people knew NOTHING about Citroens, and the car yard was FULL of other types of cars...boring ones, non French, non Citroens.
    They were just not interested in Citroens.
    I enquired about buying some green blood ..they wanted ONLY $19.50 per Litre!!!
    They also had NO SPARE PARTS...their excuse was that the cars they sell have never needed new parts yet.
    I got right out of there...a total waste of time...I was never going to go back...the guys who have been in the business for 20 yrs or more are the exact opposite of these bozos...
    They know the cars, they have the parts etc etc...
    Cheers....George.

Thread Information